New York shopping

karenbeanpole

We are in New York for 4 nts before our sailing. Would like to do some shopping. Please can anyone advise where to go for the best variety/price. We are particularly looking for Levis, sunglasses (Oakleys and Raybans) and anything else that is cheaper in the US than in the UK! Should we just go to a departmental store like Macys, or other smaller shops? Where should we hang out? We are staying in Tribeca next to Chambers - though we can get about anywhere.

We are also interested in doing the free Staten Island ferry trip. Is there any point to that if we are going to sail past it on the ship (QM2 transatlantic), or do we get a closer look from the ferry?

Thanks in advance for all replies :D

Check out the Macy's store site - http://gonyc.about.com/od/shopping/p/macys.htm

Macy's Department Store Shopping Tips:

• International shoppers can get a discount card good for 11% off most purchases at the Visitor's Center.

The New Yorkers can give you the sales tax basics. The NYC tax rate appears to currently be 8.875% It appears that there is a reduced tax rate on clothing and footwear.

clothing and footwear under $110 are exempt from New York City's 4.5% sales tax. Starting on April 1, 2011, clothing and footwear under $55 will be exempt from the entire sales tax.

The QM2 docks in Brooklyn so you are not going to sail right past the SOL. You will get a closer view from the SI ferry.

http://www.c21stores.com/

that is another option....century 21 stores...close to Ground Zero as well....it is a discount department store with higher end/designer stuff....you have to be willing to take time to look around.....

Logistics-wise this may not make sense...BUT in New Jersey, we do not charge sales tax on clothing or shoes (accessories like sunglasses, unless prescription, yes...) but you COULD check out this...

http://www.jerseygardens.com

i THINK you can get there fairly easily by bus....in New York you'll be paying i THINK at at least 8.5% sales tax...or more....

hope that helps

Hi, just want to add a couple of things to the good advice already given.

For the sunglasses, I'm just making sure you know that the street vendors who sell these are selling REPLICAS. Don't purchase from a street vendor. If you are specific on which model you are looking for Macys will give you the best price with the coupon for visitors because I have rarely seen Oakleys and Raybans allowed on other coupons. If you know the price in the UK and then can do a cost comparsion when shopping, you should check out eyewear shops. They are all over the place usally the word optical is in the name. Many times, they have styles marked down.

For the Levis and most other items, Macys and many of the other department stores are always having sales that discount these sometimes as much as 25%. Hopefully your hotel will have a computer and a printer and you can do some searches on the stores websites and print out any coupons. Another store that runs fabulous sales is Lord and Taylor.

I agree that going to the outlet malls in New Jersey will result in LARGE savings (from the tax alone).

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pages/secaucuspage.html

http://www.jerseygardens.com/

Either mall has a Levis outlet store and Sunglass Hut. Harmon Meadow is VERY easy to get to from Manhattan. They also have more designer clothes than Jersey Gardens-DKNY, Dana Buchman (whose silk clothes I love), Escada, Ann Klein, etc.etc.

It is VERY easy to get to the Secaucus outlets from Manhattan. 320 bus out of Port Authority bus terminal run directly into the mall area.

Not quite as easy getting to Jersey Gardens. megr1125 or 138east will be able to provide directions.

No refund on taxes. The VAT tax that is refunded in Europe is a national tax and refunded at the airport. The taxes you pay in the USA are STATE specific. Would be a nightmare trying to refund 50 individual state taxes. We have no national sales or VAT tax.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks so much - might make it to Harmon if we have the time. Did a Google search and seems like it might take about 40 mins from our hotel by public transport. Are prices likely to be a lot less than Macy's with the Macy visitor discount? Basically if the non sale price at Macy's is only slightly more than the outlets, it might not be worthwhile us trekking out of town. Also we're planning to do our shopping on a Sat (the only day we have available), which I presume is the most crowded day!

Just found out that Jersey Gardens is not that difficult to get to either, just takes a bit longer than Harmon.

But which is a better mall - I don't mean necessarily bigger as that would just be too much for us. I mean easier to find things and not have to walk miles to get from one shop to another! I've been to outlet malls before in Florida and San Diego, and I know that some malls you need to drive from one end to get to the other! We are not shopaholics, just need to browse and get a few things on our list!

I might be the only one with this unpopular opinion, but I am not a big fan of "outlet malls". If you just want a jeans, try to catch a sale at Macys first. For example, today I received an email that Macys has all the men's Levis 25-30 percent off. Then you would get your additional 8%. Sign up to receive email from Macys about sales and then you will have it in your inbox.

I might be the only one with this unpopular opinion, but I am not a big fan of "outlet malls". If you just want a jeans, try to catch a sale at Macys first. For example, today I received an email that Macys has all the men's Levis 25-30 percent off. Then you would get your additional 8%. Sign up to receive email from Macys about sales and then you will have it in your inbox.

You're definitely not the only one with that opinion. In addition a lot of merchandise sold in the outlet malls is not the same product sold in the retailers' main stores. It's often lower quality goods made specifically for the outlets or "seconds" of regular merchandise...goods that don't meet the stores' standards due to manufacturing defects.

Ditto me on not a fan of outlet malls either.

I like the sales at Bloomingdales and Macy's and for smaller stores, Mexx, H&M, A/X, Century 21 (prepare to fight crowds and dig) along with the uniqueness of the smaller boutiques.

The best outlets in NJ are now in Paramus (transportation from Port Authority) Bergen Town Center..Century 21, Nordstroms Rack, Bloomingdale Outlet, Nike, Disney, Gap, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Off Fifth (Saks Fifth Ave) Tommy Hilfiger endless list.. Jersey Garden is huge and not as good IMHO. We have not tax on clothing in NJ. I live 15 minutes from Harmon Meadow and would not waste my time. Begen Town Center has a Whole Foods, Target and Bobby' Place (Bobby Flay's burgers) It is definitely worth the trip.

If you want to go to the outlet Malls, consider Woodbury Commons too. I know there is some type of bus that goes there but I don't have other details. It's a higher end mall. Jersey Gardens is cheaper.

For a true NY shopping experience you need to check out the following:

[*]Macy's

[*]Bloomingdales

[*]Saks Fifth Avenue

[*]wandering up & down Madison Ave

[*]wandering Chinatown & Soho

All of those have far more NYC flavor than heading off to a mall in the suburbs.

While everyone has their own idea of what is good and not, the OP specifically wants to purchase Levis and sunglasses. Levi Outlets are the cheapest I have ever found and I buy a lot of Levis. The one in Secaucus closed the 1st of July, so the only other one close is in Jersey Gardens. There is a Sunglass Hut in most outlet malls in NJ and most of them carry both Oakleys and Raybans.

There are few discounts on Levis in dept stores that I have ever found. Even 25% off from full retail is higher than the Levi Outlet stores. Once in a while Sears has discounts but other than online, the Levi outlet stores are the cheapest I have found.

If you want to go to the outlet Malls, consider Woodbury Commons too. I know there is some type of bus that goes there but I don't have other details. It's a higher end mall. Jersey Gardens is cheaper.

For a true NY shopping experience you need to check out the following:

[*]Macy's

[*]Bloomingdales

[*]Saks Fifth Avenue

[*]wandering up & down Madison Ave

[*]wandering Chinatown & Soho

All of those have far more NYC flavor than heading off to a mall in the suburbs.

Bergen Town Center is a mini Woodbury Commons and a whole lot closer.

We are in New York for 4 nts before our sailing. Would like to do some shopping. Please can anyone advise where to go for the best variety/price. We are particularly looking for Levis, sunglasses (Oakleys and Raybans) and anything else that is cheaper in the US than in the UK! Should we just go to a departmental store like Macys, or other smaller shops? Where should we hang out? We are staying in Tribeca next to Chambers - though we can get about anywhere.

We are also interested in doing the free Staten Island ferry trip. Is there any point to that if we are going to sail past it on the ship (QM2 transatlantic), or do we get a closer look from the ferry?

Thanks in advance for all replies :D

There are these stores in Manhattan throughout the borough. They are called OMG and the have a great selection of jeans sunglasses sneakers and shoes. omgstores.com I live here and shop them frequently. They are convenient and you can avoid the crowds. Levis are a staple. go to the site and find the store locator icon you can figure out which is closest to where you will be staying. The Chelsea store is great. Any questions? Hit me back up, be glad to help. K beans. aka Karen :)

I agree, walk around the stores on 5th Ave for fun then go to Harmon Meadow to save a bundle.

In NYC South Street Seaport is sort of fun. Not really a shopping mecca, but they have some cute shops along with eateries and a GREAT view. You can also walk along cobblestone streets in a pedestrian area.

No taxes are refundable, sorry!

Thanks you all for your great tips. We don't really want to do a lot of shopping, though I would love to if we had more time and money! Now that we are armed with all the info, we'll just see what we feel like doing once we get there. I've written down everything everyone has said, and we shouldn't do too badly... thanks once again! We're leaving on Monday for Toronto (for Niagara Falls) and will be in NYC on Thursday for 4 nts before sailing home on 5th September. REally looking forward to it!

In the end we got our Levis from the Levis shop in Times Square which had massive savings - spend $250 get $100 off! And our Oakleys from an opticians in Chinatown which happened to have what we wanted and gave us a discount. Didn't get time to go to malls outside town but we lived south st seaport for shopping too. Absolutely love New York!

Yay! I didn't realize you were here over Labor Day weekend. Any holiday, the retailers throw a sale. But Labor Day is great for "back to school" stuff such as jeans and eye glasses.

In the end we got our Levis from the Levis shop in Times Square which had massive savings - spend $250 get $100 off! And our Oakleys from an opticians in Chinatown which happened to have what we wanted and gave us a discount. Didn't get time to go to malls outside town but we lived south st seaport for shopping too. Absolutely love New York!

Archived