Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

CruiseAdict218

Some recollections about Norway:

As mentioned, the dining rooms were beautiful.  Food and service were wonderful.

The aft sundeck was huge.

Two levels of promenade decks, one with large windows, and one open.

Several dance venues, all lovely.

A Broadway-style show was presented during each 7-night cruise.  Ours was "The Will Rogers Follies", starring Lorene Yarnell, who we met and talked with several times.

The two dining rooms, with adjacent galley, meant that one could not traverse the entire deck on that level.  We unexpectedly hit dead ends several times.

The very top deck, wide open around the funnel and the Norway signs, was a great place to see the sky and the sea.

Going ashore via tender gave us lots of water-level views of the ship, with all the rivets, the shape, and the enormity of it.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, shipgeeks said:

Going ashore via tender gave us lots of water-level views of the ship, with all the rivets, the shape, and the enormity of it.  

Wonderful memories!  The tenders were unique in themselves.  Housed and launched by cranes from the deck at the front of the ship.  Little Norway 1 and Little Norway 2:  do you remember if that was their names?  

On 5/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

Wonderful memories!  The tenders were unique in themselves.  Housed and launched by cranes from the deck at the front of the ship.  Little Norway 1 and Little Norway 2:  do you remember if that was their names?  

Yes, I think you are correct.

• Thanks 1

I do love ship memorabilia, especially menus, photos, and other items that take me back to earlier days on cruises.

I find it amusing to come across, usually in thrift stores, souvenir items from ports.  Ashtray/shot glass/salt shaker, "Souvenir of Aruba/Mexico/Margaritaville".  It seems that some people just have to buy things in all their ports; are they buying for themselves, or for their lucky in-laws?

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I do love ship memorabilia, especially menus, photos, and other items that take me back to earlier days on cruises.

I find it amusing to come across, usually in thrift stores, souvenir items from ports.  Ashtray/shot glass/salt shaker, "Souvenir of Aruba/Mexico/Margaritaville".  It seems that some people just have to buy things in all their ports; are they buying for themselves, or for their lucky in-laws?

A traveling companion always tried to buy a small magnet that represented a port she had visited.  She was quite proud of her collection and her refrigerator was plastered with them.  When we visited a port in Greenland, there was only one gift shop and it was stuffed with fellow guests.  She disliked such a crowded situation.  She decided that she would not attempt to buy a magnet there and was disappointed.  I wanted nothing, but, I decided to join the mob and try to buy a magnet--if they had any.  They did; I bought; she was delighted.  

I used to buy stuff for me as well as gifts for others.  Some items that I bought, I am sure were appreciated by the recipients.  But, others?  Probably not.  Finally, I realized, why I am buying more dust collectors for me?  I hate dusting stuff.  Unless the item is something "really special", I buy little to nothing.  I am more likely to buy food/drink items than anything else during a port visit.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought might get a kick out of the craziest Cunard postcard I have ever seen, it's for the QE2, but it's the oddest postcard I have ever seen for Cunard. See what you think of this *Cartoon Postcard* and yes it was from aboard the ship as it has the QE2 stamp on the back saying posted onboard. Would love to hear back on this oddity, sadly I don't know what year this postcard is from as I can't find it anywhere.

QE2 Postcard Front.JPG

QE2 Postcard back.jpg

Edited by norboy76
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I don't know what year this postcard is from as I can't find it anywhere.

That is an oddity!  A bit of whimsy on the part of someone.  Date?  From the funnel colors, it was sometime after QE2's introduction into service when the funnel was painted in the traditional Cunard colors.  (Was the funnel modified at that time as well?)  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

That is an oddity!  A bit of whimsy on the part of someone.  Date?  From the funnel colors, it was sometime after QE2's introduction into service when the funnel was painted in the traditional Cunard colors.  (Was the funnel modified at that time as well?)  

the funnel was modified after the falkland war when she was converted to diesel engines.  the person I bought this from emailed me when I asked when this was from and was told late 1990's early 2000

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, norboy76 said:

the funnel was modified after the falkland war when she was converted to diesel engines.  the person I bought this from emailed me when I asked when this was from and was told late 1990's early 2000

I thought that I was correct remembering that the funnel had been modified, but didn't remember that it was due to a change in power plant.  Personally, I think she looked better after the new funnel was put in place and painted the proper Cunard colors.

I am glad you got an answer to when the card was produced.  

Hello! I come to this forum only because I found a pack of playing cards in a box of my mother-in-law's things and I am hoping to find more information about them.  They seem really old (perhaps before rubberbands as they are tied with string LOL!)  Does anyone know anything about them or the cruise line?  Our family is fascinated to learn!

1655762468683980151571616048067.jpg

• Like 2

Check this website:  

www.gjenvick.com/OceanTravel/SteamshipLines/BalticAmericaLine.html

There appears to have been two companies with similar names:  Baltic America Line and Baltic American Line.  The playing cards appear to come from the first company.  

I hope this helps you.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought might like to enjoy seeing these 2 nice spoons. One is for the MV Georgic and it only shows the White Star Line flag, the other is for the MV Britannic and it shows both the Cunard and White Star Line flags.

MV Georgic Spoon.jpg

MV Britannic Spoon.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Playing in assorted contests, mostly trivia quiz games but also in sports tournaments, I won some assorted awards and prizes from Princess, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean.

On Princess, I won champagne bottles, blue coasters, blue notepads, gray bags, and medals.

On Carnival, I won the two common prizes - ship on a stick trophy and medal.

On Royal Caribbean, won a medal and through progressive trivia, won water bottles, keychains, pens, and small bags.

prizes.jpg

carn-award.jpg

rc.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this nice Soviet Era cruise ship pin collection: These are the ship names. 

1 Admiral Nakhimov
2 The Ship "Ukraine"
3 The Ship "Georgia"
4 Byelorussia
5 Azerbaijan
6 Taras Shevchenko
7 "Ivan Franko"
8 Russia (above)/Dnipro (below)
9 Ship "Latvia"
10 Rustaveli
11 Dnipro
12 "Colchis"
13 Uzbekistan
14 Abkhazia
15 Baltiкa
16 Riverflot Ukraine 
17 Mikhail Kalinin
18 Adjara
Again the name "Ukraine"(3 times), Admiral Nakhimov and Ivan Franko.

IMG_0421.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2016 at 12:17 AM, lenquixote66 said:

My first cruise was on a Cunard ship .They changed menus for dinner every night and we had the option of taking the menus .I took 7 home. On my next cruise ,on a Carnival ship I was not able to do that .Instead I kept the dailies and have kept them from every cruise I've been on to date.

Which Cunard ship were you on? I was on the RMS Sylvania and the original Queen Mary in 1966

On 5/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, shipgeeks said:

A friend who sailed on Rotterdam in the 1950's, as a child, gave me the menus she saved.  It's interesting to see how much the meal choices have changed!  We occasionally take them on a cruise with us to show to our waiter and head waiter.

I sailed on the Cunard line in 1966. Lunch and dinner always included a fish course.

12 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I didnt realize the Cunard line had a ship by that name.  They usually had names ending in "ia" like Sylvania, Carpathia, Mauritania and the Queens.

The Ambassador sailed only briefly from 1972 to 1974.It was a beautiful ship.Unfortunately there was a fire onboard in 1974 that led to its end as a cruise ship.

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I didnt know that!

It was not our intent to initially book that ship.We were looking for something different to do for a special birthday year and someone suggested a cruise.We were initially booked on a Greek line ship,the 

Amerikaniis but the ship developed engine problems on its return from a prior cruise.Our TA offered either a complete refund or to substitute the Cunard ship.Being familiar with the Cunard line we opted to do that and were very happy that we did so.