Family Activities on FOS

Takemetoaspa

We are doing the Western Caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas in a couple weeks. My daughter only wants to be in the kids club if we are with her. (She is 6) Since we take vacations without her when we take her on vacation we like to spend the time with her so this is fine with us. What kinds of activities can we do as a family on the ship? Her only cruise experience was the Disney Magic when she was 3. She spent a little time in the kids club, but only for like an hour once or twice a day.

Some ideas - playing at the pool or H20 Zone, mini-golf, ice show, parades, Dreamworks Character Breakfasts, and of course shore excursions.

I'm sure that there are more, but as I haven't been yet someone will have to chime in with a more complete list.

It has been 18 months since we were on FOS and it was before MUTS and the dreamworks experience but I seem to remember they often had family discos early evening and Wii tournaments for adults and kids - it was a great ship when we went on it so I can imagine it is even more improved with the changes since we last sailed.

I knew for the most part they don't allow parents in. I understand why. I thought that parents were allowed in with the kids on the first day. I also saw a Family Scavenger Hunt and it listed the location as Adventure Ocean. (This was looking at someone else's cruise compasses)

I don't think this is correct. People have reported there being a "play area" on the Royal Tots nursery on Oasis where parents can supervise play. I don't know if Oasis's nursery is dramatically larger than Freedom's, though.

But I believe that there are regular story times at the nursery for parents and children.

Here are links to someone's nursery cruise compasses from Oasis: http://public.fotki.com/Radio88/oasis-of-the-seas--/cruise-compass-jan-/tot-pg3.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/Radio88/oasis-of-the-seas--/cruise-compass-jan-/tot-pg4.html#media

I haven't seen anything yet from Freedom. I'll be on her Sept. 11, and will report back. If you're sailing sooner, I'd appreciate seeing the same.

From the general cruise compasses for Freedom, some family-friendly activities include:

• Dreamworks sail-away party (with music and dancing)
  • character breakfasts
  • music at various venues, including poolside (my kid loves to dance)
  • toy-lending from the nursery
  • "family dance party under the stars"
  • the promenade parades
  • family karaoke
  • ice show and once upon a time supposed to be kid-friendly

EDIT: Oh, I see your child is older. I'm not sure how much of this applies, I saw age 3 and didn't realize that was from your prior sailing. You might still poke around on the linked pictures of cruise compasses, there may be something useful there. Otherwise, for parents of younger kids, hey, look what I found! :)

Those sound like some good family activities Our cruise leaves this weekend. I will post a review when we return. There doesn't seem to be much focus on actual "family time" on the cruises. It's more drop the kids in this play area while mom and dad relax by the pool. I don't quite understand the point of taking the kids and then not spending much time with them. :confused:

Archived