Coffee

FlotsamJetsam

We were on the Solstice last November and it was so strong we could not even drink it and that was room service every morning.

We go again in November to the Mediterrean so hope it has gotten better.

Then when you are in Europe it probably isn't brewed coffee either so will have to wait to get my Dunkin Donuts coffee when we get back to the good old USA.

I don't like expresso coffee so probably will not get any on the shore excursions either.

Will probably get it in the buffet.

This is a bit funny, because last month on the Solstice I found the coffee to be too weak. Especially the one in the buffet, I labelled it "muddy water".

But then again, I like my coffee strong. At home I vary between an espresso machine, french press or Mocca Master (the only coffee maker I would ever use!), and I prefer a strong, dark roast.

Maybe they should have two types of coffee available in the buffet, european style and american style? ;)

All the coffees are included in the classic non alcoholic package at $14 day. If that is your interest save your cash.

I liked most of the coffees particulary nice espresso in al bacio and Blu. Only one cup was in Blu was too weak one day.

I took the undrinkable challenge and won.....

I have good news for you. Dunkin Donuts is alive and well in Barcelona - although why anyone would go there in a city with wonderful bakery cafes on every other corner is beyond me. I used to seek out Starbucks in Barcelona but forgot all about it when I tried one of those local cafes, besides Starbucks never had brewed coffee there anyways. Barcelona is chock full of American fast food places. Even if you don't like cappuccino or lattes you might try an americano - it's basically watered down espresso and usually OK for my brewed coffee taste. In countries east of Barcelona I doubt you'll find anything other than local cafes.

My advice, go into one of the bakery cafes in Barcelona or any town in Italy for a real treat, try one of their pastries or baguette sandwiches (panini in Italy) and a latte if you like milk in your coffee or an americano if you don't. It might just please you so much you'll have to change your name from grumpy to happy. Hi Ho!

Larry,

Do you remember if the Starbucks in Barcelona has free Wifi?

All the coffees are included in the classic non alcoholic package at $14 day. If that is your interest save your cash.

I liked most of the coffees particulary nice espresso in al bacio and Blu. Only one cup was in Blu was too weak one day.

I took the undrinkable challenge and won.....

Things have gone up. No surprise. :rolleyes: Celebrity quoted me $18.00 per per per day yesterday and this includes all the speciality coffees and smoothies as well.

Things have gone up. No surprise. :rolleyes: Celebrity quoted me $18.00 per per per day yesterday and this includes all the speciality coffees and smoothies as well.

There are two different levels of packages: "classic" and "premium". Both include most of the espresso based coffees you were asking about. For more details see their website: http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages&tab=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab%2Fonboard%2FasrPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic

Classic Non-alc = $14

Premium Non-alc = $18

With classic I had all the (non-alcoholic) coffees, teas, juices (+inc squeezed orange juice), smoothies in Blu and Aqua Spa Cafe, Pellegrino sparkling water.

Only reason to go premium is if you want red bull and vitamin waters and Evian.

Generic brand water from bars and gangway was fine....

I worked in construction and there was a philosophy that we always used. When picking a contractor there are 3 things to consider: good, cheap, and fast. You can only have 2 but never all 3.

Cheap and good. And that is what you get good and cheap but will take forever.

Fast and good. It will be fast and good but there will be a price because it will not be cheap.

Cheap and fast. It will be cheap and fast but not good. You get what you pay for. It is cheap for a reason.

With coffee you can never have free and good together. You can only have one

Free

Good

Classic Non-alc = $14

Premium Non-alc = $18

With classic I had all the (non-alcoholic) coffees, teas, juices (+inc squeezed orange juice), smoothies in Blu and Aqua Spa Cafe, Pellegrino sparkling water.

Only reason to go premium is if you want red bull and vitamin waters and Evian.

Generic brand water from bars and gangway was fine....

OK! She did not mention a classic vs.premium or a $14.00 figure. Thank you. :) My wife likes smoothies. We'll see.

There are two different levels of packages: "classic" and "premium". Both include most of the espresso based coffees you were asking about. For more details see their website: http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages&tab=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab%2Fonboard%2FasrPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic

Thank you. I saw the other reply to clarify.

Thank you for the website....it answers all of my questions!

Don

What is a passaround?

I looked over my list of Elite benefits and the Elite letter and list of events from our last two cruises and I couldn't find any reference to passarounds. I hope I'm not missing out on something good!

Joking aside, since it is referenced together with the "free cocktails" I presume it refers to the hors d'oeuvres served during the Elite Captain's Club Social Hour in Micheal's club or another lounge in the early evening.

I have good news for you. Dunkin Donuts is alive and well in Barcelona - although why anyone would go there in a city with wonderful bakery cafes on every other corner is beyond me. I used to seek out Starbucks in Barcelona but forgot all about it when I tried one of those local cafes, besides Starbucks never had brewed coffee there anyways. Barcelona is chock full of American fast food places. Even if you don't like cappuccino or lattes you might try an americano - it's basically watered down espresso and usually OK for my brewed coffee taste. In countries east of Barcelona I doubt you'll find anything other than local cafes.

My advice, go into one of the bakery cafes in Barcelona or any town in Italy for a real treat, try one of their pastries or baguette sandwiches (panini in Italy) and a latte if you like milk in your coffee or an americano if you don't. It might just please you so much you'll have to change your name from grumpy to happy. Hi Ho!

Thanks for the tip about Dunkin Donuts in Barcelona. I will google it and see if I can find any. It would make me very happy to have a donut and coffee on the day and a half before we board the ship.

Thanks. Hi ho......

Thanks for the tip about Dunkin Donuts in Barcelona. I will google it and see if I can find any. It would make me very happy to have a donut and coffee on the day and a half before we board the ship.

Thanks. Hi ho......

In Barcelona it is worth looking for Churros con Chocolate, a traditional Spanish type donut style snack (long and thin, not round). With a nice coffee it will be great. Very popular....

Believe me, I'm fussy about coffee & we treat ourselves in the cafe's to cafeaulait from time to time but do drink the room service coffee (pretty good) and buffet & MDR coffee (almost as good) -- but the best FREE coffee is at the aqua spa cafe along with the other great fresh healthy food. Such a subjective thing, coffee taste -- my opinion is that DDonuts coffee is too weak. Try the free stuff B4 spending on the coffee plans is my suggestion.

Thanks. Hi ho......

Now I feel guilty for even telling you about it. But if you're really interested there is one on Ramblas right by the entrance to the Boqueria, about five block south of Placa Catalunya on Ramblas. If the following link works right it should give you a street view on Google maps looking down the entrance to the Boqueria with Dunkin Donuts on the left corner. Click here

Now I'll admit that on our second trip to Barcelona I went there for coffee one morning (Starbucks near there wasn't open yet at 9AM) BUT now that I've a little more familiar with Barcelona I think it is a mistake. I really recommend you pass right by Dunkin Dounuts and go into the Boqueria and find one of the merchants there which sells baked goods and/or coffee and have some really great treats. Or find one of the similar bakery cafes your might pass on your way there. You won't be sorry.

I googled the Dunkin Donuts and it is exactly 4.3 kilometers to Dunkin Donuts from our hotel on the beach, W Hotel Barcelona. But don't worry I am not going to go that far for Dunkin Donuts, unless....we take a cab from the hotel to Las Ramblas and then I may wander in and get some good coffee and donuts. He He.

Don't feel guilty.

Thanks.

Actually since Elites can get free coffee in Michael's Club in the morning, you can get great coffee on the ship. While I personally consider Illy among the best, Michael's had Lavazza Gold which is very good.

Illy and Lavazza are both great coffees, and are vastly superior to anything Starbucks can offer. It staggers me how often US posters refer to Starbucks as a coffee benchmark, their product is to coffee what McDonalds is to food.

One of the issues rarely discussed is (as a rule of thumb) that Europeans prefer much stronger coffee, Americans a reasonably weak brew.

The French, Italians, Germans, Swedes and Austrians like it strong, the Brits more middle of the road, and then there is the Turks and they drink coffee you can stand on!

Yes, Grumpy the Aqua Spa cafe is at the enclosed area on S class & near on Century class. Near all the other healthy food -- there are also to-go cups there in case you are grabbing coffee on the run.

Camping stores usually sell plastic French presses also. I am a self admitted coffee snob, and have suffered greatly on cruises because of it! :p I signed on for the premium beverage pkg, so I'm hoping those coffees will save me,

Jacketwatch, how is the Starbucks VIA? I shudder at the thought of instant, but love Starbucks and really love the idea of a cup of joe before I leave the room in the morning. I'm hoping that may a solution for me; don't feel like lugging my coffee and press along.

Not bad at all. Personally my coffee preference is Gevalia but the Via doesn't taste like instant at all. I have also taken my French press on ships B4 but the Via will do for me this time. Anyway I can always get good coffee while in port.

Thanks for the info. So the coffee in Michael's Club is like the coffee at the coffee bar? Do they also have free lattes?

So, you have to gp to Michael's and pay extra or pay extra for a good cup of coffee at the coffee bar? That's ridiculous. A cruise line should have excellent coffee that's included in the cost of the cruise. I guess if the coffee isn't very good quality then the cruise line can make money off coffee sold per cup at the specialty bar or restaurant. The mark-up on coffee is enormous. Even a very good coffee can be made for pennies per cup. From what I've read here the "free" coffee is probably weak.

Hi, I have read different posts on many different forums about coffee

on many different lines. And it seems to be the same theme. Do all

the mainstream lines have a problem with coffee?:confused:

I do agree with the subjective take though. Over the years, sometimes

the free coffee has tasted fine to me while other cruises I ask for a new

cup. Inconsistancy seems to be what happens quite often.

Archived