Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

CruiseAdict218

On 2/2/2014 at 6:09 PM, cruise collector said:

hi

I have been collecting shipping emphera [menus,passenger lists, and the like] for many years mainly from the golden age of shipping early 1900s. My main area for collecting would be ebay,but if anybody out there also collects menus would love to here from you!

marty!

this is my list of menus I own in my collection:

I collect menus, I have maybe a little over 150 menus from various lines:

Holland America Line:  Statendam 1962, Nieuw Amsterdam 1970, Veendam 1984

Cunard: Ivernia 1961, Lancastria 1939, Queen Mary Gala Dinner 1958

Matson: Matsonia 1960

Grace Line: Santa Paula 1963

Home Lines: Oceanic 1971, Homeric 1988

Italian Line: Andrea Doria 1953, Michelangelo 1967

Sitmar: Fairwind 1977

French Line: France 1972

Alaska Steamship Lines: All Ships 1941

P&O: Canberra 1965, Oronsay 1966

Greek Line: Queen Anna Maria 1967

Royal Caribbean: All Fleet Souvenir Menus In Folder *unsure of year*

MSC: All Fleet Breakfast Menu

Pacific Far East Line: Monterey 1976

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Folks,

When I was a Commis Waiter and 1st Class Waiter aboard Cunard Steamship Company's RMS Caronia I kept several of the menus from the meals I'd served. Sadly, after several moves along the way I lost all my 1966 Great World Cruise menus, but many years later I came across those from the 1964 North Cape Cruise.

With the advent of eBay UK early in the Millennium and access to sellers in the USA, I began expanding my collection. By late 2003 I was amassing a fair amount of ephemera associated with the ship and it was time to decide on how I was going to catalogue this material, mainly to avoid buying duplicates. Postage costs from the USA to the UK have been a key factor in purchase decisions.

One thing I noticed was the amount of handling going on which alone might not be a problem, but lots of papers in small piles was putting too much stress on documents of a certain age. Certainly, there was a need to scan the artifacts, which by this time included cruise brochures, daily programmes, cruise logs and many other pieces emanating from the onboard print-shop. What to do?

Well, it was either build a boring database in dBase which I was proficient at or it had become time to learn HTML. Using a free program from AOL, and by early 2004, I had written the best part of 300 pages detailing where in the World the ship was on any particular day. If anything in the collection matched, a scan was provided. It was now easy to avoid buying duplicates and there was minimal handling. 

So, back then I launched the Caronia II Timeline on t'Interweb. In the meantime the site has grown to over 1,000 pages and the ephemera collection to 40 nearly filled foolscap filing boxes. What I had not bargained for was the reaction from site visitors. Very soon the Timeline was enabling me to collect and record other peoples' memories of the ship. This visitor feedback really helped me to fill many gaps in my own knowledge, especially of her early years when I was just a child. Several reunions were also brought about, across continents.

Even after nearly 50 years since the ship foundered outside Guam harbour, I'm amazed at how much interest there still is in this ship. If you, or anyone in your family, had associations with the ship we lovingly called "The Green Goddess", do please visit and I'd love to hear from you!

With Season's Greetings,

Steve

Caronia II Timeline Webmaster

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I posted this in response to a question in another forum but it applies here:

In the early years of RCCL each passenger received a VERY large stem glass (imagine huge red wine stem) during the maiden voyages with the ship’s name and date; I still have Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, Sun Viking, etc. etc. Passengers also received glass ashtrays or glassware sets as souvenirs with the crown and anchor. I have these as well. Another unique piece was a diamond/platinum Crown and Anchor pendant designed by the original owners for the 10th anniversary celebration of the company and only about a dozen were made and gifted.

22 hours ago, CruisinSinceAge5 said:

I posted this in response to a question in another forum but it applies here:

In the early years of RCCL each passenger received a VERY large stem glass (imagine huge red wine stem) during the maiden voyages with the ship’s name and date; I still have Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, Sun Viking, etc. etc. Passengers also received glass ashtrays or glassware sets as souvenirs with the crown and anchor. I have these as well. Another unique piece was a diamond/platinum Crown and Anchor pendant designed by the original owners for the 10th anniversary celebration of the company and only about a dozen were made and gifted.

Possessing unique items from specific sailings or items that mark a significant event in a ship's or cruise company's history is important to collectors.  For me, to know that I received such because I was a part of that particular cruise or marking a historical event for the company makes the item more dear to me.  

You are fortunate to have such  items in your collection.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Possessing unique items from specific sailings or items that mark a significant event in a ship's or cruise company's history is important to collectors.  For me, to know that I received such because I was a part of that particular cruise or marking a historical event for the company makes the item more dear to me.  

You are fortunate to have such  items in your collection.  

Yes, each has a great deal of meaning. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have some really neat momentos from various cruises, including item's from friends:

Ship Yard Keel Laying Gift: Celebrity Equinox

1969 Record Album: Queen Elizabeth 2

Mikhail Lermentov 45 rpm record

Carnival Funnel Cup/Piggy Bank

shipyard_keel_laying_gift_by_wildelf34_dceql4i-fullview.jpg

queen_elizabeth_2_record_album_by_wildelf34_defk4jm-pre.jpg

ms_mikhail_lermontov_45rpm_record_by_wildelf34_ddh0wof-pre.jpg

carnival_funnel_bank_by_wildelf34_dbzgiv2-pre.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It appears that more people are cleaning out their closets, perhaps in anticipation of cruising again, and collecting more souvenirs?

A brief glance at one shelf in a local thrift store this morning showed me a RC soda package glass, two RC Schooner Bar glasses, a Bahamas souvenir glass, and a souvenir of Perth, Australia.  Nothing as interesting or vintage as some of the above, but they are still out there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

It appears that more people are cleaning out their closets, perhaps in anticipation of cruising again, and collecting more souvenirs?

A brief glance at one shelf in a local thrift store this morning showed me a RC soda package glass, two RC Schooner Bar glasses, a Bahamas souvenir glass, and a souvenir of Perth, Australia.  Nothing as interesting or vintage as some of the above, but they are still out there.

Thrift shops sometime have interesting maritime souvenirs.  A friend of mine who volunteered at her church's thrift shop found an empty candy tin with a painting of R.M.S. Queen Mary on its lid; perfect condition.  There were a few other items that Pat found and added to my collection.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vunico said:

I have several items from the classic age, including this letter from the maiden voyage of the Queen Mary from one of the prominent hoteliers of the time to F.L. Maytag

Thank you for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice when make friends with officers on board as never know what'll happen, as I like to try when I'm on a ship. I remember on a Celebrity Cruises ship, I brought with me, my binder of Chandris items and photos of souvenirs including a brochure for Chandris from 1967 - 1968 for the SS Regina, some postcards for the Amerikanis, Ellinis and Britanis and I was carrying the binder in an old Chandris bag from the 1960s I believe and made friends with an officer getting a couple of nice souvenirs from her, which I'll show photos of, including getting a second vintage Chandris bag.

One of the items is an *Inaugural Plaque* given to the islands on the ship's first cruise, the officer had one still, and now it's in my collection. The model was a gift signed by the captain and left in my cabin, I found it in the box with the note sitting on my bed. The other gift from the officer was her souvenir from when the ship's first keel was laid and it's now in my personal collection. It has the name of the ship, date of the keel laying, name of the shipyard and 2 coins inside the block. I already owned the orange-brown chandris bag, but now I have the greyish olive green bag now too. On one of my NCL cruises onboard the Norwegian Gem, I got as a souvenir a chef hat signed by the ship's Head Chef. And I got a Signed picture of the Norwegian Escape signed and stamped by it's captain during my cruise on her. A friend of mine gave me her items when she was a travel agent in the 50s and 60s and one of them is a signed Christmas Card signed by the President of the defunct Typaldos Lines with a copper photo of the SS Athinai on the card including a signed Typaldos business card

gift_to_islands_on_ship_inaugural_by_wildelf34_dceqm5h-fullview.jpg

chandris_tote_bags_by_wildelf34_dd6xx4k-pre.jpg

ddaazpt-1ff8df3b-836c-4181-a1c3-45f15fe57abb.jpg

shipyard_keel_laying_gift_by_wildelf34_dceql4i-fullview.jpg

daj8i1i-e20a616d-baed-435c-af6c-9344ee140bfc.jpg

captain_signed_picture_by_wildelf34_dbcgaph-fullview.jpg

typaldos_line_athinai_souvenir_and_signed_card_by_wildelf34_d8xcov1-fullview.jpg

• Like 1

A friend who sailed on Rotterdam in the 1950's, as a child, gave me the menus she saved.  It's interesting to see how much the meal choices have changed!  We occasionally take them on a cruise with us to show to our waiter and head waiter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

A friend who sailed on Rotterdam in the 1950's, as a child, gave me the menus she saved.  It's interesting to see how much the meal choices have changed!  We occasionally take them on a cruise with us to show to our waiter and head waiter.

They are quite different!  Often the "old menus" had so many choices under each category.  Often, some of those selections made me wonder how many, if any, actually ordered them.  

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I have a nice SS Rotterdam deck plan, a friend of mine, gave me, he was on her I believe in the 1960s including an item for HAL's New Pier at Pier 40 which is gone now, I think it was rebuild into a sports field and the surrounding parking I think is still there.I also have a nice black and white glass SS Rotterdam tray or dish, I'm not sure as doesn't look like an ashtray, a coffee cup for the SS Rotterdam

ddp12z2-08b5506a-0e49-457b-979a-05a11cd97f09.jpg

ddp136v-608a8832-888e-41e4-9bf4-138624499b9a.jpg

rotterdam_postcard_by_wildelf34_dalqfq5-fullview.jpg

ss_rotterdam_deck_plan_interior_by_wildelf34_ddp133e-fullview.jpg

ss_rotterdam_coffee_cup_by_wildelf34_d9xwn06-fullview.jpg

ss_rotterdam_glass_tray_by_wildelf34_ddaz07l-pre.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, norboy76 said:

HAL's New Pier at Pier 40

I sailed on S. S. Rotterdam twice from Pier 40 having driven there both times.  It was the most guest friendly parking/embarkation/disembarkation terminal that I have ever experienced.  Walking distances were not great, the parking garage was easy to navigate, easy in/easy out of the pier in 1970 and 1971, and an interior for guest check-in and customs/immigration that was well lighted and not the darkness of the Piers further North of Pier 40.  

• 1 month later...

I have some nice baseball caps for various Cruise Lines, including P&O, Cunard, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, GAP (The MV Explorer which sank during a cruise in 2007), Royal Caribbean, Festival Cruises, Star Cruises, Viking River Cruise, 

cunard_baseball_cap_by_wildelf34_dchk3eb-fullview.jpg

festival_cruises_bolero_baseball_cap_by_wildelf34_dauomuk-fullview.jpg

db5emrb-e5c5dae4-b6e7-481d-abbb-d57163c23da3.jpg

I have that ballcap for QM2.  Trying to meet some people on a HAL cruise whom were part of a Roll Call, I posted that I would wear that cap with the thought that I'd be the only one on the ship with such a thing.  The cap would help them identify me.  It worked!  

I've been inspired to start a new project.

I have two cartons of vintage cruise brochures, mostly around 8" x 11".

I also have two very vintage carryon bags that I've stored for many years.

I'm going to stand the bags up and stuff them with brochures, including a couple of prime ones in the outside pockets.  It should make a nice little tableaux, and now the brochures will be more accessible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When will you be available to come and help better organize my archives?  😄

Well.....as it turns out, the dusting off and putting in would have been easy.  But now we find we want to look at every brochure, and every photo, before we do anything further.

Would 2030 sometime suit you, lol?

20 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Would 2030 sometime suit you, lol?

😆  Unless I have embarked on my "heavenly cruise"  😀, that's fine!

20 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

But now we find we want to look at every brochure, and every photo, before we do anything further.

Isn't that the truth!  Every time I have tried to get some of the items better organized, I spend too much time looking at the items and get little done.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, shipgeeks said:

I also have two very vintage carryon bags that I've stored for many years.

I have a very vintage bag too, I actualy used it and brought it with me on my last Celebrity cruise, because the bag is a really nice 1960's Chandris bag which is all cloth, almost looks embroidered or crocheted. The captain and staff loved seeing it, I had also brought my binder of Chandris items which they though was really neat. Photos of the bag and the brochure I had brought with my on my Celebrity Equinox cruise. the brochure is a 1967-1968 brochure for the Chandris Cruises SS Regina (Boy was she sorta boring looking insider, the cabins seen in the brochure are the plainest, boringest cabins I have ever seen, I'll post photos of her dreadful cabins after I take photos of that page in the brochure. I also have a nice vintage SS Galileo spoon and a neat SS Britanis spoon that looks like little native spears tied together (I've never seen a spoon like it before). I got this next souvenir from the Chef in charge of the dining room and restaurants, it's the lil metal ring that holds the chef's scarf on around his neck, I couldnt get the scarf, but he did let me have the chef's uniform scarf ring. I also have a nice transition brochure which says Celebrity Cruises at the top and Chandris at the bottom of the brochure introducing 2 new ships, the Horizon and the Meridian (which would catch fire and sink in 1999).

1967_1968_chandris_brochure_by_wildelf34_dcqy9o0-pre.jpg

chandris_tote_bags_by_wildelf34_dd6xx4k-pre.jpg

dcinhot-8a6d8ed9-4020-4436-acce-5c7c1f9b895a.jpg

dcjbdvm-c57b47e6-5696-4896-bab2-5ab50d77b3b6.jpg

dda1x13-79a75cf2-48a7-4250-952a-7e150fb2f42a.jpg

d8xlhro-c4976215-cae3-4e5a-a27c-cf120ce7c572.jpg

• Like 1

I think I have that same Celebrity brochure!  We did Horizon to Bermuda, and Meridian to Southern Caribbean and South America.

A souvenir of ours that I think is really neat is a little plastic and metal bottle opener shaped like a life ring, complete with a string around it for hanging.  "SS Meridian" is printed on it.  It was given to us by a friend we met on Rembrandt; it was during an afternoon tea in the Ritz Carlton that our small group of vintage ship aficionados came up with the self-description of "shipgeeks".  We had dreams of buying Premier Cruiseline and maintaining those vintage ships, advertising them as such.

I haven't chosen to use a camera since I was 11 (a v e r y long time ago); hence my lack of photos.