Bringing GF food on board....

kendon

I'm thinking that I should bring some gluten free stuff on board such as rice crackers for cheese platters, late night snacks, etc.

Any opinions or ideas of what I should have with me for the week?

That all depends on what you like to eat. I'm sure there will be many gluten free items you can eat on board, they just might not be what you like. If you're worried about snack items then bring what you normally would eat. Larabars are great pre-packaged healthy snacks that are easy to carry.

What line are you cruising with? I know Celebrity is the most accommodating of any line, food wise. I did overhear people not being able to get the toast on the last day of the cruise, however.

I would call your cruiseline's special needs department to see if they have a list of what they have for you. In most cases you will get to see the menu a day ahead of time and pick things, and they will make up a seperate item for you.

So what are you eating at home? What have your normal habbits become that you will want to have?

I don't have any habits yet....only been about two months. I'll be going with Princess, I sent a fax already for my November cruise, and have confidence that they'll be very accommodating. I guess I'm worried about having a gluten attack while on an excursion, away from a bathroom.

We cruise mostly on Celebrity and HAL. I often carry crackers and a couple of bars that can be carried off the ship for excursions. You may want to carry some cookies if you enoy afternoon tea - they are not always easy to come buy. I've found there is a great deal of difference from ship to ship and within a cruiseline. You won't go hungry but if you really enjoy something on a daily basis, carry it with you.

Carol

We've cruised on a couple of lines gf and we've got a system that works well for us. Before we leave, I take gallon ziplock bags and designate one for each port day. I label them "allergy free" and put the port we're visiting on the bag. I also have a bag for other days if needed. I put only pre-packed snacks in the bags. I make sure each bag has a combination of protein/carbs to sustain me through the day, off of the ship. Somethings we take in our "port bags" are, gf jerky, Justin's nutbutter packs, puffed or dried fruit, sunflower seeds & cookie snack packs. Ocasionally, while on board we've used our gf bagels/muffins for breakfast or crackers for cheese. Depending on the cruiseline, some dressings can be confirmed as gf and some lines they're not. On one cruise, I took tons of gf packs of salad dressing that came in handy. Also, if you like sushi, you can take gf packs of soy sauce.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

I packaged several of the gluten free protein bars for my DD on our last two cruises. I also will make snack bags of gluten free chex cereal for her. We have gotten packaged crackers and the little containers of peanut butter. I also tend to take an apple off with me for her to eat. I had also taken some Nestle hot chocolate packs to mix her hot chocolate because she likes having that on the balcony with some fruit while my husband and I have our coffee in the mornings.

We have found that cruising is definitely a worry free way to go for her diet. Both lines we have been on were very accommodating. She really loved the food! Every night they brought her the menu and we chose for the next night. We also ordered ahead for breakfasts. Eating in the main dining room is simpler but at buffets, if you ask they will tell you what you can eat. I am sure Princess will be just as good.

We've cruised on a couple of lines gf and we've got a system that works well for us. Before we leave, I take gallon ziplock bags and designate one for each port day. I label them "allergy free" and put the port we're visiting on the bag. I also have a bag for other days if needed. I put only pre-packed snacks in the bags. I make sure each bag has a combination of protein/carbs to sustain me through the day, off of the ship. Somethings we take in our "port bags" are, gf jerky, Justin's nutbutter packs, puffed or dried fruit, sunflower seeds & cookie snack packs. Ocasionally, while on board we've used our gf bagels/muffins for breakfast or crackers for cheese. Depending on the cruiseline, some dressings can be confirmed as gf and some lines they're not. On one cruise, I took tons of gf packs of salad dressing that came in handy. Also, if you like sushi, you can take gf packs of soy sauce.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Can you please tell me where I can find packets of GF soy sauce. I would love to bring some with me on our next cruise.

I found the Tamari online, but you have to buy a box of 200 pkts or more!

Browsing through Target today, I found a number of GF snacks and other GF ideas to bring on with me. My concern is while I'm at port in the Caribbean. I like the idea of daily ziplocks . Also, I may bring my own crackers so I can enjoy the cheese platters with a glass of wine before dinner.

I found the Tamari online, but you have to buy a box of 200 pkts or more!

Browsing through Target today, I found a number of GF snacks and other GF ideas to bring on with me. My concern is while I'm at port in the Caribbean. I like the idea of daily ziplocks . Also, I may bring my own crackers so I can enjoy the cheese platters with a glass of wine before dinner.

Thank you, I'll have to order some. I also pack zip lock bags of GF pretzels to snack on. One cruise I made myself some chocolate chip cookies and took those for my desserts.

If you have a Food Saver sealing machine, you can make your own individual packs of Tamari. It takes a little extra cutting and sealing but it really isn't difficult. Use a small funnel to fill each small bag. When I do this, I make a small cut on the side but not up to the seal, this allows me to easily tear the bag open. Another idea here is to carry the smallest bottle of Tamari you can find, use what you would like onboard and leave it for other guests to enjoy. This is especially nice on Celebrity with the sushi.

Small jewelry bags from the craft store make nice size bags to pack individual servings of pretzels and other snacks.

Keep in mind that some of the ports get REALLY particular about taking food off the ship. It has to be packaged in the original container. I know that places in Mexico are like that. But I can't remember if we had to go through a scanner as we were getting off as well or if there were just signs saying no food.

I had prepackaged items just in case we ran into a problem. I didn't want DD's food getting confiscated and her not having anything she could eat.

A little planning goes a long way!;)

Well, I think you just answered my next question...taking something for lunch off the ship to be eaten on an excursion. We really enjoy catamaran sails in the Caribbean, and they always have sandwiches for lunch. OMG...I can't go all day without eating, so wondering if Princess makes "to go" lunches for annoying people like me who can't just eat anything, anywhere. Otherwise, I'll take my ziplock of snacks and have Chex, raisins, nuts... Could be worse I suppose.

Otherwise, I'll take my ziplock of snacks and have Chex, raisins, nuts... Could be worse I suppose.

Make sure they are packaged and not just bulk items put into bags... otherwise they will not be allowed off of the ship. You cannot take food on shore that is not sealed.

By booking excursions well in advance of our cruise, I've often been able to have a gluten-free meal provided. I contact the excursion section to see if it can be done. It may take several days, but they do what they can.

Also, if you are flying to the ship airlines will accomodate with a gluten-free meal as well. But snacks are a little more challenging. Take extra zip locks.

For shore excursions, we have really found the GF protein bars to be the best alternative. We can always get fruit to supplement.

Archived