Do you pre-tip your cabin steward?

Starzend

Who knew I'd cause such a stir referring to a pre-tip as a "bribe". I think the passengers who "pre-tip" don't realize the quality of service they're getting is "normal". How can you always think you're getting "exceptional service". Doesn't it, by definition, have to be an "exception" (i.e., "rare" or "unusual") for it to be "exceptional"?

Try not pre-tipping next time and see how it goes. I bet you get the same level of great service.

And I had to laugh when I saw the long list of "extras" you got for your pre-tip. How many of those were "extra fee" services? So your $50 pre-tip gave you the good fortune of being able to buck up another $60 for the pay-restaurant? And that's a good thing? That's a lot of extra sodas and chocolates to make that $110 worthwhile!

[quote name='T. Advisor King']Who knew I'd cause such a stir referring to a pre-tip as a "bribe". [B][U] I think the passengers who "pre-tip" don't realize the quality of service they're getting is "normal". [/U][/B] How can you always think you're getting "exceptional service". Doesn't it, by definition, have to be an "exception" (i.e., "rare" or "unusual") for it to be "exceptional"?

Try not pre-tipping next time and see how it goes. I bet you get the same level of great service.

And I had to laugh when I saw the long list of "extras" you got for your pre-tip. How many of those were "extra fee" services? So your $50 pre-tip gave you the good fortune of being able to buck up another $60 for the pay-restaurant? And that's a good thing? That's a lot of extra sodas and chocolates to make that $110 worthwhile![/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!!! A good steward will do just about anything you ask, if he can.. Extra ice, chocolates, towels, ashtrays. Tips on ports, etc. etc... And a bad one (rare) isn't gonna do much extra no matter what.
IMHO, pre-tipping on top of the auto tips is one of three things.
The nicest one being just a generous heart giving a gift to someone they feel compassion for. These are the folks that feel sooo bad for the crew being away from their families, working long hours, etc.
The second reason is usually just a newbie misconception, based on things they have read or heard. They think they won't even get fresh towels if they don't pre-tip.
The third reason is the ROTTEN one & is a minor character/ego flaw. It pathetically screams "look at me, I am more important than the rest of the people you will take care of this week. Here is some money ahead of time, so please realize just how nice & special I really am. I want more than everyone else will get, give me things"
Just how I see it.

[quote name='Starzend'][B]Hi,
My wife & I always tip our cabin steward on embarkation day and on disembarkation day.
If its a back-to-back cruise we also tip on turnaround day.
We do it to simply make sure everything goes smooth, & we always let the steward know more $$ will be coming their way.
Sorry if this sounds cliche, or actually the acronym: [U][COLOR=Red]T[/COLOR]o [COLOR=Red]I[/COLOR]nsure [COLOR=Red]P[/COLOR]rompt [COLOR=Red]S[/COLOR]ervice.[/U]
[/B][B]Leaving your auto-tip on & not adjusting it, do you pre-tip your cabin steward?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe yes maybe no.. depends... we never adjust the auto tips they are well deserved

[quote name='T. Advisor King']Who knew I'd cause such a stir referring to a pre-tip as a "bribe". I think the passengers who "pre-tip" don't realize the quality of service they're getting is "normal". How can you always think you're getting "exceptional service". Doesn't it, by definition, have to be an "exception" (i.e., "rare" or "unusual") for it to be "exceptional"?

And I had to laugh when I saw the long list of "extras" you got for your pre-tip. How many of those were "extra fee" services? So your $50 pre-tip gave you the good fortune of being able to buck up another $60 for the pay-restaurant? And that's a good thing? That's a lot of extra sodas and chocolates to make that $110 worthwhile![/QUOTE]

He-he! I GUARANTEE the services I've received by pre-tipping are not your ordinary services.

Honestly folks, if you think you're getting great service then WOO-HOO! Good for you!

Ice cream is not always vanilla and the check isn't always in the mail.

What works for me works in almost all venues. England is a bit of an exception. But, hey, they talk funny anyway and drive on the wrong side. ;-)

If you don't want to....then don't. I think those that do and receive perks for doing it will agree that there is a certain, um, "savoir faire" involved here that not all can manage.

YMMV

[quote name='near the beach'][I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I have never seen a cruise ship with a pool for the employees only. On our last cruise I found that our cabin steward did not work 24 hours a day. I called him and was told he was not on duty. It was late at night. He told me to call room service. I did and all was fine. Do cabin stewards have an assistant? Do cabin stewards have an assistant? Do you tip them also? [/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/QUOTE]

Actually, it's more of a "hot tub" on the bow although not always heated. Activity below deck continues 24/7. Obviously the crew doesn't work 24/7 individually.

Nope. Tip one person - well.

In 26 cruises I have never tipped up front. I just don't get it. I think it is tacky. I have never had anything but stellar service. I ask that I have ice all the time and not much else. I ALWAYS tip additional to the recommended amount. Usually 30-40 bucks more, on a 7 day cruise. I like to leave the impression that Americams and kind and generous people.

[quote name='cruisenanny']Exactly!!!!! A good steward will do just about anything you ask, if he can.. Extra ice, chocolates, towels, ashtrays. Tips on ports, etc. etc... And a bad one (rare) isn't gonna do much extra no matter what.
IMHO, pre-tipping on top of the auto tips is one of three things.
The nicest one being just a generous heart giving a gift to someone they feel compassion for. These are the folks that feel sooo bad for the crew being away from their families, working long hours, etc.
The second reason is usually just a newbie misconception, based on things they have read or heard. They think they won't even get fresh towels if they don't pre-tip.
The third reason is the ROTTEN one & is a minor character/ego flaw. It pathetically screams "look at me, I am more important than the rest of the people you will take care of this week. Here is some money ahead of time, so please realize just how nice & special I really am. I want more than everyone else will get, give me things"
Just how I see it.[/QUOTE]

Some folks truly believe they've gotten some super special services due to pre-tipping. Maybe they have, or more likely they're deluding themselves. We've got friends who think throwing money at "the help" makes them get more than they're entitled to get otherwise. We've also seen the people they handed tips to roll their eyes as they walked away. Money may talk but it doesn't always say nice things about people.

I've gotten extra special things from cabin stewards, waiters, waitresses, housekeepers, etc., too. I asked nicely and said please. Funny how well that seems to work in my favor. My great Aunt used to say "Smiles are free. Be sure to give away at least one each day".

[quote name='Starzend'][B]Does this website have
an ignore feature?????[/B][/quote]

[quote name='Rockportgirl']Unfortunately, no.[/quote]

Of course it does, and it's very simple:

Click on "User CP"
On the left side of the page click on "Edit Ignore List"
Type in the name of the member you want to ignore and click "Okay"
(You will see a short note in place of any post by this member telling you that their post is not being shown because you are ignoring them).

By the second day, I like to give a $50 tip to the room steward, in addition to auto tips.

Why? I have no special requests, I'm easy to please. Forget soap, or refilling the ice, or miss my cabin entirely? Just doesn't matter. I give the tip because I enjoy doing it. That's all. Nothing else. They work hard, probably miss their families terribly while in Carnival's indentured servitude (err, employment, that is), and I recognize that very few people on this planet have the good fortune to take a cruise once a year like I do.

I tip waitstaff, and anyone else that seems to deserve a special token for work well done.

[quote name='larkz']By the second day, I like to give a $50 tip to the room steward, in addition to auto tips.

Why? I have no special requests, I'm easy to please. Forget soap, or refilling the ice, or miss my cabin entirely? Just doesn't matter. I give the tip because I enjoy doing it. That's all. Nothing else. They work hard.[/QUOTE]

seems like an odd reason to tip. how it makes one feel is not a reason to tip. makes me think one would still tip someone that was doing their job poorly.

What's the deal with the ice all the time? Maybe you oughta tip up front so they make the bed or clean the bath too.
I tip all over the place but I've never tipped a cabbie, cocktail or food waiter or waitress, a shuttle driver, etc.....upfront.
I have however, waved money at and paid upfront the porters at the dock. Reason being, I realize that in that case I'm the one at their mercy.;)

I had a co-worker who told me that they tipped extra at the beginning of the cruise and they got good service from their room steward. I tried it once and felt that it was not worth the "investment." I just pre-pay my tips before I leave and don't worry about it.

[quote name='bythehex']Some folks truly believe they've gotten some super special services due to pre-tipping. Maybe they have, or more likely they're deluding themselves. [/QUOTE]

This is simply not true. Like I said previously, Justify not doing it however you like!

Those that reap the rewards for doing it will, obviously, not stop doing it. The rest will be stuck in line so it really doens't matter.

Like a "pre-tip" is any different than a "promised tip."

We didn't tip ahead of time but our steward on the Fantasy, Dwi, was excellent & told us if we needed anything to just let him know. We never did tell him anything specific but he did fill our ice bucket and cooler with ice without us having to ask, as well as other little things. DH made sure to personally give him a separate cash tip (aside from auto tips) on the last full day of the cruise.

[quote name='ib4cruzn']He-he! I GUARANTEE the services I've received by pre-tipping are not your ordinary services.

Honestly folks, if you think you're getting great service then WOO-HOO! Good for you!

Ice cream is not always vanilla and the check isn't always in the mail.

What works for me works in almost all venues. England is a bit of an exception. But, hey, they talk funny anyway and drive on the wrong side. ;-)

If you don't want to....then don't. I think those that do and receive perks for doing it will agree that there is a certain, um, "savoir faire" involved here that not all can manage.

YMMV[/quote]

Instead of waving money around to "induce" an employee to do a job well, you might want to try being polite and friendly and perhaps a bit humble. I find that staff are very happy about doing a good job for someone who treats them in a friendly manner with respect and dignity. I'm guessing that most posters on this thread might guess from the tone of your posts that the characteristics I mention above aren't in your usual repertoire.

[quote name='T. Advisor King']Instead of waving money around to "induce" an employee to do a job well, you might want to try being polite and friendly and perhaps a bit humble. I find that staff are very happy about doing a good job for someone who treats them in a friendly manner with respect and dignity. I'm guessing that most posters on this thread might guess from the tone of your posts that the characteristics I mention above aren't in your usual repertoire.[/QUOTE]

I am always polite, friendly and respectful. My job demands it.

It seems you are preaching to the choir.

I use my tools to attain what I desire. Never have I been disrespectful or condescending. All parties part company happy with what they've received.

If this bothers you to the point of having to denigrate another for your benefit, well, it DOES brighten my day a bit.

Cheers!

[quote name='T. Advisor King'][COLOR="Red"][B]Instead of waving money around to "induce" an employee to do a job well, you might want to try being polite and friendly and perhaps a bit humble. [/B][/COLOR] I find that staff are very happy about doing a good job for someone who treats them in a friendly manner with respect and dignity. [COLOR="red"][B]I'm guessing that most posters on this thread might guess from the tone of your posts that the characteristics I mention above aren't in your usual repertoire.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]Maybe he's from Chicago. ;)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Not this one. I didn't see him acting like that. [/COLOR]

[quote name='wannago35']We didn't tip ahead of time but our steward on the Fantasy, Dwi, was excellent & told us if we needed anything to just let him know. We never did tell him anything specific but he did fill our ice bucket and cooler with ice without us having to ask, as well as other little things. DH made sure to personally give him a separate cash tip (aside from auto tips) on the last full day of the cruise.[/QUOTE]

Our last steward was equally great, and she even saw that DH was ordering sodas from room service, so she left an extra six pack in our cooler, and charged us for whatever we used, so we didn't have to get them from room service any more. We were total balcony dwellers that cruise, and she made it all better. We tipped her well, but we did not give her a tip until the last day.

Out of all my cruises, I only did this once and it was the cruise where the service was barely acceptable.
I had a cooler and a six pack of soda, two bottles of tea and one water. I asked the steward to keep it filled with ice (in addition to the ice bucket). I gave him $10.
The first two days it was no problem. After that, no ice. I would drain the water and leave a note asking for extra ice. No extra ice :(. I also was charged for missing towel ( he removed them from the cabin the first day after I told him I wouldn't use them during the cruise).
This steward was really indifferent.
Now I always speak to my steward and others in the hallways. I'm not a messy person and don't make any demands.
I gave him an average review, he didn't exceed. I also normally write a thank you card and leave money in this and hand it to the steward before leaving the ship. This time I didn't.
As for my other cruises, the stewards all went above in service and I tip at least $20 and write a thank you card (I found that giving them a handwritten card thanking them often is really appreciated).
I guess it works better for some people than for others. If you feel that tipping at the start of the cruise gives you better service, go ahead.

[quote name='bythehex']. Money may talk but it doesn't always say nice things about people.

I've gotten extra special things from cabin stewards, waiters, waitresses, housekeepers, etc., too. I asked nicely and said please. Funny how well that seems to work in my favor. ".[/QUOTE]

I like that quote above. Not even in relation to this thread. I just like it. I have never tipped ahead and don't plan to. As far as extra ice, you can always call housekeeping/room service depending on the time of day and get more. Then just tip the person who brings it.

Archived