Your choice of good food on RCI

fllady

Hi, We are going on Brilliance in less than 2 weeks, first time on RCI and DH wants to know what is the good things to eat and what to stay away from. Thanks and Happy Easter.

jeanne :cool:

We were on the Rhapsody a couple of weeks ago, and while I'm sure many will disagree, in my opinion, for the most part the food was just plain bad. So, I would stay away from any of the meats (ribeye on the menu is actually low grade prime rib, the tenderloin steak is covered in gravy (probably for a reason), and the new york strip is very fatty and chewy), if you like your salmon well done, then it is okay, and the pizza was of poor quality. The chocolate creme brule is actually just chocolate pudding.

What we did like: coffee, eggs benedict in the dining room, fru-fru drinks around the pool, ice-cream based desserts, and french fries. Your best bet at good food is to find good places to eat in port.

First of all, everyone has an opinion and expectations. If you are looking for five star foods from a galley that will provide several thousand meals at two sittings, forget it. What you will get is average food served elegantly. If you don’t like what you ordered, ask for something else. Make friends with you wait staff, and they will take care of you. But remember they are not cooking the meal, so don’t take your frustrations out on them. Also, buffets are exactly that, buffets. The food has been sitting out for a while, but is changed often. Pick and choose. As with the rest of the cruise, it’s what you expect and what you make of it. Just relax and have a good time. One last thought, I always figured that food I did not have to cook was good.

Hi swfla, I agree with you, but DH always looks for something special the ship might be known for. Like Princess and soufles, or the pastry/coffee place on Celebrity where they serve warm almond crossants in the morning. You can tell he has a sweet tooth.

Jeanne :cool:

Good: lamb chops, sea bass, lobster tails, flourless chocolate cake, warm chocolate cake, coffee creme brulee, cold fruit soups, filet mignon, soft-serve ice cream on the promenade, omelets (made to order in rear of windjammer area)

Not as good: lobster ravioli, strip steak, brownie ala mode (dry)

Just plain bad: pancakes at breakfast buffet -- hard as a rock!

Hope this helps,

Kurt

Think fish entrees at WJ & DR not great, there are better choices. I choose beef by default, which were mostly good. Prime rib dinner was very good, steaks not really great, but on par with family steak house (think Outback, Steak & Ale).....Most chilled soups very good.....especially banana......most baked desserts at least good.....some very good......very good bread baskets.......

As a general rule, I always ask for sauce/gravy on the side.....

Happy cruising.....

As someone mentioned above make friends with your server! I have on the last couple cruises and it helps! I usually narrow it down to 2 or 3 things and make them pick the best:) This works everytime! Or pay attention to what they are saying... "May I suggest..." They are saying this for a reason, not because they are told but because they think it's the best out of the line up and it's what they themselves would choose... Plus they don't want you to not be happy because they know how that can affect their poccket at the end of the week. Be nice to them and they will surely tell you what not to order.

• 1 month later...

You no doubt will have come and gone by the time you read this post BUT here is y two cents.

In the main dining room - Steak is NOT going to be like Mortons or Ruth Chris - as someone said before cooking for 2000 is not going to allow for that. It is not all that bad however. ON THE OTHER HAND. The Brilliance had Portofino and CHOPS.

WELL WORTH the upcharge - as the Steaks rival Mortons Dinner for 2 at Mortons last time we ate was $170 / couple including a glass of Jacob's Creek Shiraz ($10.50)

Same meal with a double order of Shrimp Cocktail was $25.50 for me and a rack of Lamb for my wife with a drink was the same price.

Portofino was also well worth it

when I find nothing on the menu that I care to eat, I request the chicken's menu! ... always find something to take away the hungries - ice cream usually is the best dessert selection for me - some ships include cappuchino and/or iced coffee as part of the included beverage service. I have learned that cruise-typical is a definition to use for cruise ship dining. I don't go in with big expectations, therefore, am never disappointed! I like the breakfast stations where they'll make you an omelet or waffle while you wait:)

Archived