Ncl sun

iluvdoxies

We were on the July 10th-July 19th sailing, and we didn't see anything like this on our cruise. They were very strict with making sure you got squirted with hand sanitizer when entering the buffet and the ship after ports, but we liked that. We actually use that hand sanitizer every time we see it, even on the elevators. We had a nice group of CC members who we saw through out the cruise and nobody mentioned anybody being sick.

That's good to hear. We also use the sanitizers as often as we can, but there are always some that "think" they don't need it! :eek:

We were on the sun last Oct. and enjoyed every minute. Just fits our style, we are not into waterslides, rock climbing, or wearing coats to get a drink. The cruise was booked but the Sun never seem crowded. Waited one time to eat the entire week. Refuse to let anything ruin your cruise...:D

We spent 33 wonderful days on the Sun last Sept/Oct before her drydock and we loved every minute. Spent lots of time on sea days in the top observation lounge or in the Sports Bar by those huge windows or, if the weather was sunny, outside in The Great Outdoors.

It was our second cruise on The Sun and we'd cruise on her again if we had the budget for another cruise.

Part of our 33 days was a 14 day cruise to Norway, to Faroe Islands, to Iceland and then to Scotland and Ireland. That cruise is being offered again in 2012, only from Copenhagen instead of from Dover. If you want a cruise that goes to ports not often visited by cruise ships, I recommend that itinerary. It's being offered 9/16/12.

If you book a 2012 or 2013 cruise before 8/14/11, then the deposit is half the usual deposit.

I highly recommend the Sun and its crew.

Can someone explain their concerns regarding the Sun's Garden Cafe Buffet? We almost always eat at the buffet for breakfast and most lunches.

I'm most familiar with Celebrity's pods and action stations.

Can someone explain their concerns regarding the Sun's Garden Cafe Buffet? We almost always eat at the buffet for breakfast and most lunches.

We had no problem with buffet...Breakfast...we would go to the Garden get what we wanted and go to the Monderno which is just on the other side always had seats less crowded! They also had stations not as large of a selection...But you should try the omelt pizza's they only have them there and they were awesome! Not sure if that section was open for Lunch as we ate in the dining room. Hope this helps!

We loved Moderno for lunch. There was a soup and sandwich station, where there were fresh rolls and cold cuts, cheese, salads, where you made your own sandwich, plus a pizza station, plus a pasta station (where you order the sauce you want and the cook makes it up fresh in the saute pan). We were on a nine day cruise, and on the first six or seven days Moderno's was empty, nobody else knew about it.;) But even on the last day, we managed to get a table. We also noticed the ship's officers and their wives eating lunch here. Should tell you something. There is nothing wrong with the Garden Cafe, but the entire ship is smaller than those large ships with the stations and pods. So, the serving line is more linear, than set up in stations, but it is divided into themes.

We had no problem with buffet...Breakfast...we would go to the Garden get what we wanted and go to the Monderno which is just on the other side always had seats less crowded! They also had stations not as large of a selection...But you should try the omelt pizza's they only have them there and they were awesome! Not sure if that section was open for Lunch as we ate in the dining room. Hope this helps!

The main problem is not enough space.

The food section is angled U-shape with crew on one side and folks moving along the three sides of the U, some backup at egg station since folks don't always realize they can pass if they aren't ordering eggs.

Another problem is that folks enter from the elevator side as well as the pool side so folks getting bread/toast have people entering there as well.

And that also means folks are moving two directions in the line.

The biggest problem is not enough seating in the buffet room. However, you can also take your plate and glass/cup outside to The Great Outdoors on sunny days, or to the protected tables near the pool on the other side of the buffet. And you can also always take your meal past the elevators to the other side of the ship and eat in the Sports Bar which has huge windows or to Moderno next door. Some people also go upstairs to Las Ramblas with their breakfast food.

I never had a problem finding a place to sit in at least one of these rooms, usually in the Sports Bar which has tables not just counters.

We never had a problem with buffet. We wanted to get the most of the cruise, went to breakfast early and enjoyed the morning while a lot of people slept in. Also you can get choice seats at the pool. Enjoy your cruise.:D

The main problem is not enough space.

The food section is angled U-shape with crew on one side and folks moving along the three sides of the U, some backup at egg station since folks don't always realize they can pass if they aren't ordering eggs.

Another problem is that folks enter from the elevator side as well as the pool side so folks getting bread/toast have people entering there as well.

And that also means folks are moving two directions in the line.

The biggest problem is not enough seating in the buffet room. However, you can also take your plate and glass/cup outside to The Great Outdoors on sunny days, or to the protected tables near the pool on the other side of the buffet. And you can also always take your meal past the elevators to the other side of the ship and eat in the Sports Bar which has huge windows or to Moderno next door. Some people also go upstairs to Las Ramblas with their breakfast food.

I never had a problem finding a place to sit in at least one of these rooms, usually in the Sports Bar which has tables not just counters.

This is how I would answer the question above about the buffet other than to add it isn't the largest selection - especially if you are used to some of the other ships out there.

We typically would sit somewhere other than the buffet as mentioned. Since you'll be in the Caribbean in October, the outside seating just aft of the buffet is nice plus that area has a small food service area with hot and cold foods plus the regular beverages.

It sounds like they are operating Moderno much like Pacific Heights was for breakfast and lunch when we were on the Sun. Our experience too was that this area was pretty vacant. There were nice tables in there and you have a wall of windows. Best of all, much of what they were making was made for you and/or nice and hot.

We are set to sail on the Sun on October 15th, we are super excited, we are booked in Mini Suite 1212, this will be our 3rd cruise but 1st on this paticular ship.

Great location! We had 1209 two years ago and loved it. Enjoy!

We loved Moderno for lunch. .

Pacific Heights was there when we cruised last year and we ate there for breakfast and had pizza for lunch maybe twice, but that was a NO PAY so MODERNO is PAY do they charge you for lunch?

Does the Sun has hidden storage behind the bathroom mirror? Maybe I'm imagining it and it's wishful thinking? :confused::D

We had nice shelving, 3 on each side of the mirror. No problem with room and storage in our aft balcony room. Lots of drawers, cubbies and closet space.

We loved the sun's decor. The buffet was busy but never had a time we couldn't get a seat. The scrambled eggs were runny on the buffet and even cold in the dining room buffet a couple mornings. We made it known so hopefully, they will do something to correct this.

LeBistro was fantastic for our special occasion.

Staff on this ship never skipped a beat, never failed to great us and provided pleasant service in every situation. I was so impressed.

Entertainment was pretty good too.

The cabin could have been deep cleaned better but I'm picky. I could see little hairs and dirt in the bathroom shelves etc. I don't like that much.

We sailed on the Sun in Jan. for our first cruise ever. We loved the ship and the crew. We had a forward mini-suite which was very spacious and comfortable for 3 of us. Our cabin steward was great and kept our room very clean picking up after our 18yo DS. We will definitely cruise on her again. Buffet was ok and you have the great outdoors aft also. Had a great meal at East Meets West (Cagney's). We thought the shows were great also.

wow I've learned a lot from this thread ! Thanks for the responses.

We ended up booking the whole voyage Cape Cananveral to Copenhagen then on to Berlin, Tallin St Petersburg, Helsinki Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. :) We figured might as well see as much as we can while we are over there.

I'm beyond being excited !!!!

Although it is not the cruise you are going on, if you would like a quick view of the ship with some of the entrees, restaurants, and other parts of the ship, I have just finished a review on the Sun. You have made a great choice, the Sun is a great ship with a great staff.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1432751

Although it is not the cruise you are going on, if you would like a quick view of the ship with some of the entrees, restaurants, and other parts of the ship, I have just finished a review on the Sun. You have made a great choice, the Sun is a great ship with a great staff.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1432751

fabulous photos!!!!!!!!!!!

Wise Choice! The ports are fabulous. Go to the Baltic Ports board, so much to learn there.

wow I've learned a lot from this thread ! Thanks for the responses.

We ended up booking the whole voyage Cape Cananveral to Copenhagen then on to Berlin, Tallin St Petersburg, Helsinki Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. :) We figured might as well see as much as we can while we are over there.

I'm beyond being excited !!!!

Archived