thong swimsuits allowed onboard?

chickenhead

I've been to many places in the US where a thong is not out of place. Las Vegas and Miami are two and I don't think they are the exception. I don't think you can really label what is or what is not 'mainstream' America.

Would I wear one on a cruise ship? Depends on the cruise and time of year but probably not. Would I wear one in Miami or Vegas? Yes.

OK,let me try and put this another way:

If you had asked whether or not it was allowed/appropriate to wear bluejeans (for example) in the diningroom to dinner you would have gotten the same response to your post as you got for the thong issue. It is simply not the APPROPRIATE dresscode on many lines. The manner in which you dress is a big reason alot of people choose specific cruise lines, some adore the casual whereas some can't wait for the opportunity to "put on the dog". This is a forum that has the word "Critic" in its name, its not "Askjeeves" you will have opinions, not neccessarily answers. You said that you were already aware of how most felt on the subject so what again is the motivation to pose the question when you already know the answer? To effect change? Then might I suggest you use your obviously fertile mind and contact your local congressman and lobby for such change.

Bottom line~(no pun intended) perhaps you should try a nudist cruise, they at least, have had the gumption to effect change to fit their needs and do not waste time straddling the fence.

Chickenhead, perhaps you should consider bringing two bathing suits--one thong, one non-thong?

I personally see nothing wrong with thong bathing suits, but most cruise ships do have many older (read: more modest) people on board as well as children whose parents might get upset about having to explain why "that lady's butt is eating her bathing suit." :D

Modesty-wise, I don't see any difference between a thong bathing suit and a Speedo or a skimpy bikini.

First off, it's not just the cheeks that bother me....why even bother to put anything on?

because that would be illegal (at least in most places)

People who wear thongs are exhibitionist and nothing more. They, in my opinion, lack self respect, and need for people to look at them to get attention because it makes them feel important.

so why do i wear a thong when i am alone in my pool? i'll answer it for you, because they are the most comfortable swimsuits. i already explained why i wear them.

I think it's comical that the front is covered, but the back is left for all to see. Nothing is left to the imagination. Let's not forget what the butt is for. 1.....expelling spent food, and 2, to cushion when you sit. Now I have never thought the butt was "sexy", but maybe that's just me.

these two statements seem to be quite contradictory. if you don't feel the butt is sexy then what are you talking about when you say nothing is left for the imagination when the back is left for all to see? and by the way i would imagine you are in the minority when you say the butt is not sexy.

It's disrespectful to wear them in mixed company, in my opinion.

since you say this is your opinion, i won't try to dispute it. but i will counter with my opinion in case you don't remember. it's disrespectful to complain about someone doing something that is different from what you wish they were doing.

If you are at South Beach, or a similar beach where it is done, and people expect it there, then I can see that. But to wear it on a ship, where there will be a number of people, including children, who find it offensive, is completely self centered. Of course exhibitionist are self centered though.

people who want others to do, behave, and dress in accordance to their own views are self centered too. i suspect we are all a little self centered.:o

I do consider myself a progressive thinker, but public nudity is not acceptable to me, and that's just what it is. The only reason it is not legally considered true public nudity, from what I can see is that the butt is not considered a "sexual organ".

i agree with this completely. the reason why it is ok to wear a thong is because is covers any and all sexual organs. therefore it is not nudity. buy, hey, laws can be changed. feel free to go to washington and state your case, i won't talk bad about you.

Bottom line, those who like to wear them, think there is nothing wrong with it. The rest of us find it tacky, disrespectful, and just plain offensive.

other posts prove you wrong. people have posted that they would not wear one, but if others want to, it is fine with them.

I have NO desire to ever come to understand someone with your views

progressive thinker everybody! :) (and maybe a little self centered?);)

I think everyone is a little too worried about this.

100% agreement here. just like i said in my last post. worry about the big issues in life, not how much of my butt cheeks are showing.

If you want to wear a thong bathing suit, go ahead, there are no rules against it. Some ships have topless decks, you may find it a little more comfortable up there, instead of all the mixed company.

this was the kind of answer i had been hoping for when i originally posted. thank you. if there is a deck where more people are wearing thongs then that is where i will be. i am not deliberately trying to offend anyone with my thong. i just want to wear one without being hassled. so of course i will go where the hassling is less likely.

For the OP, I don't understand why you are so upset about this. You asked this question on a public forum, you will get many differing answers, many of them won't be the answers you were looking for.

well, happy ks, you had me up to that point. i went out of my way to say how i was not upset. i do not post in a negative manner. i do not curse or call names. i calmly state my case.

However, there are far more people brave enough to give their opinion in the safety of annonymity, you will not get this attitude onboard a ship. I shouldn't write that, there are rude people everywhere.

here here.

last of all, i would like to thank the following posters for their logical, helpful, humorous and/or unaggressive posts:

bluehorizonlover123

waterrats

icebrat001

blueherons

gillmom2

happy ks

dantesab

bajan keith: have not booked a cruise yet, am looking for one this summer though. and how do you know you would like to see me in a thong?

laurin612: i absolutely planned on bringing several swimsuits of differing coverages. i was just hoping to wear the thongs as much as possible.

cher amie:

If you had asked whether or not it was allowed/appropriate to wear bluejeans (for example) in the diningroom to dinner you would have gotten the same response to your post as you got for the thong issue.

if i would have asked if blue jeans was allowed/appropriate to wear in the dining room you would have asked me why i wanted to wear blue jeans? (and besides, i asked were they allowed. not were they appropriate.) why would you post a 'why' question instead of just telling me if blue jeans were allowed in the dining room? you still haven't answered either question i have posed. 1) are they allowed? 2)why did you post in this thread? i have answered/explained everything on my end, your turn.

You said that you were already aware of how most felt on the subject so what again is the motivation to pose the question when you already know the answer?

wow, you really missed it there. i asked was it allowed. i did not know the answer to that question. i said i already knew how many people felt about thongs. i did not ask how they felt about thongs. i asked if they were allowed onboard.

Then might I suggest you use your obviously fertile mind and contact your local congressman and lobby for such change.

my fertile mind will not allow me to comprehend this statement. what change should i be lobbying for?:confused:

Bottom line~(no pun intended) perhaps you should try a nudist cruise, they at least, have had the gumption to effect change to fit their needs and do not waste time straddling the fence.

surely i have not come across as 'straddling the fence' on this issue. if i was planning on being nude in public then i would absolutely book a nudist cruise. (we have already hashed out the legalities of the thong and nudity.)

Oh honestly.. this is out of control..

Some people are offended by thongs. If you want to wear it then go ahead. You are going to get people who think you should not wear it and think you are an exhibistionist, you cannot change their opinions why bother to try? Just do what is legal but know some people are going to be bothered. And truth be told you might just be an exhibitionist. Just because I am paranoid does not mean I am not being chased.

Thongs are comfortable, I wear thong underwear all the time. I don't wear thong bathing suits but I am 41 and have four kids. Some people think that should not stop me but it does.

The hind end is an errogenous zone to many people. That's just the way it is. If it is not seen that way by all posters then why act surprised?

Many people populate these boards. They are from all walks of life, colors, sizes, religious persuassions and sexual orientations. At some point in time, some way, some how you are going to offend the living heck out of someone here. Why is everyone so surprised when this happens? Jeans in the dining room? Offends some, shorts.. Good grief don't start a thread on it. Drunks onboard? Smokers? Kids on board?? Old people, young people, people that breath too hard.. and "relations" on the balconey??!.. heck just say you don't like a particular line and you will be jumped on... That's the nature of a large public forum like this.

There are going to be people on your cruise that offend you. There are going to be people on your cruise you can become life long friends with.. and there are going to be people on every cruise that are miserable when you are not.. Guess what? I just offended people with this post. Build a bridge and get over it everyone.

If the cruise line does not have a problem with thongs then the cruiser can wear them. Does that mean she should? Maybe, maybe not.

Nliedel, i appreciate your input. you obviously understand that everyone is different and i can't live my life trying not to offend anyone, because it will happen whether i try or not. i also appreciate you not imposing your ideals on me or anyone else.

i don't think you should let your age or the number of kids determine if you wear

a thong swimsuit. you should try it, have fun!:D

the only thing that surprises me about these posts are how people will go out of their way to complain about something.

and by the way, Nliedel, you didn't offend me with your post.:)

if i had known that all this would have taken place i would have just called the cruise line itself. but two things caused me to do it here instead. 1) i haven't booked a cruise so i don't know which cruise line to call and i don't want to call all of them when i figured i could get a good idea here 2) i really thought i would just get a few posts saying there were or were not any rules banning thong swimsuits.

but, oh well, it has been a fun and enlightening ride.

Chickenhead,

It's disrespectful to wear them in mixed company, in my opinion.

since you say this is your opinion, i won't try to dispute it. but i will counter with my opinion in case you don't remember. it's disrespectful to complain about someone doing something that is different from what you wish they were doing.

No, it is not. It's called freedom of speech, and free will, that I don't do it, OR that I don't want to be around it. Nothing disrespectful about it at all.

Bottom line, those who like to wear them, think there is nothing wrong with it. The rest of us find it tacky, disrespectful, and just plain offensive.

other posts prove you wrong. people have posted that they would not wear one, but if others want to, it is fine with them.

The few that have posted on this do not represent the population in it's entirety, so I don't think you should take this board as a consensus that the MAJORITY of the planet is on board with people showing their a$$es in public. Just for the record, I am not religious at all, but I do have morals, and respect for myself. So this is not a religion thing to me. You will never convince me that this is about comfort.

If the morals in this country continue down the road they are on, where no one gives a crap about what anyone wears, or does, anywhere, we will all end up looking at people who look like they should live in Zimbabwe.

That's all I have to say on this, it's a futile debate as I will never understand you, nor you I.

chickenhead... i don't know if i would like to see you in a thong but the point I was trying to make was that it does not matter what you wear. I believe a mountain is being made of a mole hill.

I am also a first time cruiser and my gf and I are going on triumph april 2006 and to be frank it does not matter what anyone else on the cruise wears. We will be too busy having fun & meeting lots of new people than to sweat the small stuff. :rolleyes:

Can't we all just get a thong...uh... i mean along :D :p

Bajan Keith: i like your style. don't sweat the small stuff.:p

1corona4u:

are you saying it is disrespectful for me to do something you do not like, but that it is not disrespectful for you to do something i don't like? now we are really self centered.

"The few that have posted on this do not represent the population in it's entirety, so I don't think you should take this board as a consensus that the MAJORITY of the planet is on board with people showing their a$$es in public."

i never said or implied that i thought a few posts represented the majority. i simply showed direct opposition to your blanket statement that everyone who doesn't wear a thong thinks it is disrespectful. there was nothing wrong with my statement and therefore no way you could possibly have a problem with it.

"You will never convince me that this is about comfort."

i stated that i wear them because they are the most comfortable swimsuit available. that's the truth. you can't dispute that. you may not like it or you may not believe it, but it is still the truth. now, that being said, if i had bad self image, or low self esteem, or was morbidly shy, then i wouldn't wear them even if they were the most comfortable. but since i don't have any of those problems, i feel comfortable doing it.

"we will all end up looking at people who look like they should live in Zimbabwe."

:eek: wow, so now you have gone all the way to saying that one culture is better than another? of course you picked your own culture to represent the better of the two. do you not realize that all wars were caused by someone thinking that they knew better, that their ideas were the right ones, that they had all the right answers, that their way of living was best? we are at war right now because the terrorists attacked us. they attacked us because they don't like the way we do things. surely you do not mean to put yourself on the same level?

"That's all I have to say on this, it's a futile debate as I will never understand you, nor you I."

thanks for letting me have the last word. i agree that it is futile to debate you. and as i have stated in a previous post, i am not writing this to try to change the mind of the person to whom i am responding. i am writing so others can see this subject from more than one viewpoint. but i disagree with that last part. i think i do understand you.

Well the reason I don't wear a thong has more to do with what happened to my hind end after two kids in two years at 39 and 40 more than the whole "mom" thing.. I also don't go topless cause I don't have my chest, just the bags they came in..

On that note, badabum, you know more than you need to know.

":eek: wow, so now you have gone all the way to saying that one culture is better than another? of course you picked your own culture to represent the better of the two. do you not realize that all wars were caused by someone thinking that they knew better, that their ideas were the right ones, that they had all the right answers, that their way of living was best? we are at war right now because the terrorists attacked us. they attacked us because they don't like the way we do things. surely you do not mean to put yourself on the same level?"

Well, since you didn't understand what I said, really, none of it, but this above really made me laugh because you got so far off the path, LOL. I was talking about the nakedness of the people in Zimbabwe, and their piercing, etc. which we see everyday in this country. It had nothing to do with who is a better country or who has a better idea, LOL...........you sort of got off on a tangent, wouldn't you say, LOL....

Interesting how you skew things I say to fit what you think they mean, not what I really said at all.....I am done with you, you may have the last word, since it's so important to you, LOL.....

I tend to not read through every single post on a thread, especially when it becomes redundant as this one has. Either people say it is fine, don't care, or highly object.

My post stating you were upset is mostly in regards to your answering many opinions stated and using bold text. You do seem to be upset with the people who did not answer the question the way you wanted it answered.

If you are comfortable wearing a thong, you do not need other peoples' permission to do so. Since you asked the question, it is clear you have your doubts. So, it is a bit confusing to me whether you want advise or just wanted to start a debate. My point is, you will get all the answers you didn't want on a public forum, so just accept it. Every one is entitled to their personal opinion.

My personal opinion on thongs? Well, all I can say is (when I was younger and had a much better body) I probably would not have worn anything like that. Because, you have no control over who is oggling your body. If it were just fine looking young men (or women, depends on your gender and preference) I may have been attracted to, it may have been a very slim option. But, when in public, there are just too many creepy minded people out there. I've never been one to want or need attention from strangers. That is most peoples point here who don't like it, you will be in the mixed company of strangers on a cruise ship.

But, I really don't care if you wear one. If you are not attractive in it (in my opinion) I'll just roll over and look in the opposite direction, no biggie.

Wearing a throng is perfectly okay. If that is what you want to wear, then by all means wear it.

There is nothing wrong with the human body, but there is something wrong with individuals who gossip, dictate, slander, and mock someone on the basis of how that person dresses.

It is not other people's job to play judge or juror. Yes, people will talk, but so what. I always wonder why people spend so much time worrying about the way other people look. I am pretty sure that these same people are not the most fashionable looking people themselves. Like others mentioned already; do not look or go to the pool area if you do not want to see throngs.

The ship has no policy on individuals wearing throngs.

My gosh I can not believe that people are so close minded and mean spirited. I say wear your throng and enjoy your vacation. :D

I can't help myself....what is a throng?

LOL...:D I bet that's the last we hear from them, LOL......I know we all know what it is, but thought it was kind of funny, in an abstract way, LOL, here is the definition, for the poster;

1. A large group of people gathered or crowded closely together; a multitude. See Synonyms at crowd1.
  2. A large group of things; a host.

v. thronged, throng·ing, throngs

v. tr.

1. To crowd into; fill: commuters thronging the subway platform.
  2. To press in on.

Yeah, I guess a thong could be called a throng, since it crowds into your crack, LOL.............a thong isn't however a "large group" of anything, not material anyway, LOL....:D

Say this fast 3 times, the three throngs of tiny thong things....LOL...:D

Well, Good Morning !

I believe that thongs are inappropriate. I believe that skimpy bikinis are inapproprate. I have seen one piece bathing suits that are inappropriate.

A woman can have a beautiful figure, but she flaunts it in public by dressing inappropriately...and then it is no longer a beautiful figure. This of course, is my HO. (that's humble opinion).

We women, should flaunt our figures (size 2 or 20) to our husbands, in our bedroom. Why do we want to tempt other men?

I know. The world does not think this way. I'm old fashioned. I'm a prude. Whatever.....

But, the sexual design for a man and a woman...is just that...one man and one woman...and a married man and woman.

Ouch....a touchy subject.

Yes. I know.

I only hope this helps someone to possibly understand why some take offense to the issue of bodies that are not modestly clothed.

Feel free to agree with me. Feel free to disagree with me. Please, do not bash me as I have expressed my opinion on this subject. That's really not necessary.

Now....I would like to answer the question that the OP asked: Of course, you will be allowed to wear a thong on your cruise.

ps. I have tried to insert a "smiley"...but they don't work!

I have no problem with thongs on girls or guys. Who cares...don't look. What I don't like is if you do wear one, please shave. It looks like Curly from the 3 stooges otherwise :D.

And ladies, please do the pits as well. That's yuck!!!!

Ducking now!!!

Jeff :)

first, i would like to apologize to anyone that has been offended or upset by anything i have posted. that was not my intention.

second, curly is bald. if you were to shave THEN you would look like curly. if you don't shave, you would look more like larry.

third, i orginally asked the question only because i didn't know if they were allowed.

You do seem to be upset with the people who did not answer the question the way you wanted it answered. -- happy ks

i only had a problem with people who were posting but NOT answering the question. i just wanted an answer. it's like if i had asked what was 2+2. the answer i would have wanted was 4. i don't want to hear if people think i shouldn't be doing addition, and i don't want them to ask me why i am doing addition. if you know the answer if 4, then tell me. otherwise go post somewhere else. i am a straightforward person and that is way i like to do things. i don't want to beat around the bush or lolligag.

If you are comfortable wearing a thong, you do not need other peoples' permission to do so. Since you asked the question, it is clear you have your doubts. -- happy ks

i didn't have any doubts other than if they were allowed, and i wasn't asking for permission. i have now gotten enough info from different sources to come to the conclusion that there are no rules against it while on the ship. that does not mean i WILL wear one, but at least i know if i decide to wear one, i won't be breaking any rules. also, i found out that some ships have another deck where you can even go topless. if my ship has such a deck, then i shall wear my thong there, and when i am not on that deck, i most likely will wear a different suit.

fourth, by using boldface type i was solely trying to differentiate my text from the text to which i was responding. i knew better than to use all caps, but i didn't realize bold was going to evoke the same feelings. sorry.

fifth, i realize that many people view the human body in many different ways. i think i conveyed that in my posts. i certainly never disagreed with it. the only rub i have is when someone tells me what i should wear or complains about what i am wearing. i think it is inappropriate to vocalize your negative thoughts to someone when they are fully within all rules and laws. do you have the right to do it? yes. but just because you have the right doesn't mean it IS right. it is rude. i realize that those last few sentences could be told right back to me about my thong--just because you CAN wear one, doesn't mean you should. and again i say, i may not wear one. i just wanted to know that, if i decided to wear one, if i could wear one and still adhere to the rules of the ship. i am not out to make others feel uncomfortable or appalled. i am not out to get attention. i am not out to draw a throng with my thong.:) i simply want to wear one because it is comfortable. if it appears to be acceptable at the time, then i want to wear it. if it does not appear to be accepted (if no one else is wearing one) then i most likely will not wear one. but when i get to the beaches, all bets are off :cool: .

sixth, 1corona4u, i agree i got off on a tangent. i guess you are saying that is not what you meant when you mentioned Zimbabwe. if that is the case, then i certainly misunderstood you. let me explain how i got onto that tangent. you wrote that if our morals continue to decay we will all look like the people from Zimbabwe. that sentence leads me to believe that you think the morals of the Zimbabwe people are somehow lesser in quality to our own morals. now if that is not what you meant, then i am sorry i got off on the tangent. but surely you can see how i got the idea that you think Zimbabwe is somehow substandard to the United States. if you had only stated that if people wear less clothing they will end up looking like people from Zimbabwe, i would have had no problem with that. it was just the fact you threw in the word 'morals' that led me down that path. oh, and having the last word is not important to me, i simply put that in there because even though you said you were done, i figured the chances of you NOT posting again on this subject were slim to none.:)

seventh, pro people mover, i do not plan to wear a thong TO the cruise. LOL.

Archived