What a deal

carlo7

In my inbox today was an announcement from OC that I could trade my A1 cabin on the 10 day Regatta cruise leaving MIA on 11/20 for an "A" cabin on any one of 3 Marina cruises this fall, each of which include Athens as an embarkation or debarkation port. The value of the "A" Marina cabins listed on the OC website range from 1.83 to 2 times what we paid for the Regatta cruise. The offer is without cost to me. Although I am not interested one can see how far any cruise line will lower the price on a cabin when necessary.

In my inbox today was an announcement from OC that I could trade my A1 cabin on the 10 day Regatta cruise leaving MIA on 11/20 for an "A" cabin on any one of 3 Marina cruises this fall, each of which include Athens as an embarkation or debarkation port. The value of the "A" Marina cabins listed on the OC website range from 1.83 to 2 times what we paid for the Regatta cruise. The offer is without cost to me. Although I am not interested one can see how far any cruise line will lower the price on a cabin when necessary.

Do you see this as a lowering of the price on the cruises that you were offered, or as a method of shifting a booked passenger from a full cruise to a less full cruise?

Would this offer also include airfare? If so, then its value is even greater as any airfare to ATH would be significantly more than an airfare to MIA.

Maybe you should reconsider?

Do you see this as a lowering of the price on the cruises that you were offered, or as a method of shifting a booked passenger from a full cruise to a less full cruise?

I would guess the latter. What other benefit would there be to Oceania?

As other people here know, we recently accepted such an offer.

We were booked on the August 14th departure from Vancouver to SF (Alaska) which to this day is STILL very overbooked.

The bait was an upgrade to a VS on one of three European cruises in October for no more money plus another $200 in SBC. We took it because we had the opportunity to have a VS on Marina AND it was an itinerary that was largely new to us. We've done a lot of traveling over the years but we've done very little in the french and italian ports. So for us it's a win-win.

We get a fabulous cabin for half price.

And or us, changing dates isn't a big deal. Not everyone can take advantage of such an offer.

Since our Alaska cruise remains seriously oversold, I don't doubt the reason we received the offer.

Mura

Since we had booked our air ourselves we would have either lost that money or been charged to change dates on the roundtrip SEA to MIA. That was the main reason for passing. I also did not see the free air for the Marina itineraries we were offered. Finally SEA to MIA is many fewer hours in the air.

My thought on the reason for the offer is all the problems I have seen on this board regarding Greece. Made me wonder if people are canceling before final payment. Our Nov. cruise only shows A3 and PH cabins available now.

If they had offered a swap for Polynesia I would have been tempted.

That cruise is on the wish list.

If they had offered a swap for Polynesia I would have been tempted.

That cruise is on the wish list.

We're booked on the 11/30 Panama Canal cruise on Regatta, and received the same offers to change for the Med. It was tempting, since they offered an upgrade to a PH on Marina (we LOVED ours on the MV in January!), but since the Panama Canal is on our "bucket list" we were unswayed. However, if they offered a LA-Polynesia trade/out. . . .???

We're booked on the 11/30 Panama Canal cruise on Regatta, and received the same offers to change for the Med. It was tempting, since they offered an upgrade to a PH on Marina (we LOVED ours on the MV in January!), but since the Panama Canal is on our "bucket list" we were unswayed. However, if they offered a LA-Polynesia trade/out. . . .???

Not very likely.

They are offering Med cruises as "trade" for a good reason - all 4 of their ships will be in the Med next summer at some point - certainly in Europe.

Polynesia is a new itinerary and those tend to be popular first time around (except Alaska for some reason).

These are the types of deals I only wish I could take...

But, you really have to be flexible on scheduling...

With us, my wife works for the school district and, therefore, has little flexibility in vacation dates...and, with my job, I need to schedule my vacation time well in advance and arrange coverage...

So, when we book a cruise, the dates pretty much become immovable...

Then, there is another issue if you book your own flights rather than use Oceania's air...You may have nonrefundable tickets...or pay a large penalty...

In any event, even if offered that type of deal, we likely would not be able to ever take it...not until we are retired someday...but, for us, that's probably about another ten years out now...

OTOH, if I had a cruise booked that wasn't something I'd "Always dreamed about"...and the cruise line offered something that fit into my schedule for a more distant future date...and maybe I could just find another cruise somewhere, maybe even on another line to fit those vacation dates...

Polynesia is a new itinerary and those tend to be popular first time around (except Alaska for some reason).

Alaska's summer sailings ARE popular.

Mura wrote:

"We were booked on the August 14th departure from Vancouver to SF (Alaska) which to this day is STILL very overbooked.

The bait was an upgrade to a VS on one of three European cruises in October for no more money plus another $200 in SBC. We took it because we had the opportunity to have a VS on Marina AND it was an itinerary that was largely new to us. We've done a lot of traveling over the years but we've done very little in the french and italian ports. So for us it's a win-win.

We get a fabulous cabin for half price.

And or us, changing dates isn't a big deal. Not everyone can take advantage of such an offer.

Since our Alaska cruise remains seriously oversold, I don't doubt the reason we received the offer."

While it is true that the August 14th departure ended up being seriously oversold (I guess because of all the enticements that were put out by O), I don't think that was common with the other Alaska sailings.

I remember that 5-6 months ago they were taking about how empty all the sail dates were.

While it is true that the August 14th departure ended up being seriously oversold (I guess because of all the enticements that were put out by O), I don't think that was common with the other Alaska sailings.

I remember that 5-6 months ago they were taking about how empty all the sail dates were.

We were on the first Alaska cruise in May and it was fully booked.

Then it sounds like O was successful in enticing people onto the Alaska sailings even though initially there was lots of space.

But isn't it true they aren't planning on going back? At least not next year?

Mura

I think a fair assessment of Alaska cruises would be as follows:

They did not book, in general, as well as expected. As the result of this, multiple incentives/discounts/OBCs, etc were offered. Eventually they did book up - some more than others (as the result of these incentives and at lower prices/profit margin than Oceania would have liked).

However, the fact that Oceania is not offering these next season (if ever) is evidence enough to me that this was not as successful as they hoped for.

I believe FDR said as much to a fellow cruiser while he was onboard Marina this spring.

Not very likely.

They are offering Med cruises as "trade" for a good reason - all 4 of their ships will be in the Med next summer at some point - certainly in Europe.

Actually some of them are, but the Dec.16th LA -Papeete cruise has had drastic price cuts since it was introduced. As an example a B1 when it was announced was 7699, now it is 6199. That's 3 grand of savings for a couple. I think it's starting to move at that price.

On the other hand the return trip which has the same number of days and the same stops, which we are booked on, hasn't budged. The only difference is the time of year and that it ends in San Francisco.

Not very likely.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh, Paul. You just ruined my fantasy:(.

I'm happy with my Panama Canal adventure though, so no damage done:D.

Have a good weekend all!:)

Kay

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh, Paul. You just ruined my fantasy:(.

Kay

Don't give up hope just yet :)

According to ORV (above) the LA - PPT segment is not selling well (and has gone down in price :D)

We're off to the "LANDS" cruise tomorrow - NewfoundLAND, GreenLAND, IceLAND, ShetLAND, ScotLAND, EngLAND - see you all in a month ;)

According to ORV (above) the LA - PPT segment is not selling well (and has gone down in price :D)

We're off to the "LANDS" cruise tomorrow - NewfoundLAND, GreenLAND, IceLAND, ShetLAND, ScotLAND, EngLAND - see you all in a month ;)

Have a wonderful cruise! :D

Enjoy the trip

All the best to Marsha

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

Archived