Tim Rubacky

Jancruz

For those that know Tim from Oceania you might be interested to know he is now a principle in a new cruise line that will be sailing on the Mississippi in spring of 2012 called Great American Steamship Company..I, for one, am looking forward to trying the American Queen (their first ship) for a different kind of experience..and then of course cruising on Oceania Riviera!!

Jancruz1

For those that know Tim from Oceania you might be interested to know he is now a principle in a new cruise line that will be sailing on the Mississippi in spring of 2012 called Great American Steamship Company..I, for one, am looking forward to trying the American Queen (their first ship) for a different kind of experience..and then of course cruising on Oceania Riviera!!

Jancruz1

Welcome Home. Jan. Hope you had a great cruise:)

Jancruz1

Hi Jan,

Do you mean Great American SetamBOAT Company?:confused:

Hi Jan,

Do you mean Great American SetamBOAT Company?:confused:

Whoops shows what I have to learn yet about SteamBOATS!!

Aknitter..it was a great trip except for the fact it rained for the first 10 days..that put kind of a damper on it (sic)

Thanks,

Jancruz1

We will miss Tim being at Oceania, but he is sure to bring big success to American Steamboat

Stan and I are always saying that we should do more vacationing in the United States, and now we will have the opportunity to put our money where our mouths are. :D

rivers.gif So many Rivers, so little time ;)

Tim is very excited about this new opportunity in his words:

"we are reviving the big steamboat trade in the U.S. We just purchased the American Queen (biggest riverboat in the world) and will have her back in service on the Mississippi next spring. So, we have a lot of hard work ahead of us but I miss the scrappy, entrepreneurial business model and I get to work with some friends and colleagues whom I have known for many years. In many ways, it feels like the start up of Oceania all over again. And that’s a great thing!"

Best of luck & skill to Tim, thanks for wonderful Oceania and Prestige Cruise holdings service.

I hope my post doesn't end this thread because that seems to be the norm for me on this partcular board. It sounds like the veterans on this board think highly of Tim, so that may be a positive development for the Great American Steamboat Company.

We cruised on the Delta Queen in 2004 (Memphis to New Orleans) and the American Queen in 2007 (St. Louis to St. Paul). We loved both cruises and were very sad when Majestic America went out of business. The Delta Queen was a gem; thank goodness it found a home as a floating hotel. The American Queen was also delightful (we went with my late Father, who was 93 at the time).

Now we can look forward to finishing the Mississippi (Memphis to St. Louis) and hopefully also see the Ohio river. American Cruise Lines is building a brand-new sternwheeler that also debuts on the Mississippi next year.

Now the O/T question for Bruin Steve: How was your cruise? We are booked on a nearly identical itinerary next year (Continental Connoisseur). Are you planning to write a review? We depart Saturday on Marina on the Jewels of the Aegean, so we're eager to hear as much as possible.

• 1 year later...

According to Tim's Facebook page he is leaving Memphis and returning to Ft. Lauderdale where he will be a cruise industry consultant. Too bad things didn't quite work out in Memphis for Tim. Hopefully though, he will take with him the arrogant VP of Hotel Operations/Hotel Manager that Tim brought over from Oceania Cruises. That guy had no idea of how to treat past steamboaters, fulfilling their high expectations, and judging from the extremely poor dinningroom service I experienced onboard the boat last fall, he had no clue how to get the best from his staff either.

Archived