Smoking ?

phillipahain

Jane

There were three or four ladies in brightly coloured saris in the water, some threshing their wet laundry against the sides of the pool, a few children running around and others drying clothes by laying them out on the sun loungers. I wish I'd had my camera, but I 'caught the action' on my way back from breakfast. Most of the staff thought it was very funny. They were probably enjoying watching the management running around desperately trying to maintain some dignity.

Yes.. I shared a train carriage from Madrid to Seville with an elderly couple and their goat... that was in the '60s too! In fact 1969, around the time of the moon landing - talk about different worlds!

Basically some cultures like South Americans and Asians are traditionally heavy smokers and tend to be noisy

Asians too are often heavy smokers and tend to like to get together on large tables for meals and are pretty voiciferous

They also like to play majong which is not a quiet game

Spread about between various lines its not too bad unless you are unlucky and are in next cabin /balcony as we have experienced but with more and more cruise lines restricting smoking its likely Seabourn will be a magnet

so much depends on what you want from a cruise and what you can deal with

I feel physically sick if smoke wafts in my direction and certainly could not think of going into Observation Bar the way things are so until Seabourn change policy i will reluctantly go elsewhere

On our Hong Kong to Singapore trip we had very few smokers and they weren't Asian or South American in origin. In fact the few Japanese and Chinese family groups were lovely.

They especially seemed to really have a great time dancing, as we all did, at the Rock The Boat Party. That is such a fun night that Seabourn puts on.

Julie

"An anti smoking and racist thread!!"

Yes! It is anti-smoking for all the obvious reasons. Lets start with the health of your fellow passengers. Some of whom are asmatic, have other respatory problems, or just don't want to inhale your smoke. If I pay $14k plus and my spouse and I can't enjoy our veranda or the Observation Lounge, you are damn right I am anti-smoking. What gives you the right to ruin my vacation?

At some point, sooner rather than later, Carnival and Seabourn's CEO is going to have to face this issue. All of Carnival's lines have taken the right steps, except Seabourn. Why is Seabourn silent? It is time for SB management to put on their big boy panties and address this issue publically. Ignoring the issue only fosters more angst & venom. And cancelled cruises.

Racist? That's taking the PC route way too far....

About 13 years ago I was on a 2 week Caronia (Cunard Line) cruise in the Baltic. The first week was quiet. The second week saw the addition of about 150 or so Indians, mainly men, who had won the trip as an incentive from their employer for selling white goods in India. They were loud and in groups everywhere, and especially liked to congregate for some reason in lobbies near the elevators. They had their own section of the dining room where they had their own buffet food. Some of the clusters of men liked to take trays of food into their cabins and demanded the stewardesses clear up (which they refused to do), and touched them up. With all the smoking and mess they made, I remember thinking how glad I was that I had only a week with them!

When I returned home I immediately wrote a letter of complaint to Cunard's Southampton office outlining what I had seen. And I received quickly a letter that said they were surprised to hear "racist" comments. But then a couple of weeks later by which time Southampton had received the ship's own officers' report Cunard acknowledged that everything I had stated was true: sexual assault, rubbish, and smoking everywhere. Of course, it was too late to make amends to the rest of us who had paid for our cruise but Cunard said that they would "take care of me" on my next QE2 voyage- a throwaway line if I ever saw one!

The lesson I learned is that you might as well make yourself heard and let the bystanders, in this case the shipping line's land-side office staff, say what they want. Racist? I would call it being clear, and let the evidence speak for itself when it rolls in from other sources. Then it's not racist as it turns into fact. Then if the shipping line decides to ignore the problem, well, it's to their detriment as it will be publicized. Just like this ongoing saga of why Seabourn still allows smoking in the Observation Bar to the detriment of its passengers and crew. They will only be able to ignore the facts about health risks in indoor ship spaces for so long.

Anyone who gets that physically sick from smoke should really avoid any vacation where the possibility of smoke exists. This leaves out pretty much all cruise lines because even on Regent and Oceania which has more restrictIve non smoking policies it is impossible to know for certain that no smoke will waft your way at any time in any place.

Wripro,

I am disappointed that you have taken this arbitrary and slightly cynical position. Surely the thinkers among us can do better than side-step the smoking issue.

No, hiding under the mattress is not the answer nor is advocating that others do so. Since the Enlightenment of Western Europe we have analyzed issues involving science and health (among other shared issues) and resolved them through common sense steps. In this case a ban on smoking in more areas of Seabourn ships would deliver the result that the science demands: No to carcinogens in the air we breathe and Yes to regulations that improve the status quo. We can start with the Observation Bar. And why not do so, anyway?

Such a ban is not hard to imagine either. Even in your state/province and country, I am sure that smoking bans in bars and restaurants have been effected and are effective. Why not get out of the kitchen, check it out and you will see for yourself? Empirical evidence wins hands down over excuses, Wripro. Believe me, it's for the best.

Since i have not experienced any problem on the smoking restricted lines like Regent, Oceania i object to being told to stay home ...........the whole reason i wanted to do Seabourn Black Sea cruise ( until i found out about the smoking on balconies and Observation bar was precisely the time of year it sails which is not matched elsewhere

However my health comes first and if i cant enjoy the balcony or a drink in Observation bar without being subjected to others smoking then Seabourn has lost my business and it wont only be mine

Since we are on the subject, how does everyone feel about "vaping". I have not had a "real" cigarette since Jan. 8, 2011. (Drumroll, please!)

However, since I smoked for too many years, I still need to have something in my hand and to stick in my mouth when I drink. Plus, I have not gained a pound since I quit by using this.

I use a device that emits vapor. No smell, no tar or nicotine. No carcinogens of any kind. The only thing you will see is vapor coming out of my mouth. (Think tea kettle). One of my friends has asthma and if I vape when I am with her, she is fine.

I have not had any problems in any hotels, restaurants, or cocktail lounges.

Feedback please. Thank you.

Goldens4,

If I had a drum I would celebrate your use of this new product with a fanfare worthy of your stamina and courage. It sounds as if you are really on top of things! Congratulations.

Wripro, do you vape? If not, I bet it would help you learn that there are answers to the challenges cigarette smoking poses to those of us- including Goldens4 now- who take their health and that of others seriously. Just nod my way and I will see what Phillipahain and I can do for you.

Finally, it seems that Seabourn has a lot to learn too- from Regent and Oceania. They seem to get it.

Happy sailing!

Wripro makes the perfectly valid point that it is impossible to totally avoid cigarette smoke on any cruise line, luxury or otherwise. Indeed, it is impossible to avoid most times you venture out your front door.

Most of my cruises have been on Regent and I was certainly aware of cigarette smoke in some places on each cruise. In reality, I was no more aware of it on Seabourn Spirit earlier this year.

I guess it is possible for some governing authority to force cruise lines to become non-smoking as they have forced land based restaurants, bars, public transport, offices etc. Ships are nothing special but probably harder to administer.

Until that happens cruise lines will make their own economic decisions as to the extent they allow smoking if at all. Maybe a few crew members suing their employer for being put in an unsafe or unhealthy work environment may have a salutory effect?

Clearly, and to my knowledge no one has totally banned it and survived, it will go on for a while longer. The worrying thing to me is that as Seabourn has one of the most liberal policies, it will attract more smokers and therefore become more economically dependent on them. In these hard times I do not see anyone rushing to give up a segment of the market.

As an ex-smoker ( quit in 1999), I really do resent having second hand tobacco smoke blown in my face. They say that ex-smokers are amongst the least tolerant and most voiciferous anti-smokers.

However, it's a fact of life that cigarette smoke is hard to avoid when one is out and about. For that matter, exhaust fumes from cars are equally dangerous to health and equally abhorent. For this reason, and other environmental concerns, I do not drive and do not own a car. It would be ridiculous of me to argue that cars should be banned, and it is another fact of life that I do depend on motor transport and have to take buses and taxis. So be it. Thats the way of the world. I do harbour a small and probably rather unfair disddain towards people who bleat on about cigarette smoke, yet themselves drive cars without a thought in the world to the damage they are causing others.

Having said all that I have to say that while there were a few smokers on the Legend when we sailed, they were hardly ever a problem.It is easy to position oneself downwind and the balcony question is not an issue with small sister's non-balconies. However I did find it unreasonable to have smokers in the OBSERVATION LOUNGE. Although it is a guideline that smoking should not take place when food is being served, this was not enforced, so while we were having afternoon tea there were people smoking away in one corner. Otherwise I say live and let live.

And anyway, smokers are a dying breed.

Markham, you misinterpreted my post while Turtlemichael understood me perfectly. What I was saying is that if I were subject to severe physical illness at the mere presence of any wisp of smoke no cruise would be worth risking my health for. I wouldn't even be on these boards looking at any cruises because my health would deter me from considering being in any public place where such a danger to me exists. It had nothing to do with strategies regarding changing cruise lines' smoking policies. And no matter how restrictive a cruise line's smoking policy became I would always be worried that some transgressor would cause me to suffer physically. Not worth it imo.

We will be on the Legend in 2 weeks.Honestly I hate smoking.I worked in the dental field for 25 years I saw what smoking does.All I ask is for smokers to be couteous .Do not get upset when or if I say anything.I will move away from you I want to live.

Please SB get your act together we love SB but not your smoking policy.This will be our last SB cruise because of this issue.

merryecho, this has been asked numerous times. The reason that cruise lines do not have separate smoking/non-smoking suites is that it would be too difficult for them to gauge the # of suites in each category per cruise bookings. Plus, they are concerned if they want to designate a certain deck as smoking, the nons would want suites (because they are their favorite locations) on these decks. My response, give it a try. You may see people be more flexible than they thought. Just my opinion and thoughts and the reasons I have heard.

Just returned from a SB cruise- everything was perfect except that our room smelled like an old ashtray. If they are going to allow smoking, can't they at least have non smoking cabins?

Were you on the Quest? I'm a little nervous because we're sailing on the Quest out of Athens on the 22nd. What cabin were you in? I have asthma and requested a deep cleaning of our room -- don't know if that will make a difference.

Smoking isn't annoying, it's deadly. I wish more cruise lines would have an enclosed smoking/cigar bar for guests, but allow the rest of us to have a smoke-free cruise.

Thank you, markham for your kind words and encouragement. Please stay safe in the UK. I do hope that you enjoy the hunt and have a couple of firearms at your disposal. No excuse for the thugs that are ruining your city.

. My response, give it a try. You may see people be more flexible than they thought. Just my opinion and thoughts and the reasons I have heard.

:confused: Give what a try?

Merryecho has just disembarked and clearly reported that their "room smelld like an old ashtay"

That should not be acceptable.

Archived