Sailed the Allure: Western Route: 7/17-7/24

Two couples in mid to late 50's. Four of us are past cruisers with Royal (platinum). First time on Oasis class ship.

Precruise: the Ritz Carleton (my comments under Florida departures forum)

Check-in:Got to cruise terminal about 10:30 am: onboard about 11:00am. easiest check-in of any cruise.

Allure:What can I say about this ship that has not already been said? She is stunning and an engineering marvel.

Pros: Overall service in all aspects, MDR food very good for such a huge amount of people, Extra wide Royal Promenade, Boardwalk (personal favorite), Central Park, Rising Tide Bar, 4.5 pools (cannot really count solarium pool as a full pool), plenty of space on all the pool decks, Entertainment (especially Chicago and Aqua Theater Show), Solarium Bistro, Photo Identification/Folio

Cons: Extra small ocean view balcony cabins, insufficient sized Windjammer, no omelets/eggs to order in Windjammer, insufficient sized Cafe Promenade, small and closed in fitness center (cannot take steam or sauna unless paid for in spa).

Ports: Labadee: We relaxed at Columbus Cove; the guys also rented jet skis. This is one of my favorite ports. Falmouth: A work in progress, but I like it. We took Royal's "Chukka Beach Break" excursion (comments in Jamaica forum from my Feb cruise). Cozumel: Took taxi to Paradise Beach and did a little shopping right at the pier.

Speciality Dining: Giovannis for dinner, Rita's for lunch. Rita's was good. We might possibly be the only folks who did not like the food at Giovannis. Was a big disappointment. Three of our meals were tasteless, and one was very salty.

Misc: Had late traditional seating for dinner at a table for 4, booked all of our shows, Giovannis, jet skis and Chukka Beach Break before the cruise, able to use the "luggage valet" program (Southwest)

Post Cruise: I booked online a sight seeing intercoastal cruise on the Carrie B Riverboat (1.5 hours long), since our flight did not leave until 3:15

Personal sailing issue: Whenever there is a very large group booked on any cruise, it sometimes takes away a little from the cruise experience. Our sailing had a very large group (I counted at least 24) of quinceanera celebrations that week. The friends and families of these beautiful young girls were often extremely loud, rude in the theater, and clearly did not control/keep track of their children (especially late at night). I have had quinceanera celebrations on past cruises (maybe 5 or 6 per cruise) that did not affect my cruise experience at all.

Personal Conclusions: I probably will not sail an Oasis class ship again, unless influenced by family or friends. We had a wonderful vacation and the ship is amazing, but I prefer the Voyager or Freedom class ships. I actually think that I will go over to Celebrity and try a Soltice class ship for my next cruise, just for a change of pace. I love Royal, but need a little change after seven consecutive cruises with them.

Happy to answer any specific questions (Did not photo or save any compasses)

Forgot to mention that Allan Brooks was our cruise director, deck 14 forward had a sun deck and observation deck that was hardly used, the comedy show that we saw (specific to our sailing) was PG rated. Even though weather reports prior to our cruise indicated that it would be rainy, we had sunshine every day except the day we departed from FT Lauderdale

Gee, I guess I'll have to go over to the Jamaica forum and find your comments on the Chanukah beach break :rolleyes: Kidding, I'll be sure to do that. I'm considering my next cruise and Allure or Oasis, or possibly another ship going to Labadee/Falmouth might be chosen. I haven't been back to Labadee since the pier was built and I keep reading reviews about famouth, so I'll be sure to find out about your beach break there.

I know what you mean about those large groups, at least the solarium is a good way to get away from that group. On Majesty, a much smaller ship, we had a similar experience with a family reunion of about 50 people. The dominated the battle of the sexes game and that family had some really dumb drunk men, I gave up :D

Forgot to mention that Allan Brooks was our cruise director, deck 14 forward had a sun deck and observation deck that was hardly used, the comedy show that we saw (specific to our sailing) was PG rated. Even though weather reports prior to our cruise indicated that it would be rainy, we had sunshine every day except the day we departed from FT Lauderdale

That observation deck was where we were for sailaway and we were captured on the port cam footage and I go back and watch it again frequently . Knowing where that door was to get to that area made me a popular guy as I saw lots of people figuring out how to get to it and trying to get to it from the wrong side.

The jet skis are definitely an excursion. Be forewarned, however, (we knew about this) that they stop the jet skis and you are approached by locals in their boats who ask you to buy something. Even if you say you have no money, they will try to make some kind of payment arrangement. My husband said that a simple, direct "I'm not interested" did the job.

Deck 14 foward on which side to get to the sun deck/observation area?

That observation deck was where we were for sailaway and we were captured on the port cam footage and I go back and watch it again frequently . Knowing where that door was to get to that area made me a popular guy as I saw lots of people figuring out how to get to it and trying to get to it from the wrong side.

Were is that "door" located? We are going on the Allure in December.

I would go back. Facilities were very clean. Entrance fee of $2 for chaise and umbrella. We got two drinks and the loaded nachos (which were delicious and reasonable). The day we were went there were three ships in port, so it was full but not extremely crowded. The new pool and pool area is beautiful. Beach was just OK. Rocky entrance, except to the far right. Water a little murky, but not really dirty. I don't find the Cozumel beaches particularly great, unless you want to snorkel. Lots of families, since they have a water park. I love the Caribbean beaches in Grand Cayman, Jamaica, St John, St Martin, etc. that have soft sand and clear blue water. I had been to Cozumel before and knew I would probably not be thrilled with the beach, so the new pool was what attracted me to this place.

Can you give us some more information on the Carrie B Riverboat?

Did you book it on the RCL website?

What time did you get off Allure and what time did you get to the airport? I am asking, since I have not booked our flight yet and what to plan the right flight time.

Was it worth the money?

The Carrie B Riverboat is narrated a 90 minute cruise through the intercoastal waterways of Ft Lauderdale. For us it was a relaxing and enjoyable way to spend some time after our Allure cruise before we went to the airport. We left the port between 9:30-9:45 am. The Carrie B cruise was not until 11:00am. Our driver (we had private transportation, but you could certainly use a taxi) dropped us off at a Starbucks a block from the Carrie B. He picked us up between 12:30-12:45 pm and then took us directly to the airport. We got to the airport about 1:00 pm for our 3:10 pm flight. Realize that we had no luggage, since we were able to participate in the luggage valet program(we flew SW) Royal offers this excursion, but I was afraid it could get canceled if they did not have enough people sign up (I was told that this often happens). You really can't do this if you have luggage to contend with.

addicted2 user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Looked up your Chukka Beach Break info and after reading the thread we decided to book. Thanks we didn't know what to do in Jamaica and now we do.

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it. Let us know your impressions when you get back.

Archived