Just off Diamond? Could you use self laundry?

somethingdifferent

I heard several comments earlier regarding not being able to use the self laundry in Alaskan waters. Could someone give a update on this. I know it was ship specific and had to do with possible polution concerns. We are trying to pack light but so many clothes makes it hard.
The ship has to be at least 12 miles offshore in order for the laundries to open as they are not allowed to dump grey water within the limit. On Alaskan cruises, most of the cruising is done in the Inside Passage or into fjords, etc., which means the laundry rooms would be closed. They would be open when the ship is at sea. Check your itinerary since that determines when the laundry room(s) will open or not. It doesn't matter which ship you're on, Alaska is very strict with it's environmental controls, which is a good thing.

Looking at the itinerary for my upcoming NB cruise on the Diamond, it looks like I can expect to only find the self-service laundry open one day (the first full day). This will change how I pack, and appreciate so much knowing now so I can adjust how I pack.

Does anybody know if the full-service laundry would still be available? How about an idea of what the pricing is?

Appreciate all of the incredible information I've found here on CC! Thanks in advance for any help with these questions! =)

I know laundry is terribly boring (definitely, I'm doing a load right now!), so my apologies for bumping this once before it drops off the second page, but was really hoping to get some clarification.

Thanks in advance!

I just finished the NB Alaskan cruise on the Diamond and I used the self-serve laundry twice--once on Sunday (the first sea day) and once on Wednesday evening. Our friends used it on Friday morning. We were at sea all those times and had no trouble with the laundry rooms being open and available.

We did the south bound in July. Sunday and Monday were sea days. I did laundry on Sunday. My friend did it early in the morning before arriving in Juneau. They seemed to be open about an hour after or leaving port.

You should be ok to do your laundry at those times.

Was on the Diamond in the summer of 2008. We did southbound from Whittier. The self service laundry was open every day (other than at posted times).

This past May on the Sea Princess, the laundry was closed for part of the time. They told us it was because she doesn't have big enough holding tanks for all the gray water. This included having the laundry done by the ship.

Bigger ship = bigger holding tanks = laundry open.

Archived