Teen Drinking

I am considering taking my daughter and a couple of her friends on the Navigator of the Seas next March for Spring Break. What are the drinking rules for teenagers? I have heard the drinks flow pretty loosely and that even if my daughter is not allowed to drink, that other boys are always standing around trying to buy the younger girls drinks. btw, my daughter and friends will be 17 at that time.

Also, has anyone heard about bad things (rape, mickeys in drinks, etc...) happening to young girls given freedom to roam and stay up late on a cruise? I guess hanging at the teen disco mainly. How late is the teen disco open?

Drinking age for beer and wine is 18. They will not be able to purchase their own drinks because their seapass cards will designate them as minors without prvileges. Can someone else buy them a drink - absoutely.

We were recently dinner companions with some 18-year-old spring breakers - when they ordered wine at dinner, only the person ordering was carded. They were also served complimentary liquor at the Captain's reception on formal night without being carded at all.

And yes - any precautions you would recommend to your daughters on land apply at sea.

Last year on the Brilliance, I noticed some "young un's" , approx.

15 - 16 years old on the first row of loungers by the pool with a big bag between two of them. The kept ordering cokes and the pouring from a 1.75 liter bottle of bourbon in their bag. It only took until the second round of "cokes" that the server noticed the bottle, called over security and in a second the bottle was confiscated. As for letting them roam the ship at night, I would make sure they stay in groups, not to wander around alone and check back frequently. Also, I would have a curfew of no later than 1:00 - 2:00. Look at a cruise ship as a small city, with all the temptations right out there in the open. Make sure they know that all priveledges will be taken away if they voilate the basic rules you lay down. The first of which should be to never enter anyone elses cabin. Show them some trust, but keep an eye on them. It's going to be spring break and those hormones will be raging.

Stretch

I have not heard any negative things but you and I know stuff happens. We just have to hope :eek: none of that happens to ours. We are taking our 18 and 15 y old daughters for a cruise 5/29. I can't be the police forever, but want a safe environment nonetheless.

I have not heard any negative things but you and I know stuff happens. We just have to hope :eek: none of that happens to ours. We are taking our 18 and 15 y old daughters for a cruise 5/29. I can't be the police forever, but want a safe environment nonetheless.

As long as they exercise plain old common sense and a little restraint to temptation you won't have a problem. But all it takes is a couple of ringleaders to start things in the wrong direction.

Stretch

I wanted to add one more thing, IMHO there is really nothing for teens to do after around 1:00 in the morning, other than possibly getting bored.

Stretch

I think that depends. For someone like grantweb's (who's icon I adore by the way :D ) 18 year-old, I know that on my last cruise (albeit on Carnival), I was in the disco until 2:30 (my curfew) every night, and was never bored. (I was 18 at the time, and still am actually)

And actually, there are plenty of thinks for teens 17 and under to after 1 am without getting bored. The thing is, I'm not sure those are the kind of things you would be wanting your children to be doing, if you get what I mean ;)

To answer the OP's question: Yes, I'm sure the girls will be able to get alcohol if they are dead set on it, and if they're attractive girls, it will be pretty darn easy (sad how our world works, huh?)... I will however warn you that I've had MANY MANY men offer to buy me drinks (which I don't accept from people I don't know because I do not like to feel like I owe men something, that leads to trouble), and later saw these men giving alcohol to underage girls and taking them back to their rooms. It's sad, and you need to make sure to warn the girls, because it DOES happen. Also remember, the crew is away from family/girlfriends for months at a time, and sometimes they dont think rationally when it comes to girls on board (TRUST me on that one). So basically, I'd be honest with the girls. Tell them that they will be able to get alcohol if they choose (I am going to assume you're not against it from how you worded your post), but I would just warn them that vacation is not fun when you wake up the next day in some man you don't knows room and have no idea what happened the night before. I know thats extreme, but it happens...

Good luck, and have a great cruise :D

The "rules" say that 18 yr olds can drink wine and beer, but when my 18 yo daughter and her 18 yr old friend were with us on our last cruise, they were served whatever they wanted by a few of the bartenders. What was more disturbing to me was that the cruise director and assistant cruise director were drinking WITH them! I didn't know about that until we were home and I saw her photos. :eek:

We also saw several large groups of younger teens, obviously either drunk or high (or both), roaming the decks at night. Combine that with the "pack mentality" that teens tend to get, and it was pretty rowdy! I really think the ships need a security force....and I mean MORE than the cleaning crew!

Thankfully, nothing bad happened to my daughter and her friend (except for a couple of nasty hangovers), but I wish I hadn't been so trusting.

Archived