Wheel Chair Service @ Port Everglades

dclizcox

My 71 year old mother and I are taking the Noordam cruise on 1/13 out of FLL.

She needs wheelchair assistance during the check in process. Our TA has requested it already but I was wondering if any one has ever asked for wheelchair assistance for boarding and what the process is like.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Liz

I've only boarded there once, but had a reasonably positive experience.

When I arrived I had to make my own way toward the entrance, where there were several HAL stewards with wheelchairs. I asked for assistance, and they sat me down. I was wheeled to a separate check-in line, then proceeded to board.

The same steward stayed with me from beginning to end.

On a recent boarding I was told the wheelchair assistance only goes as far as the entrance to the ship now. They used to take you to the Lido. But this last time, on the Prinsendam, I was wheeled all the way to my cabin.

So, I don't know how far onto the ship you will get.

I do suggest that you drop off as close to the entrance as you can. And, since your Mom has you with her, you can go over and get the chair & steward, and bring them back to your Mom. She won't have to walk as far that way.

In Ft Lauderdale -- many times they seat the wheelchair people in a special area on the second level of the terminal -- you will go up in the elevator.

Wheel chair people are taken onto the ship first. As to what happens now with the new idea that you can go directly to your cabin -- I have no idea if they will take you to the Lido, to your cabin or just drop you off once you have scanned your ID card to get on the ship.

My 71 year old mother and I are taking the Noordam cruise on 1/13 out of FLL.

She needs wheelchair assistance during the check in process. Our TA has requested it already but I was wondering if any one has ever asked for wheelchair assistance for boarding and what the process is like.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Liz

Upon arriving at the dock just notify one of the HAL representatives queing the passengers that wheelchair assistance will be needed. Once through the registration process you will be directed to a seating area designated for wheelchair assistance. You will than wait until boarding begins and will again have to wait your turn for wheelchair assistance. You need to be patient particularly if there are a lot requesting wheelchair assistance. If you board prior to 1:00PM and the cabins are not ready she will not be allowed to be taken to her cabin. They will take her up to the main entrance of the ship near the first bank of elevators. When debarking the ship she will than be instructed to a waiting area for wheelchair assistance and the process begins in again in reverse.

If she needs wheelchair assistance getting on/off the ship during embarkation and debarkation, than the question needs to be asked if she will be able to walk the ship during the cruise and walk off the ship for any excursions ? The cruise line does not provide wheelchair assistance during the cruise . Wheelchair assistance is only provided during the cruise in the event of a medical emergency such as a someone falling a spraining an ankle during the cruise. It will only provided for her during embarkation and debarkation. If she's planning to go on any shore excursions you might really consider renting a collapsable wheelchair . The walk from the ship to the port entrance can be very lengthy. You can either rent one locally and bring it to the ship yourself or rent one through one of HAL's pre-approved rental companies such a CareVacations.

Archived