Alaskan Jewellery

oceanblue1

My wife bought a small (dime size) 14k whales tail pendant from a local custom jeweler in Skagway. It's very nice, she gets numerous comments on it and it always reminds us of a great day spent in Skagway.

If you happen to be in Talkeetna for their annual "Moose Dropping Festival" there is plenty of moose dropping jewelry. From what I've read, they dehydrate the droppings, then sculpt and finally shellack. I've promised my 22 yr old daughter a nice pair of moose dropping earrings!!!!

Bill Spear's pins are widely available outside Alaska but they are very cool, some with an "insider" political message (he used to be involved extensively in State politics.)

Jade and Jadeite are also commonly available around Alaska, sometimes combined with gold nuggets for a green-and-gold effect. Some tasteful, some... well...

You can also look for silver (bracelets etc.) with Tlingit designs in various ports in SE Alaska.

Hi...

When my parents went to Alaska about 12 years ago, they brought me back a gold medallion filled with gold nugget flakes. (I already had a nice gold chain to hang it on.)

I wore it a lot & never took it off when I showered - after a few years the back of the medallion came unglued & the flakes fell out. Saved a few of them. When I returned last year I planned to buy another one but we didn't find the really nice ones. These were 14k & the ones we saw last year weren't as nice.

I used to get a lot of comments on it.

Have fun!

great cruising home

When sailing the Caribbean, I like to buy one special piece of jewellery that is significant to an area or a special gem. Does anyone have suggestions of a nice piece of jewellery that is particular to Alaska?

We'll be doing our first Alaska cruise in Sept. on the Sapphire Princess. We've done nine Caribbean sailings, and on the Navigator of the Seas last January, was speaking with Darlene Bang, the Captain's lovely wife, at dinner. She mentioned that after all the years of sailings that they've done, she finds that jewelry prices are most competitive in Alaska, not the Caribbean. Is there truth to that?

Frankly, I'm thinking that DH will decide I absolutely need a Yukon diamond. Don't know if you can find them readily in Alaska, but I plan to look for them in Dawson City and Whitehorse. I rather doubt they are a bargain, but would be a great memento.

Murray, I knew you'd set me on the right track. I was thinking of the Sirius diamonds, but couldn't think of the name. I know that some jewelers in the Yukon carry them.

Emeralds would work just fine, too. I'll have to let my DH know they might be available as well. No trip is complete without some jewelry to bring home.

• 1 year later...

I realize that the "Alaskan Black Diamond" is actually hematite. But, I am wondering if anyone knows why it is called a black diamond and if anyone knows the value of it? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am searching online and have found some info on hematite, but I have also found that there really are black diamonds... And I am just getting more confused.

Archived