Not sure what to do in Toulon

jazz935

Hello CC community. First want to thank you in advance for all the advice and suggestions I've gathered from this board. My wife and I are traveling on RCL LOS this weekend and will be in Provence (Toulon) Sunday. I've spent hours (literally!!) trying to decide what we should do during our 7am to 5pm stay. :confused:My desire is to visit Avignon, but I'm not having any luck locating train or bus information. As a back up I've reserved the ships shore excursion to Marseille but would really like to do our own thing. First time on a Med cruise & first time to France. Should we stick to Marseille? Is it possible to get there by train/bus from Toulon? Or should we venture out to Avignon? Again what train/bus? Thanks again!

I would stick to Marseille. The train journey to Avignon is at least 90 mins each way and may involve a change. Plus Toulon station is already a bit out of the centre, so you'd be spending quite a lot of your day travelling. (If you do decide to go to Avignon, make sure you'll end up at Avignon Centre station and not Avignon TGV, which is also out of town).

There's plenty to see and do in MRS and the journey is much simpler if you're doing it yourself. Trains run regularly and the trip takes from 45 mins to an hour. Make sure the train goes to Marseille Saint Charles station. Here are some suggestions for things to do: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles.html

Another option is to go to Cassis, a small seaside town close to Toulon (30 mins by train). The town itself is attractive, though not astonishing, but you can stroll round, have lunch, visit the beach if you like that sort of thing, and take a boat tour of the calanques (the spectacular rocky "fjords"). More about the calanques: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles/what-to-see-tourist-attractions/237-the-calanques.html

You've got four very busy days ahead of you. I'd take it easy that first day. Keep in mind it's Sunday, and much will be closed no matter where you go.

I'd get off the ship. There will be a very helpful tourist office right at the dock with suggestions of local things to do. Walk into town if you are up for it. Maybe take the water-bus across the bay to Toulon proper. Walk around Toulon. Relax. Soak up the atmosphere. Then head back to the ship.

If you are anything like us, you will be going full days in all the other ports. You don't have to do anything special in Toulon.

Edited by wcook

You've got four very busy days ahead of you. I'd take it easy that first day. Keep in mind it's Sunday, and much will be closed no matter where you go.

I'd get off the ship. There will be a very helpful tourist office right at the dock with suggestions of local things to do. Walk into town if you are up for it. Maybe take the water-bus across the bay to Toulon proper. Walk around Toulon. Relax. Soak up the atmosphere. Then head back to the ship.

If you are anything like us, you will be going full days in all the other ports. You don't have to do anything special in Toulon.

Thanks for your information..This has been my question as well and am glad someone asked it...Your advice sounds exactly what I was thinking of doing...

it is a tough and strange place to stop on cruise to the med.

the natural town to visit would be Aix-en-Provence.

This has a great history and it is a true provence town with 1000s of fountains.

it is almost a 2 hour train ride, 1 hour drive.

you can go to marseille like other people have said that would be easier!

You can't walk into Toulon from where the LOS docks at La Seyne sur Mer (at least that's where it docked when we went there last month)--it's way too far. Take the ship's shuttle bus, a taxi or (cheapest) the boat that leaves from a small but easily found dock across the harbor from where the LOS docks--it's a 10-15 minute walk. The tourist kiosk where the ship docks can give you the boat schedule. Also keep in mind that many shops in Toulon are closed on Sunday. We rented a car and drove to the Gardanne Sunday market and Aix-en-Provence--the connections by train from Toulon to get there are not great. If you don't want to do that, try the LOS excursion to Aix or the train as suggested to Marseille and Cassis or a nearby beach.

Les

Hi we are in Toulon for the day on Aug 26th, which is a Friday. We will have taken the kids on two bigs excursions the two days before, so want a more relaxing plan for Toulon.

We are on P&O - can we still get the boat as mentioned above for the LOS excursion?

Also, what is in Toulon itself? I quite fancy a wander about with the kids, but haven't worked out what is there near the port.

Thanks in advance for any tips

If I were to do it all again, I would stay on board the ship. You will be very busy in the upcoming days. We walked to the small village in Toulon (about 15 - 20 minutes) and it's true, everything is closed on Sundays. Enjoy that fabulous ship. Friday is a sea day and it is very crowded but enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Kate

you can't walk into toulon from where the los docks at la seyne sur mer (at least that's where it docked when we went there last month)--it's way too far. Take the ship's shuttle bus, a taxi or (cheapest) the boat that leaves from a small but easily found dock across the harbor from where the los docks--it's a 10-15 minute walk. The tourist kiosk where the ship docks can give you the boat schedule. Also keep in mind that many shops in toulon are closed on sunday. We rented a car and drove to the gardanne sunday market and aix-en-provence--the connections by train from toulon to get there are not great. If you don't want to do that, try the los excursion to aix or the train as suggested to marseille and cassis or a nearby beach.

Les

gonna be in toulon on nov. 8th on rcl repo cruise ---- where and how close was the car rental office to the ship? We would love to drive into france for a few hours and see aix du provence thanks jaugust

• 2 weeks later...
gonna be in toulon on nov. 8th on rcl repo cruise ---- where and how close was the car rental office to the ship? We would love to drive into france for a few hours and see aix du provence thanks jaugust
It was a 15 minute walk from the ship to the small boat that goes to the Toulon port dock, and a 15-20 minute walk from there to the train station (very easy to find using the many signs). You could also take a local bus or the ship's shuttle bus to get to Toulon or a taxi to take you directly to the train station. The rental car offices are in the front of the right side of the Toulon train station building complex.

If you won't be there on a Sunday, you can rent cars instead in La Seyne sur Mer near where the ship docks, which is closer to the ship than Toulon.

Les

Edited by taxatty

It was a 15 minute walk from the ship to the small boat that goes to the Toulon port dock, and a 15-20 minute walk from there to the train station (very easy to find using the many signs). You could also take a local bus or the ship's shuttle bus to get to Toulon or a taxi to take you directly to the train station. The rental car offices are in the front of the right side of the Toulon train station building complex.

If you won't be there on a Sunday, you can rent cars instead in La Seyne sur Mer near where the ship docks, which is closer to the ship than Toulon.

Les

Any idea of what car rental companies are in La Seyne sur Mer?

We continued to be puzzled why any cruise line would use Toulon as a port when they could easily use Marseille. More and more cruisers are learning that Toulon presents lots of problems when it comes to using public transit to get into the heart of Provence. Even for those of us who routinely drive in France, Toulon is a challenge for day trips since its just not a great location. My personal conclusion (not based on anything but a hunch) is that Toulon probably makes it easer for cruise lines to sell their overpriced excursions. From Marseille it is just too easy for folks to jump on a train or bus and go to places like Aix en Provence. We have already convinced several friends to avoid cruises that stop in Toulon in favor of cruises with more convenient ports.

Hank

There may well be some truth in the idea that it's easier to push cruisers into organised excursions from Toulon. However, I suspect that the main reason many companies avoid Marseille was the long and crippling dockers' strike which blockaded Marseille port for many weeks last winter. They may be concerned that this could flare up again at any time.

There may well be some truth in the idea that it's easier to push cruisers into organised excursions from Toulon. However, I suspect that the main reason many companies avoid Marseille was the long and crippling dockers' strike which blockaded Marseille port for many weeks last winter. They may be concerned that this could flare up again at any time.

Bonjour. Very good point. On the other hand, if labor issues were the reason to switch ports we suspect the cruise lines would just skip the entire country :)

Hank

I'm thinking about what to do from the dock in Toulon and don't want to take my ships's excursion bus to Marseille and Aix as I'm travelling with a first timer who has never been to Provence. Aix is great, as is Cassis which someone mentioned. I spent a couple of days there and loved it. Just a quiet village with a lot of seaside charm and the Calanques. It won't work for us this time though so I'm looking for a private tour to Aix.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if RCCL is going to dock in Toukon or Le Seyne Mer?

We were on the LOS last week (9/17 to 9/24). The ship docked in Le Seyne sur le Mer. Actually, it is about a 15 min walk to get to the town of Le Seyne sur le Mer. There was a little open air market the Sunday we were there. Quite a few eating places as well as bakeries. It was enjoyable. Toulon is actually quite far from where the ship docks. Your best best to get to Toulon is the ferry which is about a 5-10 min walk from the ship (you can see the docking area from the ship). It is definitely too far to walk to Toulon (trust me, we did it:eek:)!

Does anyone know if RCCL is going to dock in Toukon or Le Seyne Mer?

LoS docks in La Seyne Sur Mer on a Sunday. There is a local market in town, but a short ferry ride across the bay will get you to Toulon, where there is another local market and a few tourist trap shops. The small cafe to the left of where the ferry docks serves crepes that brought one of the best smiles I have seen from my wife!

• 1 year later...
Hello CC community. First want to thank you in advance for all the advice and suggestions I've gathered from this board. My wife and I are traveling on RCL LOS this weekend and will be in Provence (Toulon) Sunday. I've spent hours (literally!!) trying to decide what we should do during our 7am to 5pm stay. :confused:My desire is to visit Avignon, but I'm not having any luck locating train or bus information. As a back up I've reserved the ships shore excursion to Marseille but would really like to do our own thing. First time on a Med cruise & first time to France. Should we stick to Marseille? Is it possible to get there by train/bus from Toulon? Or should we venture out to Avignon? Again what train/bus? Thanks again!

:)

What did you end up doing? I will be in Toulon in Sept and have also been trying to decide what to do. We will be coming off of 3 very busy days.

Tnx

• 2 years later...

We are now in Toulon and after being on the go on our own for 9 days we opted for the shore walking trip. My husband paticularly wanted to visit the naval museum so that decided what we were doing. We left at 9:00 and were done at 2:00 but we could have stayed and eaten in town too. It is not as bad as described by some nice clean town for walking around along the harbor. Walking tour is about 1/2 hours. My husband is a photographer so he enjoys taking his pictures. So if you. Just need some down time and relaxing I would do this

• 2 weeks later...