vietnam visa obtained on cruise ship?

Stellenbosch

My DH and I will be on board the Cunard QE from Sydney to Dubai next year and 2 of our port stops is in Vietnam. Cunard has informed me that they will issue visas to us on board.

Can anyone advise me if they have too only got their visa for Vietnam on board and were not asked for it prior to boarding which in our case would be in Sydney?

Any help or advise would be most helpful.

Many thanks

Rosita

My DH and I will be on board the Cunard QE from Sydney to Dubai next year and 2 of our port stops is in Vietnam. Cunard has informed me that they will issue visas to us on board.

Can anyone advise me if they have too only got their visa for Vietnam on board and were not asked for it prior to boarding which in our case would be in Sydney?

Many thanks

Rosita

You don't have to get prepared with Vietnam visa prior to your boarding. The Tour management of your ship ( Cunard QE ) will submit a list for visas to all who wish to get on land at Vietnam ports. A landing card will be issued for everyone.

Edited by cruisesgn

We were on the Ocean Princess in April. They got our Vietnam visa on arrival and charged our on board account the fee.

Ditto on Voyages of Discovery. And I'm 99% certain the same applies to Cunard.

JB :)

Does anyone knows if HAL provides visa for Vietnam, Cambodja and Vietnam and how much they charge for it?

We will be on the Zaandam next year (March)

You have Vietnam twice on the list.

Vietnam and Cambodia both issue visas on arrival, so most ships handle them for the passengers and place the charge on the onboard account.

The website says that passengers should have to look for visa prior to arrival but the agency that sells HAL in Belgium says for Vietnam and Korea HAL provides Visa but they can not tell be the cost onboard.

I really do not know who to believe.

Has anyone been on HAL cruises to these countries?

• 3 months later...

Hi

I just rang HAL this morning re Visas, I am on the Far East Tour that goes from Singapore to Hong Kong on 18 March (the one after your trip anneke)

They told me that at this time you can get a visa for Cambodia and Vietnam on board. Current cost is 45USD (not sure what it will be next March)

I asked if we have to pay $45 each time for the 3 stops at Vietnam and it was not very clear - the guy just said it was $45 per person per visa!!

For Cambodia they do not provide VISA - you have to do it yourself or go on Cruise excursion and then you are covered for the VISA.

He said that we should be ok to get visas next year - if anything changed then they inform you or your travel agent before the cruise.

Let me know if you find out anything different. Does anyone know whether you have to pay for visa each time you dock in Vietnam or whether the VISA is a multiple entry one and covers them all.

Thanks

Hi

I just rang HAL this morning re Visas, I am on the Far East Tour that goes from Singapore to Hong Kong on 18 March (the one after your trip anneke)

They told me that at this time you can get a visa for Cambodia and Vietnam on board. Current cost is 45USD (not sure what it will be next March)

I asked if we have to pay $45 each time for the 3 stops at Vietnam and it was not very clear - the guy just said it was $45 per person per visa!!

For Cambodia they do not provide VISA - you have to do it yourself or go on Cruise excursion and then you are covered for the VISA.

He said that we should be ok to get visas next year - if anything changed then they inform you or your travel agent before the cruise.

Let me know if you find out anything different. Does anyone know whether you have to pay for visa each time you dock in Vietnam or whether the VISA is a multiple entry one and covers them all.

Thanks

Our four stops in Vietnam were all on a single visa, ie a single little ticket that got more & more crumpled at each port. So it's pretty safe that "per visa" means per country, even on HAL.

BTW, $45 sounds like that includes a fat profit for HAL.

Are you sure that HAL will only provide a Cambodia visa for those who book excursions, & otherwise you are responsible for making your own arrangements?

Apart from $45 again sounding heavy, my experience (not HAL) is that where visas are arranged only for folk on excursions (I'm thinking of Russia), the excursion cost includes the visa & no mention is made of the cost of arranging ones own visa.

I strongly suspect that your informant at HAL has got his wires crossed, & that HAL will arrange visas for all - but for a fee if you're not on their excursion.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hi John Bull

Thanks for your reply - hope it does cover all 3 stops in Vietnam (would make sense). Not sure about the fees I have seen several different prices on the internet so not sure what the actual cost of a visa is and how difficult they are to get ie. do you need to visit the embassy in London to get one or do it on line. They mention picking up at airports though so not sure how you get on when on a ship.

Also, sorry I made a mistake in my last post - I meant that they would not provide visa for Sanya - you either need to get your own if doing your own trip or go on the HAL excursion as this also includes a Group visa.

Visa required for Vietnam and Cambodia both of which you can get on board at this moment in time.

Sorry for any confusion.

Hi John Bull

Thanks for your reply - hope it does cover all 3 stops in Vietnam (would make sense). Not sure about the fees I have seen several different prices on the internet so not sure what the actual cost of a visa is and how difficult they are to get ie. do you need to visit the embassy in London to get one or do it on line. They mention picking up at airports though so not sure how you get on when on a ship.

Also, sorry I made a mistake in my last post - I meant that they would not provide visa for Sanya - you either need to get your own if doing your own trip or go on the HAL excursion as this also includes a Group visa.

Visa required for Vietnam and Cambodia both of which you can get on board at this moment in time.

Sorry for any confusion.

Don't worry about Vietnam & Cambodia, the ship will sort them while you're on board. Usually by collecting everyone's passport, & sorting the visas with an immigration officer who boards at a previous port & is hosted by the ship til it arrives (I'd like to apply for that job :)).

The cruiseline will charge everyones account with whatever they decide - & you won't have a say in it :rolleyes:

But hey, they're not complete charlatans ;)

Sanya is difficult to advise.

It's not like other ports in China- do you have any other calls in China? (Excluding HK, which doesn't need visas from Brits & other western countries)

Visa rules for Sanya changed this year (or last year?). Now something like :- visas not required if from a ship & using a local guide as long as theres at least ?two? in your party. I've got no idea whether "local guide" includes a taxi driver or an unregistered guide, or whether it has to be an official guide. HAL's own excursions will surely comply, their shore agents will have ensured that local officials will be happy with them.

But threads on cc show that cruiselines aren't clued-up, & even chinese embassies aren't clued-up, with conflicting advice to different cruisers. From memory Costa, of all people, seem the most clued-up. But even if you get correct info, you might still have grief if HAL think the rules are different.

Sorry to be so vague.

Here's some recent threads on the subject, they may help - or hinder :p

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1427870&highlight=sanya+visa

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1436030&highlight=sanya+visa

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1381812&highlight=sanya+visa

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1357364&highlight=sanya+visa

JB :) :confused:

Edited by John Bull

Don't worry about Vietnam & Cambodia, the ship will sort them while you're on board. Usually by collecting everyone's passport, & sorting the visas with an immigration officer who boards at a previous port & is hosted by the ship til it arrives (I'd like to apply for that job :)).

The cruiseline will charge everyones account with whatever they decide - & you won't have a say in it :rolleyes:

But hey, they're not complete charlatans ;)

Sanya is difficult to advise.

It's not like other ports in China- do you have any other calls in China? (Excluding HK, which doesn't need visas from Brits & other western countries)

Visa rules for Sanya changed this year (or last year?). Now something like :- visas not required if from a ship & using a local guide as long as theres at least ?two? in your party. I've got no idea whether "local guide" includes a taxi driver or an unregistered guide, or whether it has to be an official guide. HAL's own excursions will surely comply, their shore agents will have ensured that local officials will be happy with them.

But threads on cc show that cruiselines aren't clued-up, & even chinese embassies aren't clued-up, with conflicting advice to different cruisers. From memory Costa, of all people, seem the most clued-up. But even if you get correct info, you might still have grief if HAL think the rules are different.

Sorry to be so vague.

Here's some recent threads on the subject, they may help - or hinder :p

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1427870&highlight=sanya+visa

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1436030&highlight=sanya+visa

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1381812&highlight=sanya+visa

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1357364&highlight=sanya+visa

JB :) :confused:

Thank you. your information is useful.

• 3 years later...
You have Vietnam twice on the list.

Vietnam and Cambodia both issue visas on arrival, so most ships handle them for the passengers and place the charge on the onboard account.

Paul, am I glad I ran into someone such as yourself here! I've been told so many conflicting things about the visas available on board it isn't even funny! Sounds like you have sailed on HAL to Vietnam before, and I would like to hear it from them once and for all from the person who has been on my end, please. So HAL tells me I can obtain the vietnamese tourist visas on board for my family for $55 per person -- but some reps say I need to bring passport photos with me for visa application purposes, and some other reps say the price of $55 is all inclusive and I need to just show up with valid passport (with 6+months before the expiration date) with no other preparation.

I don't know what to believe any more.

What was your experience, Paul?:confused: Thank you for any information or advice you can share with me....

Hyunah

Vietnam Visa requirements underwent a major restructure effective 1 January 2015.

Ignore any posts with information prior to this date.

Sorry..but even though Vietnam tried to change visa policy for cruiseship visitor's...their tourism department has managed to delay any change...so things have reverted back again.

I've been watching this closely since I'll be porting there in a few weeks onboard RCI.

Many thanks

Rosita

Hi Rosita, Our Travel Agent (Canal Walk) told us we need the visa before we go? It cost us R800 per visa and R850 for courier (Postnet) to Pretoria! Not sure if it is different for South African passports? We will be in docking in Vietnam on 9 March, I'll be able to give you the low down after that (I'll try remember to post here!). Rob

Hi Rosita, Our Travel Agent (Canal Walk) told us we need the visa before we go? It cost us R800 per visa and R850 for courier (Postnet) to Pretoria! Not sure if it is different for South African passports? We will be in docking in Vietnam on 9 March, I'll be able to give you the low down after that (I'll try remember to post here!). Rob

Your travel agent has misinformed you. Your ship would have done a group transit visa. Exceptions are guests who are leaving the ship in Vietnam or are staying overnight and rejoining later. If you have done it already then no worries. The latest change with the group transit visas is they are now requesting passport sized photos attached to each application.

Edited by Searanger

Paul, am I glad I ran into someone such as yourself here! I've been told so many conflicting things about the visas available on board it isn't even funny! Sounds like you have sailed on HAL to Vietnam before, and I would like to hear it from them once and for all from the person who has been on my end, please. So HAL tells me I can obtain the vietnamese tourist visas on board for my family for $55 per person -- but some reps say I need to bring passport photos with me for visa application purposes, and some other reps say the price of $55 is all inclusive and I need to just show up with valid passport (with 6+months before the expiration date) with no other preparation.

I don't know what to believe any more.

What was your experience, Paul?:confused: Thank you for any information or advice you can share with me....

Hyunah

Paul posted this information in August 2011! I think you need to be aware that visa requirements have changed since then. Latest information I have is that you need to take 2 passport photos and fill in a form which your travel agent via the cruise line can provide.

I agree with RickinOz that visa requirements changed in January 2015. The Vietnamese Embassy in the UK recommended obtaining visas before we went to save time but the cruise line has said that if we fill in our forms and present them along with our photos when we embark they can provide visas for Vietnam and Cambodia. This visa will work for both those who are staying on board and those who are spending time ashore.

So pleased i have found this information, we got our visas 3 weeks ago to be on the safe side. On Sunday the 8th we got an email from Celebrity advising us that they were in negotation with Vietnam about getting visas just for the two days the ship would be visiting and were negotiating the cost but gave us an idea of what it would cost.

I emailed them to say we had got our visas at a cost of £108 approx for 2 people, why had they left it till now to advice us 3 weeks 3 days before we sail, i got a very negative feed back. So now i am very pleased that someone has confirmed the right information. Celebrity said that this new system started in January so they have got it wrong, i don't feel i have wasted my money.

When my Husband was at the Embassy he was told that you can get a visa at Vietnam Airport when you arrive. Not on the Port.

Hope this is useful as well.