Our Crazy MAGICal Disney Cruise!

karajeboo

"It's her birthday and she'll do what she wants to.... do what she wants to...."

We asked Ally what she wanted to do after dinner and she replied, "Hang with Tori."

So now that she's 10, she's "hangin." Hmmmm.

Tori was more than happy to "hang" so off they went to see a movie. I think they saw Tangled at about 11pm. Yes. I let my 10 year old "hang" in the theater until well after midnight.

"Parents. Of. The. Year."

We grabbed Tammi, Tori's mom, and said, "hey, ya wanna hang?"

Cause we're cool like that.

So cool in fact, that we hit Rockin Bar D, grabbed a beer and watched John Charles, a musician and comedian. After that one beer, our hangin was over. We were all stuffed and tired!

I think my hangin days are over. The only hangin I do these days, is hangin OVER!!!!! rotfl2.gif

We went back to our cabin and sat up waiting for our party animal to come back.

I was starting to get worried right about the time I heard the key in the lock. Good thing she got back when she did because we had a BIG day ahead of us!

Now let me tell you a little about Castaway Cay, and my thoughts BEFORE this cruise.

It's a beach. It's Disney's private island. But it's a beach, right?

When I go to a beach, I like to spend as little time as possible on the actual beach. I'd rather float in the beachfront pool, or belly up to the swim up bar. Or wander the grounds.

But I get bored sitting on a beach. And I don't much appreciate sand in places it doesn't belong.

So unless it's a sunrise or sunset walk on the beach, I'd rather just relax by a pool.

But I soon learned that CC is not "just a beach." Sure, there IS sand on CC, and it DOES get into places it doesn't belong.

But there is so much more. SO. MUCH. MORE!!!!!!

We woke up to an overcast day and a VERY choppy approach to the island. The seas around CC were pretty rough, well, at least compared to the rest of the cruise, which was smooth as buttah.......

My aft was a movin and a shakin with the engines, and as we turned around to go aft end first, I think my aft may have been thrown out of bed.

But it's all good, cause it was gonna be a beachin day, Disney style!!! thumbsup2.gif

We had ordered room service the night before, so we enjoyed some bagels and donuts, showered, and joined the masses who were all waiting to debark.

The amazing part, for me, was watching everyone walk right by this......

ImportedPhotos00702.jpg

ImportedPhotos00703.jpg

And this!

ImportedPhotos00704.jpg

I guess everyone was on a mission to find a spot. Their own spot for which to allow the sand to make it's unnatural invasion.

Because nobody was stopping to see Minnie and Pluto. Now, Minnie I understand. Word has gotten around about her. But Pluto? He's the greatest!!!!

Then we see a tram stop. With a trap stopped. And nobody paying it a bit of attention. So the McSparklesons head over, hop on, and away we go. Passing all those who passed Minnie and Pluto in search of the coveted "spot."

We had no idea where we were going. We just needed a beach chair to drop our things, so we could head out to explore.

We found a spot on the family beach. One of the first spots we found.

ImportedPhotos00707.jpg

It looked as good as any other spot, and it probably was. But I'm a McSparkleson, and I was not satisfied. So I called Jeff to gather our things (yes, the wave phones work here!) and move over to the jetty. Isn't that was that's called? At the end of the jetty was a bar. Looked like a good spot to me......

I was grabbing our snorkel equipment, and floats, and would be back later for the bikes. I had reserved the snorkel/float/bike excursion so we figured we'd play in the water first, then dry off on the bikes before heading back to the ship in the afternoon.

Ally and I found a great spot, nobody around us, with direct access to the Heads Up Bar.....

ImportedPhotos00716.jpg

We dumped the snorkel gear and floats, and went to find Jeff.

Poor guy was trying to lug evreything and find us, while juggling the wave phone, all the while he was sick as a dog, and nobody knew it.

He was trying to be tough, but later we figured out that he was just dehydrated. At home, we all drink a ton of water every day. But on the cruise, we had it with meals, and that was about it. And I think it finally caught up to him, Ally mid week, and me that first night.

ImportedPhotos00708.jpg

ImportedPhotos00710.jpg

ImportedPhotos00713.jpg

ImportedPhotos00713.jpg

We decided to go explore a bit, and first things first, we needed to hit that new slide!!!!

ImportedPhotos00838.jpg

ImportedPhotos00843.jpg

Looking out at family beach from the slide....

ImportedPhotos00844.jpg

You have your choice of an open slide, or the dark, spooky, enclosed slide. Guess which one I chose?

Ally was much quieter when she popped out......

Fun slide, had a little kick. In fact, it kicked me, too!

ImportedPhotos00848.jpg

There was a very sharp rock or something when I landed at the base of the slide. I'm thinking of taking legal action. I'll own Castaway Cay. Wait.... make that Kara's Cay!!!!! ;)

After the slide, we were done out there. The wait was longer than Space Mountain, so I'm thinking DCL will look to build another slide soon.

We made our way back to our spot, and decided to give snorkeling a try. I have only snorkeled a handful of times, so I'm no pro by any means. But Ally was gung ho to give it a try.

ImportedPhotos00835.jpg

She lost her gung very quickly and her ho followed right behind.

We started out and as long as she could touch the ground, she was okay. She was even still okay as long as Jeff and I were on either side of her holding her hands. But as soon as the ground dropped off out near the lifeguard, she lost it.

So I told Jeff I'd head back to shore with her, and he could keep going. But we all ventured back and I think he may have taken a little nap when we got back.

Ally and I had other plans.

ImportedPhotos00738.jpg

I really wanted her to get the corn rows, but she heard they hurt and wanted no part of it. I'm trying to convince her to give it a shot on our next cruise. I just think they look so cute!!!

ImportedPhotos00739.jpg

About the time we got back to Jeff, it was lunch time!

Up next, Cookies Too BBQ!

• 5 weeks later...

After a wonderful morning on Castaway Cay, it was time to get our grub on......

In the form of BBQ, Castaway style.....

No, not Survivor style, we are not eating the weaker ones. Well, maybe we were, but I don't wanna know. It was tasty, that's all I know. And it tasted like chicken..... ;)

ImportedPhotos00740.jpg

ImportedPhotos00742.jpg

As we were going through the buffet, grabbing one of these, two of that, a couple of these, ooooh yuck none of those, we noticed Ally grab a fish fillet. Typically, she will eat fish, but at a buffet she wouldn't CHOOSE to eat it. KWIM?

So we sit down, and Jeff is still looking a little green around the gills. Afterward he said he didn't think the food was very good at Cookies, but I disagree. It was bbq food!

Burgers, chicken, different salads, etc. I actually enjoyed it, after all the rich foods we'd been eating all week. I thoroughly enjoyed the burger. And the chicken. And the fish. Oh no, I'm going all Palo again!!!! scared07.gif

Soon we see Ally making that face, that rolling her eyes back in her head, this is so delicious, face. She point to her "chicken" and says, "This is the BEST chicken I've ever had!!!!" rotfl2.gif We wait until she's on her last bite, and then inform her it was....... NOT CHICKEN!!!! She looks us dead in the eye and says, "I knew that. It tasted like fish."

WHATEVER!!!! We should have just told her it was those who passed before us. Gilligan, Mary Ann (or Ginger if you prefer), Tom Hanks, etc. It ALL tastes like chicken!!!

Once we finished eating, we waddled back to our spot right near the stick out bar (cause, well, it stuck out into the sea!!!). Ally ran off to play with Tori....

ImportedPhotos00748.jpg

It was about that time that Jeff said, "oh oh" as he looked behind us.....

ImportedPhotos00745.jpg

We thought about that bike ride we were going to take, but didn't want to get stranded on the other side of the island in a thunderstorm. So we started getting all our things together....

.....just....in....case.....

And it was a good case. Or bad. But it was a case. Maybe a head case. I should have brought a suit case......

Because within minutes of seeing that sky......

ImportedPhotos00752.jpg

The bottom absolutely fell out of the sky.

I don't remember any thunder, so it was just a heavy shower, but I still didn't like the idea of my camera floating away, and everything getting completely soaked. So we had moved inland a bit and found shelter in a children's play place.

Rain? What rain?

ImportedPhotos00750.jpg

ImportedPhotos00751.jpg

ImportedPhotos00753.jpg

Once it started to let up, we moseyed on back to our spot by the stick out bar. Scratch that.... we passed our spot by the stick out bar and headed straight TO the stick out bar!!!!

Ally's drink.....

ImportedPhotos00756.jpg

My drink......

ImportedPhotos00754.jpg

You talk about belly up to the bar? It was the only way to stay dry!!! We were bellied ON the bar I think!!!!

View from stick out bar....

ImportedPhotos00757.jpg

After we finished our drinks, we took all our unused items back - snorkels, flippers, floats, bikes (okay, we didn't actually HAVE the bikes yet.....), and began the trek back to the ship.

You wanna talk about sad? Once we got on that ship, the next stop was <gulp> Port Canaveral!!!!! And we did NOT want to go home yet!!!!!

ImportedPhotos00760.jpg

ImportedPhotos00758.jpg

We were soaked when we boarded, about 3pm - 2 hours before all aboard. But the rain had really chilled us, and we appreciated the nice warm towels they handed out.....

Waiting for us just inside the ship....

ImportedPhotos00762.jpg

Up next.... WORST DINNER EVER!!!!!!!!

Call me crazy but I am so so so sad right now! Just reliving the last day of the cruise is terrible!!!! The only thing that is allowing me to write this is that we are just under 6 months until we are on this beautiful ship again AND about 20 minutes ago I booked RCI's Freedom of the Seas for the following Spring Break!

But back to the finale......

We got back to our room to dry off a bit, and then I sent Jeff and Ally away so I could start to pack us so we could get our bags out by midnight.

I always take a pop up hamper so it was time to empty it into one of the suitcases, and then load up another one with all the CLEAN clothes that we never wore!!! I filled all the nooks and crannies with all the great FE gifts we collected, and just kept out something casual for dinner that night, plus our kicked out clothes for the next morning.

It didn't take me long to cram it all in suitcases, so I got a quick shower and went up on deck to meet Jeff and Ally.

Jeff was busy taking pics....

ImportedPhotos00763.jpg

ImportedPhotos00765.jpg

ImportedPhotos00767.jpg

Those were not nearly as fun to take as the ones earlier as we pulled INTO Castaway Cay..... sad20.gif

In fact, this is one of the saddest videos EVER!

Not sure why he didn't comment on the next one. Maybe he was too choked up?

For some reason, it just wasn't much fun dressing for dinner this night. And for the 7th night in a row, I had flat hair. Could be because of the reverse vacuum cleaner upholstery attachment that they call hair dryers? That is my one tip for people. Bring your own hair dryer if you have super thick hair like I do!!!!!

ImportedPhotos00774.jpg

ImportedPhotos00773.jpg

Ally and her friend Tori. To Tammie and Tori, I'm so sorry you had to experience the last show of the cruise with me!!!!

Tonight's show was called "Remember the Magic." Hmmm, tip #2 - if you are an emotional person, or if you have any size heart at all, DO NOT GO TO THIS SHOW without tissues!!!! If you forget, grab a roll of toilet paper from the restrooms outside the theater.

It was ugly. I mean, REALLY ugly!

The family with the overly large child, reliving their cruise, looked to have had almost as much fun as we did!!! But because they are fake, they have no hearts, so they weren't sobbing.

Yes, I said "sobbing." As in blubbering. As in, couldn't breathe through snotty nose. As in trying NOT to sob out loud and ending up snorting instead.

Ugly.

All that faith, trust and pixie dust. Someone shoot that fairy! I needed to see Villains Tonight instead. Gimme some bad guys to make me feel better. Or just another drink? Please?

And the even uglier thing I saw? I looked over and caught Jeff wiping his eye.

Yeah. I mean, really? We're already bummed because we just had an incredible week and it's about to end. But do they really need to REMIND us? Do they really need to RUB IT IN? Must they insinuate that there will be other people in MY cabin the next day? It's just WRONG!!!!!!

OK, so I have some vacation issues. I need a couch. And a good therapist. Or maybe just the right 6 numbers, plus the powerball.

Here's the world's worst stage show.....

ImportedPhotos00772.jpg

ImportedPhotos00775.jpg

Oh, yeah, let's throw in some princesses to add to the pain....

ImportedPhotos00777.jpg

ImportedPhotos00778.jpg

Mickey and Minnie? Sure let them come wave GOOD BYE to us, too!!!! No problem! My mascara is already running into my cleavage so why stop now?????

ImportedPhotos00779.jpg

Up next..... Worst Dinner Ever!!!! Followed by even WORSE breakfast!

After remembering the Magic - how could I forget when I hadn't even left yet??? - it was time to head to dinner.

I asked Ally if I needed to go back to the cabin and wash my face, and she just rolled her eyes. Hey, thanks for the support there, kiddo! confused24.gif

ImportedPhotos00781.jpg

Really? The "Til We Meet Again" menu? Et tu, Mickey?

For an appy, we had the Artichoke, Spinach and Jalapeno Cheese Dip

with triangles of crispy pita bread

ImportedPhotos00786.jpg

and the Chilled Seafood Medley

Lemon shrimp, smoked salmon tartare and marinated bay scallops

ImportedPhotos00787.jpg

Tasteless. Absolutely tasteless. All I could taste were salty tears.....

OK, not really. It was all yummy, just like the entire cruise!

Well, at least someone was still happy!

ImportedPhotos00788.jpg

Until she finally had enough. After 1100 photos, she was done.

ImportedPhotos00790.jpg

OK, now this was unique. This "pear" was actually potatoes!!!! Yachtsman Steakhouse Center Cut Grilled Beef Tenderloin served with William potatoes, asparagus spears, baby vegetables and bearnaise sauce

ImportedPhotos00791.jpg

And even better was the Seafood Linguini Pasta

Lobster, scallops, shrimp, clams and asparagus-white wine sauce

ImportedPhotos00792.jpg

When it was all said and done, we got the cruise traditional song and dance....

ImportedPhotos00799.jpg

Carrying the flaming baked Alaska....

ImportedPhotos00795.jpg

While I just begged for Frangelico for my coffee. Usually I pour it INTO the coffee. Not this night. I just took it as a shooter......

ImportedPhotos00793.jpg

I was finally able to get a photo of Ally with "her boys" Dobo and Willy, and the darn thing came out blurry!!!

ImportedPhotos00802.jpg

After dinner, Ally was off with Tori and the only thing I wanted to do was to see the character farewell. And somehow I missed it!!!!

Jeff and I wandered the ship, taking more photos and stopping for a couple of drinks before I finally gave in and headed back to the cabin to get our luggage out in the hall. It had to be out by midnight, I think, and this is what I found at about 10pm when we were heading to our cabin......

ImportedPhotos00806-1.jpg

And THIS is what I saw when I passed the holding room where all the luggage was passing through!!!!

ImportedPhotos00807-1.jpg

I got our carry ons together for the next day, and got into my jammies (just so I could pack up everything else), and waited for Ally to come back.

Somehow I missed the character farewell but Ally said she was there with Tammie and Tori, so THANK YOU Tammie for hanging out with the girls on the last night! thumbsup2.gif

Ally strolled in around midnight, and we all decided we couldn't put off the inevitable any longer.......

They say that all good things must come to an end. But what I want to know is... who are "they?" What made them say this? Did they never travel? Never have any fun? Because I personally think that all good things should NEVER end! Just sayin.....

We have been extremely blessed to have taken some wonderful vacations over the years. So I'm not sure why this one stands out so much as The Best. Maybe because we no longer lived only 2 1/2 hours from the Happiest Place on Earth and could no longer head to Disney for a day? Maybe because we were not fully settled into our new life in SC?

I have no idea what it was. But it really was the best vacation we have ever taken as a family.

So when we woke up bright and early on debarkation day, to the sound of the engines screaming in reverse, we looked out and saw..... Florida.

Now I never thought I'd ever say this, but it was the ugliest sight I've ever seen!!!!!!

And I'm convinced that ole Captain John threw those thrusters just about as rough as he possibly could. He was TRYING to throw us out of bed. Literally. However, some of us were really holding down the bed, trying to make this vacation last as long as possible.

Is that not the saddest thing ever????

Or is this????

ImportedPhotos00816.jpg

Do y'all really care what was on the "See Ya Real Soon" menu? It was slop. It might as well have been.

ImportedPhotos00815.jpg

And I really hope they rename the menu. I personally like "Get the Hxxx Off Our Ship" or "Don't Let the Gangway Hit you in the Aft!" Yeah, that's my favorite.

And it was the only time the ship seems crowded. As everyone left whichever dining room they were assigned, and they were all scrambling for the best hiding places. I really don't think they would have noticed a couple stowaways. We wanted to hide under the beds and "haunt" our cabin for the next guests....

But again, they were onto us.

A few final pics of Ally and Tori.....

ImportedPhotos00817.jpg

Who, by the way, will be sailing with us again in 2012!!!! So excited to get Ally and Tori back together again! We have requested seating with Tammie and Tori for dinner, and are planning on a couple excursions too! thumbsup2.gif

So that is the plus.

The minus?

ImportedPhotos00813.jpg

And the very very bitter minus?

ImportedPhotos00822.jpg

Whoever said, "A picture is worth a thousand words" really had it right.

A few parting thoughts. Just book the darn cruise already!!!! It is an incredible adventure.

And don't forget the toilet paper for the shows.....

This is the best review I have ever read. Ever. So entertaining. You take wonderful pictures, and you are a great storyteller!

We booked the Magic for April 2012 with our 2 boys (4&2). Your review has made me more excited!

What a fabulous review! Thoroughly enjoyed every sentence & every pic/video. Can't wait to get on a Disney cruise hopefully sooner than later!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.715369,-80.931094

After this, our very first cruise, we kept wondering, "Do we love cruising now?" or "Do we love DISNEY cruising?" Well, I think we will love ALL cruising, and we've just booked RCI Freedom of the SEas for 2013, and we have one more DCL this coming spring break. As long as Ally is young enough to love the characters, real or not, we will try to cruise DCL. But believe it or not, as much as I LOVE all things Disney, I'm REALLY excited for FOTS!!!!

This is the best review I have ever read. Ever. So entertaining. You take wonderful pictures, and you are a great storyteller!

We booked the Magic for April 2012 with our 2 boys (4&2). Your review has made me more excited!

Thank you so much!!!! I love writing, and it's fun to relive the cruise. I'll be back in April with another one! ;) When in April are you going? We are on her again March 30-April 6......

Thank you so much for writing your review, I really enjoyed it--------love your style of writing.

Although not sailing on DCL we will be visiting St Thomas or is it St Martten?? on The Sun in January.

Regards

Susan

After this, our very first cruise, we kept wondering, "Do we love cruising now?" or "Do we love DISNEY cruising?" Well, I think we will love ALL cruising, and we've just booked RCI Freedom of the SEas for 2013, and we have one more DCL this coming spring break. As long as Ally is young enough to love the characters, real or not, we will try to cruise DCL. But believe it or not, as much as I LOVE all things Disney, I'm REALLY excited for FOTS!!!!

Thank you so much!!!! I love writing, and it's fun to relive the cruise. I'll be back in April with another one! ;) When in April are you going? We are on her again March 30-April 6......

Thank you so much for writing your review, I really enjoyed it--------love your style of writing.

Although not sailing on DCL we will be visiting St Thomas or is it St Martten?? on The Sun in January.

Regards

Susan

We saw St Thomas AND St Maarten! The Sun left PC right before us, hope you have a great cruise!!!!

I rarely read trip reports, but I'm so glad I read yours. It was wonderful, or should I say "magic"al? :) I felt like I was back on the ship.

My daughter has celebrated two birthdays on Disney ships and she laughs at me when I cry like a baby at the shows and pretty much anything Disney. She thinks it's "cute". It's nice to know I'm not alone in my tears. :D

I rarely read trip reports, but I'm so glad I read yours. It was wonderful, or should I say "magic"al? :) I felt like I was back on the ship.

My daughter has celebrated two birthdays on Disney ships and she laughs at me when I cry like a baby at the shows and pretty much anything Disney. She thinks it's "cute". It's nice to know I'm not alone in my tears. :D

You are not alone at all!!!! And I plan on crying again in 162 days!!!!

I am SOOOO glad I found your review. Unfortunately for me, I have MORE THAN A YEAR before I get to enjoy my first Disney cruise. We are doing the Magic out of Galveston Thanksgiving week 2012. Your review made me want to go NOW! You made me laugh thru out & I can't wait for my girls to enjoy this cruise as much as you seemed to! Now we gotta think of a good name to announce us! :D

Archived