Fred. Olsen Charter Flights

Parsman

Hi all,

I have just spoken to Fred on the phone and they gave me the following flight information:-

Pullmantur Air

Depart Gatwick South Terminal at 21:00 hrs on the 8th March*

Arrive Rio de Janeiro at 05:50 hrs on the 9th March*

* Note change of flight date (which brings it in line with my original invoice!)

The operative could not give me the flight number or tell me what Fred will do with us between exiting the Airport and joining the ship.

HOWEVER, I would urge everybody to check for themselves to confirm this flight applies to them.

Cheers, Geoff

Hi Toby2,

At least a night flight on the 8th March will ensure that we will be in time for our Rio excursions on the 10th March (we are doing the RIO/A 'Panoramic Rio & Corcovado' tour).

On leaving the Airport on the early morning of the 9th March, I am assuming that Fred will take us on a coach tour of Rio, or something similar, until we are able to check-in to the ship. However, after the way we were treated in December 2008 ('Balmoral' Christmas Markets cruise), they may well not. Let us hope that they have learnt from their mistakes!

Cheers, Geoff :):):)

Hi Geoff

TA has advised that flight will "most probably" be the one you are booked on i.e. 8th March 21.00 hrs. HOWEVER this is not definate and I must phone again next week as the time is not confirmed. What a fiasco!!!

We are also booked on tour RIO/A. I believe the distance from airport to ship is about 15 miles and should take approx. 30 minutes. Can't expect the cabins to be ready so early so a tour around would be fine.

I believe Pullmantur weight limit for baggage is 20kgs. However, the BA flight from Heathrow allows 23 kgs. If correct, another reason not to book with FO.

Will post with any further info.

Hi Toby2,

I was told that Fred's Pullmantur flights have a checked weight limit for luggage of 25kg per person (which would be handy for a cruise) - not sure what the hand luggage limit is. I was also told that all drinks are complimentary, which would help me sleep on an overnight flight! Onboard food is also supposed to be better than other airlines.

We shall see!!!

Good luck with your enquiries on Monday.

Cheers, Geoff

Hi Geoff

TA has advised that flight will "most probably" be the one you are booked on i.e. 8th March 21.00 hrs. HOWEVER this is not definate and I must phone again next week as the time is not confirmed. What a fiasco!!!

We are also booked on tour RIO/A. I believe the distance from airport to ship is about 15 miles and should take approx. 30 minutes. Can't expect the cabins to be ready so early so a tour around would be fine.

I believe Pullmantur weight limit for baggage is 20kgs. However, the BA flight from Heathrow allows 23 kgs. If correct, another reason not to book with FO.

Will post with any further info.

Why are you getting so worked up -you are not flying for 5weeks. Calm down. BTW when you fly with Fred's charter you have 25kg luggage, not the airline's restriction. :)

Hi Geoff

Have just phoned TA and they confirm our flight as the same as you. I forgot to ask about the baggage allowance. Did you by any chance ask about this?

To say that I am looking forward to a very large G+T is an understatement. Hope we get to meet up and have a laugh about all this!

Hi Toby2,

Fred Olsen's charter aircraft (in this case Pullmantur) have a generous checked luggage allowance of 25kg per person. You are not restricted to a single suitcase each, but no single suitcase must weigh more than 23kg.

Carry-on luggage is restricted to 5kg per person. I have not been able to establish if handbags, laptop cases and cameras can be taken on in addition to the 5kg - I will have to ask Fred.

Hope that this is useful.

Cheers, Geoff

Hi Toby2,

Fred Olsen's charter aircraft (in this case Pullmantur) have a generous checked luggage allowance of 25kg per person. You are not restricted to a single suitcase each, but no single suitcase must weigh more than 23kg.

Carry-on luggage is restricted to 5kg per person. I have not been able to establish if handbags, laptop cases and cameras can be taken on in addition to the 5kg - I will have to ask Fred.

Hope that this is useful.

Cheers, Geoff

Hi Geoff

Many thanks. Have had confirmation today from FO. Letter says "hand luggage allowance is 5kg to include handbags, laptops etc."

Hello, I looked in here at the beginning of December and no one appeared to be flying from Gatwick to Rio. So glad we aren't the only ones.:)

Like you, we have been constantly trying to obtain information from FO and our TA with regard to flight timings, but today we received our letter with the information, which is the same as yours.

Unfortunately, from the start we were told that the flight departed on the 9th March and they thought it would be in the morning, so we booked and paid for overnight accommodation. We will lose this money and FO aren't prepared to reimburse us (apparently it is in the small print):mad:

This is our first cruise with FO and our 18th in total and we have never before had to wait as long as this for such important information. The information has usually been available when we booked.

We also have booked and paid for our train tickets to Gatwick but fortunately they appear to be suitable - more luck then judgement.

We also received confirmation today that we have tickets for the Rio A and the Maica Lake cruise so I am getting excited now.:)

I am also searching for ultra lightweight hand luggage as I want to take my laptop and cameras. My laptop weighs 2.5 kg out of its carrying case, so I am going to struggle. I feel this allowance is a bit tight and I would not put my laptop or cameras in the suitcase. How do others organise their laptops etc. or is mine particularly heavy?

I am sure I shall work something out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just returned from Rio de Janeiro on the Pulmantur Air charter flight and I must say that this flight and the Gatwick / Montego Bay flights were some of the best charter flights I have taken. I was in a premium ( business class) seat on the top deck of the Boeing 747-400 with spacious, comfortable seats, good food and plenty of free drinks. A great way to start and end a cruise.

Although nowhere near scheduled flight accommodation it was a great step forward.

I forgive FOCL on the problems we had in seeking information on the return flight!

Archived