Pyramids light show

sandemac

We are staying at Le Meridien, Feb 2012 for 3 nights and then onto a Nile Cruise. Just about to book a private guide for the Pyramids etc. Question is re the night show. As we appear to be fairly close to it, do we need a guide? is it worth a trip?

Many thanks

We are staying at Le Meridien, Feb 2012 for 3 nights and then onto a Nile Cruise. Just about to book a private guide for the Pyramids etc. Question is re the night show. As we appear to be fairly close to it, do we need a guide? is it worth a trip?

Many thanks

It's fun, but not outstanding. Part, or perhaps all of it, is narrated by the Sphinx, remembering various incidents in Egyptian history which happened in or near the pyramids, and then the pyramids are lit up in pretty colors, with occasional pointless laser beams shooting over your head. Certainly beats staying in the hotel and watching TV.

I don't think that you need a guide, but since the Sphinx is multilingual, you do need to know when the English language show is given (unless you understand Arabic, in which case go to that show, it costs less than the English show). Probably your hotel can tell you.

This picture shows about a third of the seating area, and gives you an idea of how close you are to the centers of attraction.

IMG_2016.JPG

Many thanks

From the many, many posts I have read here and elsewhere, my wife and I decided not to take in the Sound & Light show at the Pyramids. Too many people had written that the Sound part was cheesy and the Light show underwhelming. To be fair, though, many also wrote: "Hey, you're sitting there staring at the Sphinx and the Pyramids of Giza ... what can be wrong with that!"

We chose to enjoy our evenings at the Mena House after each of our two long days of touring, instead. We could watch the lights play on the Great Pyramid of Khufu while enjoying a great dinner. The Mena House has so much to offer all by itself. For us it was an excellent choice.

I see that you are planning a Nile cruise and I assume that it may take you to Luxor, so I would suggest that you certainly take in the Sound & Light show at Karnak Temple if you can. It was an amazing show that has you walking through the Temple in near darkness, stopping for parts of the presentation at various locations, and ending in comfortable seats with the whole Temple lit up before you and the newly lit mountains of the Valley of the Kings as a breathtaking backdrop. Simply spectacular!

While we were waiting for the Karnak Sound & Light show to begin, there was a full moon and the Adhan (Islamic call to prayers) began to echo throughout Luxor. Just to be at Karnak Temple would have been exhilarating enough for us, but with the moonlight filtering through the magnificent pillars of the Great Hypostyle Hall and the Adhan echoing throughout ... we experienced something transcendant; it was deeply moving and deliciously eerie at the same time. Certainly a memory for a lifetime.

Good luck with your plans. Let us know how they go.

I see that you are planning a Nile cruise and I assume that it may take you to Luxor, so I would suggest that you certainly take in the Sound & Light show at Karnak Temple if you can. It was an amazing show that has you walking through the Temple in near darkness, stopping for parts of the presentation at various locations, and ending in comfortable seats with the whole Temple lit up before you and the newly lit mountains of the Valley of the Kings as a breathtaking backdrop. Simply spectacular!

While we were waiting for the Karnak Sound & Light show to begin, there was a full moon and the Adhan (Islamic call to prayers) began to echo throughout Luxor. Just to be at Karnak Temple would have been exhilarating enough for us, but with the moonlight filtering through the magnificent pillars of the Great Hypostyle Hall and the Adhan echoing throughout ... we experienced something transcendant; it was deeply moving and deliciously eerie at the same time. Certainly a memory for a lifetime.

Good luck with your plans. Let us know how they go.

Taken at the Karnak Sound and Light show (with a full moon):

P1020238.jpg

Many thanks

If your staying near the Pyramids it's worth a trip,but if you were staying in Cairo downtown I would give it a miss.

It's a bit of fun and the light show is nice,you won't need a guide.

Nice photo's Cam & Cruisemom

I will have to investigate if we can get to the light show in Karnak. I presume our evenings will be free so should be able to organise via the boat? Has anyone done this.

We are going on the MS Monica.

I will have to investigate if we can get to the light show in Karnak. I presume our evenings will be free so should be able to organise via the boat? Has anyone done this.

According to their website ( "Ms Monica Nile cruise sails every Wednesday from Luxor to Aswan and return on a seven night, eight day cruise. Day 1: Met and transferred from Luxor airport to your cruise vessel, check into your cabin on board and freshen up for dinner, overnight stay in Luxor." )

So, your itinerary allows you to take in the Sound & Light show at Karnak on Day 1, the night before leaving on the cruise. Alternatively, you could also probably take it in on the night of your return to Luxor but you may then miss their Belly Dance Show on board.

You also need to bear in mind that different nights have different languages, although I do seem to recall that on our last visit to Luxor (March 2010), there is more than one show per night. Having said that, the boat/tour staff will almost certainly organise this as an option. We think it is the best Sound and Light in Egypt, having seen it three or four times, as well as the pyramids, Abu Simbel and Philae shows.

Archived