HAL Fly Cruise Plan questions.

ok1881

New to cruising.

I have looked into the HAL website about the Fly Cruise Plan.

I have some questions:

1) Upon booking on HAL website, when are customers going to find out the flights plan?

2) What's the charge for AirPlus Service? We would like to pick the airline and time if possible, and also plan to arrive one day before embarkment.

3) Your comments on the Fly Cruise Plan? Good or just better book the airline tickets on your own.

Thank you for your help!

Peronally, I do not see the reason to use this plan. I always book my own air, that way I get the flights I want, the airlines I like, and control alot of other issues. Plus, I like to get in a day ahead of time to avoid the hassles of same day arrival problems. Further, I normally can save money as well.

DaveOKC

New to cruising.

I have some questions:

1) Upon booking on HAL website, when are customers going to find out the flights plan? Around 30 days before sailing.

2) What's the charge for AirPlus Service? We would like to pick the airline and time if possible, and also plan to arrive one day before embarkment.

I presume you mean what HAL calls "flight deviation" fees. It's been quite a while since we've used HAL air, but IIRC it's $100 pp for domestic flights and $150 for overseas.

3) Your comments on the Fly Cruise Plan? Good or just better book the airline tickets on your own.

Generally lousy flight times and routing (unless you pay the deviation fee) because it's the cheapest HAL can get. We did it a couple times before we knew better. However, on a one-way flight for a repositioning cruise they can be cheaper than do-it-yourself.

My answers in red above.

Catl - nowadays alot of airlines are offering one way fares that are 1/2 the prie of a roundtrip. We are doing a repositioning cruise in Oct and got a good one way fare from American into Montreal and a very good fare from SW put of Fort Lauderdale.

DaveOKC

We've never booked airfare through a cruise line. I checked HAL prices vs what I could get booking my own flights when I booked a cruise last month for Oct. HAL's airfare was much higher than what I could get, so I booked my own. The story's always been the same with Princess, too. I just fly down a day ahead.

YOu want to research your own Air before comitting the the HAL Air program.

I booked my upcoming cruise on the Eurodam with HAL direct. Since it was a repositioning, I asked about Airfare to see if it was better than what I had researched. It was twice as much.

I have only done the Air Sea Package Once and that was because it was quite a bit less than what I could get on my own.

New to cruising.

I have some questions:

1) Upon booking on HAL website, when are customers going to find out the flights plan?

After final payment. Usually fairly soon after final payment

Someone already answered, but 3 and 4 stars Mariners do get air deviations.

We compare any open jaw or non-North American flights. If HAL's price is around the same or better, we go with HAL's air. Routing and flights we've had with HAL have not been any worse than we'd get on our own, but perhaps we were lucky. We've never done a deviation with them, so don't know about that.

I have used HAL three times and each time the HAL price was significantly lower than I could do privately. I have also worked with the air department on all three cruises and was able to select the best times and routes with them as long as I stayed within their contracted fares.

As others have said you need to do the research. Unfortunately you need to book HAL Air when you make your reservation for the cruise. Once you have made your reservation you can call and speak to a HAL Air rep to work out dated, routes, and times. If you are not happy or find it is going to cost too much, call HAL reservations back and cancel the air part of your reservation.

In any case don't wait for HAL Air to notify you of flights, you need to call them and discuss the situation early if you want special handling.

If you are a 3 star mariner you can make up to two Air deviations at no charge.

Good luck planning your trip, going a day early is always a good idea!

Archived