Do you pre-tip your cabin steward?

Starzend

[quote name='Perfect Stranger']That's a lot of money to spend for olives...:rolleyes:

We get fresh towels daily too.[/QUOTE]

Ummm I dont think that's slot of money at all
And as far as the towels.... Not fresh
New.... U know when u first board the towels always are new/ dark blue
Then you get old faded , clean but old and faded
Like I said. To ea thier own

[quote name='Starzend'][B]After reading through the reply's I can certainly tell who's food [/B]
[B]hits the kitchen floor (or even worse) then placed neatly back onto[/B]
[B]the plate by your server when you go out to eat at a restaurant...:eek:[/B][/quote]

Oh, please.

"I just don't understand why cruisers get so involved in the personal business of the crew. Do you get this involved when you are at home and dining out? Do you tip extra because it may be a single mom with three kids only making $2 per hour? What about the teen trying to pay for college? Do you give them extra money because they are working so hard . . . ."

Actually, yes, we do tip extra when we hear their stories. We feel blessed just being able to eat out OCCASIONALLY, and our hearts open up to others less fortunate.

Kathy

Honestly I've never wanted to tour behind "Denny's" closed doors. ;-)

As for touring the ship, they're not hiding anything and it's not grungy. Well, the ballast/bilge rooms are kinda ucky. They're really afraid of somebody getting hurt or "accosted". Use your imagination.

What's amazing is the logistics involved. How they manage it is beyond me but they're working 24/7.

If it's not your "thing" that's ok. I sure enjoy it.

You have to love this site.. with all the peeps passion.

Pre tipping =Bribes… to each their own!

Btw I do pre tip ( or bribe as others call it)

Its not a large amount of cash – 25-50 , my smuggled vodka is always on ice.

When my jar of olives were empty , more olives appear.

My Carnival towels are new thruout the trip ( not just on the first day).

I also pretip/ bribe all sorts of people , from bar tenders on a cruise ship to restaurant host/hostesses , and if you ever been to Vegas a well placed” bribe” often gets you a great table.

One doesn’t have to pre tip or bribe , but in my opinion it works.

To ea. Their own

Yes, it DOES work, and not just on cruiseships. I certainly don't care what it's called. Justify not doing it however you please! (not you bob)

Hi,

My wife & I always tip our cabin steward on embarkation day and on disembarkation day.

If its a back-to-back cruise we also tip on turnaround day.

We do it to simply make sure everything goes smooth, & we always let the steward know more $$ will be coming their way.

Sorry if this sounds cliche, or actually the acronym: To Insure Prompt Service.

Leaving your auto-tip on & not adjusting it, do you pre-tip your cabin steward?

not sure if it's been said, but you are not insuring anything. you are ensuring, and you're not even doing that.

pretipping is a bribe, and will not get you any better service than throwing the pretip in the trash bin.

not sure if it's been said, but you are not insuring anything. you are ensuring, and you're not even doing that.

pretipping is a bribe, and will not get you any better service than throwing the pretip in the trash bin.

What works for me may not work for you. But that doesn't stop it from working for me... Although I admit to never having thrown money in the trash bin (sic).

YMMV

After reading through the reply's I can certainly tell who's food

hits the kitchen floor (or even worse) then placed neatly back onto

the plate by your server when you go out to eat at a restaurant...:eek:

i would certainly change the venues you choose to eat in, if that's your expectation. :eek:

even a cruise critic article, interviewing the staff, had them scratching their heads at to why anyone would do this (pre-tip) before they even had an opportunity to serve you, or taking the time to evealuate their service.

these people are not americans with their hands out at every corner.

What works for me may not work for you. But that doesn't stop it from working for me... Although I admit to never having thrown money in the trash bin (sic).

YMMV

and how would one know what they would get had they not done this.

i board expecting superior service, and 99.9 % that's exactly what i get.

seems we still get the same results.

Sure seems like the personal attacks are taking over.

I am not sure if I will pre tip on my first cruise. Will have to wait and see if I feel like it at the time. Alot will have to do with the pleasantness of the steward upon our meeting. It makes me feel

Good to reward someone for having a good attitude. :)

In my 30+ years of cruising I've been to "crew parties" , "Officer parties (dull)", Hottub parties (not dull), just about every part of the ship you can think of. Been told of "crew" places in port and discount purchasing opportunities.

You''re right. It's not worth it at all...

Hi Ib4cruzn:)

Yes! I like the way you think Ib4cruzn.

The list is endless. However I see that many people

will pick apart each word of what-cha say here,

so I didn't bother to list anything in particular when I asked this question.

The pre tip has opened a lot of doors while cruisin'.

Many lil' extra perks. No cork fee, no towel fee,

steward contacting officer friend to place our name

on the vip bridge tour list, free tour. Crew pool, crew party,

items replenished in your room that would not normally be.

During our last cruise the specialty restaurant was booked, our cabin steward knew someone in reservations & got us in.

The same thing occurred when we tried to make

a reservation in the Sanctuary aboard the

Caribbean Princess, they only had port days available, our

cabin steward made a call & got us a reservation during a sea day.

Two cruises ago we received a half price chefs table

because our cabin steward told us to go to the

pursers desk & ask for someone they know.

Extra chocolate, no charge for soda or water in cabin.

I can go on & on, but someone will pick this apart also, lol.

I can't imagine not pre tippin' someone that has access to all sorts of perks.. Its funny that some view it as a bribe, I merely view it

as, "I know ya have access or friends that have access, can ya hook us up"..

That said, its not all about the perk, I realize the auto tip is hardly any money for the amount

of work they do, so here is $$$$ to show you how much I appreciate your service..

Money most certainly does talk, and who ya know certainly applies here. Most often a pre tip makes things happen that normally would not happen.. Far better than ANY on board credit I have ever received..

Pre-tipping is no guarantee of getting good service. So if you pre-tip your cabin steward and then get poor service, what do you do, ask them for your money back?? Or just feel foolish for giving him money right off the bat? :rolleyes:

In ten cruises we've never pre-tipped and have received stellar service. I can't imagine that pre-tipping would have changed anything.

We keep the auto tips in place but have always added envelopes with extra money at the end of the cruise.

Pre-tipping is no guarantee of getting good service. So if you pre-tip your cabin steward and then get poor service, what do you do, ask them for your money back?? Or just feel foolish for giving him money right off the bat? :rolleyes:

In ten cruises we've never pre-tipped and have received stellar service. I can't imagine that pre-tipping would have changed anything.

We keep the auto tips in place but have always added envelopes with extra money at the end of the cruise.

I never had poor service after pre tipping. Only exceptional service, with many perks that normally would not occur.

Of course it is not a guarantee. I rather have my pre tip in place than not have it in place. Something is more than nothing.

If I can increase the odds of certain perks or situations taking place as I listed above in a reply, I'm gonna do it.

I doubt that anyone ever pre tipped received poor service. Unless their pre tip was $1, hahaha! And then they wonder why their luggage locks were cut off when they disembarked, just kidding.

In all seriousness, I typically give our cabin steward $50 and tell them more $$ will be coming their way. They would be crazy to miss out on additional $$..

Bad service after a pre tip is simply not gonna happen. It could, but come on....

In my 30+ years of cruising I've been to "crew parties" , "Officer parties (dull)", Hottub parties (not dull), just about every part of the ship you can think of. Been told of "crew" places in port and discount purchasing opportunities.

You''re right. It's not worth it at all...

To think of the fun Iv'e been missing out on all these years!:D

I never had poor service after pre tipping. Only exceptional service, with many perks that normally would not occur.

Of course it is not a guarantee. I rather have my pre tip in place than not have it in place. Something is more than nothing.

If I can increase the odds of certain perks or situations taking place as I listed above in a reply, I'm gonna do it.

like what?

like what?

Before ya attack, making my font tremendous in size, good grief man, read above H82seaUgo...

You'll find the answer in a reply I made.. It even states that in the quoted reply of mine THAT YOU just enlarged!! Didn't you read what you quoted from me??? Wow......

People only read or see what they wanna see...

I was also curious, how much are you tipping these people to get all sorts of fees waved AND does the amount of fees/free stuff amount to the tip you give?

A tip is for awesome service. When you are receiving things that are OUTSIDE of room service, it's no longer a tip for room service, is it?...and that's OKAY! But call it what it is. It's a personal choice!

Like a lot of people on here, I throw some cash their way on the last day to let them know I appreciate their hard work. They definitely DO deserve it!

PS - As for people throwing food on the floor and serving it, I think that's a little ridiculous. I've worked a food industry for a while and even when I've had to wait on the biggest a$$holes, I'd still never do that. Plus, these people are already being tipped, anything extra is EXTRA!

Before ya attack, making my font tremendous in size, good grief man, read above H82seaUgo...

You'll find the answer in a reply I made.. It even states that in the quoted reply of mine THAT YOU just enlarged!! Didn't you read what you quoted from me??? Wow......

um, no, i see no stated perks you get for throwing money around.

you're kidding , right. my post was made at 11:20. you altered your post at 11:22. :rolleyes:

Archived