paris - 6 hour layover what to do?

CCJack

Not sure if this is the right forum, but does anyone have any ideas what to do with a 6 hour layover in Paris (flying from Detroit to Venice to catch cruise). Is this enough time to leave the airport? Our layover begins about 11 am on a weekday. Any advice?

thanks.

We just returned from seeing Paris in May. While we were there we did a few walking tours with sight seekers delight dot com. They were incredible. Our friends, who came a week after us, also had the same situation as you do with a layover in Paris. They contacted karen at sight seekers delight and she did a "whirlwind tour" which included pick up from the airport, they toured the sites they most wanted to see, and even had time for a picnic somewhere before taking them back to the airport. Our friends were esctatic that they were able to experience this and got great pics. If you contact her let her know andrea says hello! Good luck with whatever you do. Paris is amazing as is Venice!!!! :)

Wow, as much as you might want to see Paris, I would never try it in a six hour window. Just to get into the city from CDG is 1 hour (it took us 2 hours in June), plus you have to return (another hour) and get back through security (that could be 2 hours). Of course all this assumes your plane landed on time (ours was 4 hours late in June). I guess you might get a drive-by of the Eiffel Tower and a few other sites but I would be a nervous wreck.

Kirk

6 hours is about the minimum... but if your flight lands on time and especially if you have never been in Paris, I would go for it.

There's a train that'll take you from the airport to right across from Notre Dame. Get out, walk around a bit, buy a crepe from a stand... it's truely magical. Then head back.

Of course, by leaving the airport, you take a risk. Things can always go wrong, trains can break down. A lot of people would be uncomfortable with any risk.

6 hours is about the minimum...

There's a train that'll take you from the airport to right across from Notre Dame. Get out, walk around a bit, buy a crepe from a stand... it's truely magical. Then head back.

I agree that six hours is an absolute minimum.

I also suggest you keep it simple: From CGD take RER B to Saint-Michel station located in the Latin Quarter on the Seine just across from Notre Dame. It's about a 45 minute trip each way.

You can visit Notre Dame, then enjoy lunch at one of the many sidewalk cafes before heading back to CDG. Any more than this would be pushing your luck.

Lew

Archived