Feedback on leaving from NYC to Nassau on Gem in middle of December.

cruisingabc

My husband and I just returned (middle of July) from the 7-day Jewel NYC to Nassau. We booked a courtyard room because we knew that in July there would alot of kids, all ages, and large family parties. The Courtyard area and access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch provided for the most part a calmer admosphere. Also the Jewel is marketed for the kids.

I'm looking for any feedback on taking the Gem in December NYC to Nassau. We plan to book a balcony room; so I'm trying to find out:

1. Do you think Dec 12 to Dec 19, alot of families with kids will be sailing?

2. What do you think the sea conditions in general would be. In July, they were so calm I never felt anything.

3. Are the pools on deck 12 heated?

4. Any idea of how warm the ocean is in GSC and Nassau?

Thanks for any feedback.

# of Kids: depends on where they are from. Most schools & districts don't let out for X-mas break that soon, but Parents who book are likely to pull their kids from school....(speaking as a Ret. teacher who taught 26 yrs in NYC schools)

Sea conditions: December is not "that Deep" into winter, but that being said, we have seen a trend of rougher weather in early to mid December these past few years(last years X-mas weekend storm ring a bell?). I'd start checking possibile weather about 14 days out. Bring a heavy coat or sweater for Embark/Disembark days.

I personally have not sailed in winter months, but i have several friends who do and say they have never had a severe issue and only once was a ship delayed out of NYC due to a front passing out to sea..

I will be on the GEM 10/30 to 11/6 so i will ask about the pools and report back.:)

As for Temps at destinations try weatherunderground.com they have a travel planner that is quite helpful...

Bill(DrFootball)

(" I will Give up My MAC when you pry it from my cold dead fingers")

I sailed out of NYC this past January on the Jewel. Obviously you'll need a coat if you plan to stand outside on the ship, but it wasn't horrible.

It was rough that first night until we hit some warmer water. The last night heading back to NY was rough also.

The weather in the Caribbean was hot and after the 10 days I was more than happy to get back home and cool off.

Our cruise was almost empty of kids and although the Jewel is Nickelodeon themed, you wouldn't have know it.

People were in the pools that first full day, so I'm guessing that the water wasn't freezing.

I would go again at that time of year.

We have sailed out of NYC in December twice, both times around Dec 5-12. Very few kids, in fact a very uncrowded ship except for some people who enjoy inexpensive cruises. Because it is between Thanksgiving and Christmas most people are busy shopping, etc. We even got upsold the second time to a penthouse suite :) Weather has been variable but we were out on deck for the sail away because it is so spectacular. Definitely cool on the first couple of days and the last day back. We found the weather in the Caribbean to be wonderful (we did Eastern Caribbean on the Dawn) I have 2 booked cruises for Februarys so we can get out of the cold and snow but would definitely consider a December cruise again.

Just thought I would post a 'thank you' to everyone who provided feedback. I'll also try to find out by contacting NCL on whether the pools on Deck 12 on the Gem are heated during the winter sailing time. Should I get a response that I think is accurate, I'll post it.

Gloria

We will be on the Gem Dec 12th. This will be our fourth December cruise. On most every cruise we've taken we've had one "rough" day and the rest are fine, both in December and July. Last December was cold up and down the east coast and it was very nice in Nassau, mid to upper 70's and the water was nice in Bahamas and the private island. Not very many kids on these cruises, and never felt overwhelmingly crowed. Usually by noon the first sea day it's comfortable to be outside without a coat. We think it's a great time to cruise, and will be in the courtyard villa. We had it for the first time last winter and that kind of pampering is tought to give up.

Archived