Explorer or Oasis?

Do you think the Explorer would be a big step down from the Oasis? It sounds as though there is plenty to do on EX and except for the flowrider and the carousel, it is pretty much the same although on a smaller scale. Price-wise, the 9-night out of Bayonne and the 7-night FLL are very similar after factoring in transfers and air. I have read so many posts stating that the Explorer is getting tired and needs some updates. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Do you think the Explorer would be a big step down from the Oasis? It sounds as though there is plenty to do on EX and except for the flowrider and the carousel, it is pretty much the same although on a smaller scale. Price-wise, the 9-night out of Bayonne and the 7-night FLL are very similar after factoring in transfers and air. I have read so many posts stating that the Explorer is getting tired and needs some updates. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Go on the Oasis and stay out of Bayonne!

Did the Explorer in 2009 and 2011, and will do it again.

Loved the 9 days, loved the ship, and LOVED not flying to a port.

I loved our trip on Explorer and thought there was plenty to do. I didn't think the Explorer was in bad shape and I had been on Navigator a few months before and didn't see much of a difference. Although Explorer doesn't have a Chops, our dinner at Portofino was amazing and I liked having the Weekend Warrior Sports Bar. The staff was extremely friendly and since we have never been on one of the ships with the Flow Rider, we didn't miss it...plus, nothing like the convenience of not having to fly and check bags!

It sounds as though there is plenty to do on EX and except for the flowrider and the carousel, it is pretty much the same although on a smaller scale.

Not true...there is a big difference. Do the Oasis.

Not true...there is a big difference. Do the Oasis.

Sure there is.

If you want high diving shows, a carousel, 6,000 passengers, zip line, flow rider, etc. then the Oasis is definately the way to go.

However, some people, myself included, do not care for the above. I love the ability to drive to port, the extra two days, and the Explorer.

Matter of what is of importance to the individual.

We sailed on Explorer to Bermuda several weeks ago and had a very enjoyable time and didn't lack for things to do. However, the Oasis experience is something else altogether and, to my mind at least, well worth the difference in price for all that she has to offer. You should not be disappointed with Explorer, even given the differences in the cruise terminal arrangements in Bayonne and Port Everglades, but I think you will be blown away by all that Oasis has to offer.

Actually, since you have already done the Liberty and Freedom, the Explorer is very similar. The main differences are the lack of a Flowrider, Sorrento's and the glass balconies. Now, you can compare that experience with Oasis.

We did the Oasis and enjoyed it, but the Freedom class is definitely my favorite. The 9-night itinerary on the Explorer is really great and if you don't have to fly, my choice would be the Explorer. (In fact, we made this choice for our last cruise and the upcoming one.)

However, with that being said, we have already done Oasis. You may want to give it a try.

Have sailed both and will be in the minority saying this, but I preferred Explorer. She is magnificent, with a courteous and hard working crew. Oasis was too big for me, couldn't "see the sea", just too crowded, crew seemed a bit frazzled and over-worked. Embarkation at Port Everglades was fabulous, but I have absolutely no complaints about leaving from Bayonne.

Also, given the opportunity for a 9 night, heck yes! On a 7 night, they are already preparing you for disembarkation on Day 4. :( Quite the drag.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hello,

We have sailed both (Oasis once and Explorer twice). We live in Delaware so Bayonne is quite convenient for us, however we have sailed from FLL 4 times and enjoyed that also.

I think both ships have a lot to offer and tons of things to do so I do not think you will have a shortage of activities on either ship.

Getting on and off the ships at both ports were the same for us. The first time on the Explorer we waited in the Ice rink which was cold so now we wait in a lounge or the main theater. The actual port building in Fort Lauderdale is nicer, but we were not in the building long enough to care about that.

The Oasis has some unique features with the flow rider, zip line and my favorite Central Park with the roast beef sandwiches. The ship is large, but with so many of the areas of the ship, we did not think we waited too long for anything. The one exception is we waited until the last sea day to do the zip line so I would do that earlier in the week to avoid the line. We also enjoyed the scavenger hunt on the Oasis.

I thought the food was very comparable on both ships and the dining rooms beautiful. The artwork on both ships is wonderful.

Both ships have rock walls, mini golf, beautiful pools, lots of quiet out of the way places to enjoy.

I prefer the spa area on the Explorer to the Oasis just because of the views. The kids areas on both ships are well layed out.

Both have great shows, although the diving show on the Oasis is really amazing.

The free ice cream is in a better place for me on the Explorer than the Oasis.

I wish there was a different itinerary for the Oasis since I have been on those a few times. One of the cruises on the Explorer we went to New England and Canada and I loved that cruise.

I would not hesitate to sail either ship again as we loved both.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it is a big step down. There's no other ship in the market today that really compares to the Allure or Oasis.

In the end, a worthwhile vacation is your definition of fun, enjoyment, etc. I've cruised on smaller ships but still had a great time. It also helps to have cruising companions with a positive outlook, no matter the situation.

We sailed on the Mariner 3X (same class as explorer). I was reluctant to try the Allure this year because of the size. The ship was so large there was no more congestion than on the Mariner, The shows, food etc.. on the Allure were excellent so I would go for the Oasis class. I would not hestitate to book the Oasis class again and if you go try Giovannis table, it's excellent! :)

Explorer is one of my favorite ships...you still feel like you're on a ship and there's PLENTY to do!

And you still feel like you're on a ship with Oasis too. :rolleyes:

I would go with Oasis. IMHO the ship feels less crowded than any other RCI ship that I have cruised and both Oasis and Allure have had the best crew that I have ever experienced on any ship. We have now spent five weeks between the Oasis and Allure and IMHO there is nothing like them out there. While the Voyager class ships are nice, they cannot begin to compare with Oasis. Not even in the same league. Especially when it comes to entertainment and dining options.

With all that said, if itinerary is more important, go with the one that will suit you best. If you're going for the ship then Oasis is the way to go.

I have sailed both and loved both. Many more venues on Oasis but the Explorer has plenty to do as well. My suggestion is to plan to do both eventually and start off with whichever one is more convenient in terms of price/location/timing.

I do agree that Oasis/Allure are unique and a must do at some point. I would not want to cruise that class ALL of the time but it is something you should experience at least once. Thus if you are not planning to cruise again for a long time, I would go with Oasis.

Archived