Smoking ?

phillipahain

Have been really looking at the Seabourn site today, nearly all the virtuals, and came across this, do not want to start another set to but very interesting

For the comfort of all guests, most public areas on board are smoke-free. Cigarette smoking is permitted in the following areas:

• Observation Bar/Lounge – On the starboard side (except during coffee and tea service hours)
  • Sky Bar – At the bar and starboard side deck area (except during Sky Grill food service on Seabourn Pride, Spirit & Legend)
  • Seabourn Square Terrace and Club Terrace – on the starboard side deck area

Guests are asked to refrain from smoking pipes and cigars anywhere inside the ship, including in guest suites, on verandas and balconies. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on open decks (Seabourn Pride, Spirit & Legend) and only on the starboard side deck area of Seabourn Square Terrace on Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn & Quest.

Thought the part I have bolded interesting considering many of the posts re cigars. I certainly will be including a copy of this in my luggage.

It was the cigar and pipe smoking on open deck (not cigarette) that was a problem on our recent Odyssey cruise. The smokers were in their allotted section of the deck. Sadly, nobody told the smoke which proceeded to drift into the 'smoke free' areas.

It was the cigar and pipe smoking on open deck (not cigarette) that was a problem on our recent Odyssey cruise. The smokers were in their allotted section of the deck. Sadly, nobody told the smoke which proceeded to drift into the 'smoke free' areas.

Alas some pax have had cigars on the balcony next to them,so thought I would point them to this. You are so right about smoke drifting can't eat outside in a cafe/resturant these days as the smokers have the "fresh" air seats

That was a very different time in our society. You are going back about 15+ years and things have greatly changed.

Not to mention, they never once changed the itinerary on Paradise. The ship sailed the same route over and over again.

Thanks, Menelaus, for the info. that no pipes or cigars are allowed in suites or verandas. I now know that if someone in a nearby suite infringes this rule (and assuming we can smell it on our veranda) I can just go to the Hotel Manager and ask for him to let them know the rules. Without a possible argument with the pasenger.

HI--

My husband and I are smokers, and we're careful to observe and obey no smoking rules. I do agree that as on Crystal, designating 3 smoking tables at the end of a lounge is like trying to chlorinate one end of a pool!

Ellie and Dick

There are no inside suites on Seabourn. If you are worried about smokers on balconies near you, the three smaller ships have only Juliet balconies and the three larger have suites without verandas.

Winnie

When I sailed Legend, I booked the most forward 'Juliet' balcony to ensure I was upwind of any potential smokers. It was a good move. Never had any issues with smoke. Within the ship, it was a little hit and miss but generally not a problem - and I'm very sensitive to smoke. I agree most a number of posters that it is perplexing that smoking is still allowed, period.

Thanks, Menelaus, for the info. that no pipes or cigars are allowed in suites or verandas. I now know that if someone in a nearby suite infringes this rule (and assuming we can smell it on our veranda) I can just go to the Hotel Manager and ask for him to let them know the rules. Without a possible argument with the pasenger.

Incorrect.

"Guests are asked to REFRAIN" doesn't translate to not allowed.

Natives of India are asked to refrain from public urination and the Chinese from spitting in public areas...alas, it continues unabated.

To a much tinier degree, pipe and more so cigar smoking, can and does occur in suites and verandas.

A "NOT ALLOWED" policy with enforcement and penalties would be the logical solution, as for example, USA car rental companies charge about a $250 if they determine smoking took place in a designated non-smoking vehicle.

Refrain policies have no teeth.

MarianH - I think from Erex's posts you can see that smokers indulge in a bit of wishful thinking - he seemed to think that from 25 to 50% on board would quite likely be smokers. I suppose it is understandable that some smokers feel they have to be almost aggressive in their attitude, knowing that most will not be too happy with them.

Wishfull thinking???

The numbers I was using are not wrong. And if the guests at Seabourn was a representative of a country, they would probably be correct for Seabourn ships also.

Where I was wrong, was that I did not take in consideration that most people on Seabourn is highly educated and I had not bothered to check the number of smokers based on education level, only on country level.

Cheers, Atle

I think the idea of a room for smokers (like on Silversea) would be a wonderful addition to the SB experience. We were just on Spirit in February and the SKY Bar area was unpleasant for most of the afternoon/sunset happy hours, even though most of the smokers were smoking "legally". And- I agree with the comments on the Observation Lounge and drifting smoke. We are booked on Sojourn for a July cruise and I am spending the extra money for a balcony- and do hope I can enjoy it (smoke free). I had heard about the Princess fire- but I was amazed by the horrible pictures of the burned balconies on the video- and really surprised that some cruise ships (especially SB) still allow smoking on balconies after that fire. What will it take?

K

What amazes me is those who forget that you can not escape the smokers at sea. Just where is one supposed to go when in the middle of the ..... Ocean? You can't exactly go for a walk, or go somewhere else, can you? And it's not a whole lot better on Seabourn's smaller ships, is it? Oceania's policy (I have done many cruises with them) works perfectly well. The smokers can congregate and have their smoke together in one spot, with minimal interference to their non smoking passengers.

Why am I on this board then? Because I was really interested and looking forward to booking a 33 night cruise on the Pride this coming December, but the thought of dealing with the issue of 2nd hand smoke coming from all directions, plus the apparent continual age related problems to do with the ship...well, who needs to be bothered with all that when the point of the vacation is to relax and escape problems?

I don't know what it will take to get Seabourn to change their policy, but hopefully somebody is listening and reading these boards.

We just left Odyssey this morning after a 26 day cruise from Sydney to Los Angeles. While the cruise was excellent in most respects, for the first time in five Seabourn cruises, smoking was a problem.

First, our neighbours smoked heavily. You could sometimes smell the smoke when we were on our Verandah and we could often smell it in the hall and especially if their door was open. I must emphasise that we could not smell their smoke when we were in our suite. But the Verandah is also 'our space' and smoke is no respecter of privacy.

Second, we had a couple of pipe smokers and cigar smokers on-board. They liked to smoke on deck behind Seabourn Square (deck 7) where, under current Seabourn rules, they were perfectly entitled to smoke. Unfortunately, and again, smoke is no respecter of boundaries and, depending on the wind, the whole of the deck was permeated with the smell of their pipes and/or cigars. On a couple of occasions, the smell even reached up to the Colonnade.

The smoking 'club' liked to congregate up on deck 9 next to the Sky Bar. I did not find that to be a problem. Neither did I find smoking in the Observation Bar to be a problem.

My guesstimate is that smokers made up somewhere between 5% and 10% of the passengers. It is a shame that such a small number can inconvenience 90% of the other guests. In my view Seabourn needs to be more restrictive in its smoking policy.

1. No smoking in suites or on verandas.

2. No cigars or pipes.

3. No smoking indoors (i.e. Observation Bar) unless Seabourn chooses to create a 'smoking room' such as is found on Silversea and Regent.

Yes! Agreed!

Archived