Akaroa

doktor

check www.akaroa.com activities & tours tabs for options. There are plenty from 1/2 hr to full day. In addition there are buses & taxis available at the end of the wharf.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You may be asked questions about Akaroa when others on this board realise that you live in Akaroa.

Hi Mrs Whiskas

Hoping you can provide some advice. I would like to do the Lion Experience at Orana Wildlife Park in Christchurch. It finishes at about 3pm so to get back to the boat by 5:30pm in Akaroa, I think we would need to have hired a car. Do you know where I might be able to hire a car that I don't have to drop off in Christchurch. Or are you aware of any other ways I might be able to get back to the boat. Thank you so much for your help!

Jo

Hi Jo

There are no cars for hire from Akaroa but there are several taxis & buses available at the wharf. http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/777/menuid/17/tempidx/418/link/1

This link has several options. If you can't find one to suit let me know & I'll see what I can find out from other charter companies.

Have a fun time

Mrs W

That would be a pleasure & thanks for the welcome. If I can be of any assistance please just ask.:)

Could I just add that it would be most helpful if, included in any enquiry are the date, the ship, & the number of people the enquiry relates to. With about 80 ships due in Akaroa Harbour this summer & sometimes 2 per day, it is a little difficult to offer specific advice without such detail. Thanks from Mrs W

Yes, a lot are now going from Akaroa. We have just booked one that does the bays surrounding Akaroa, with time left for the town itself. The www.akaroa.com site I mentioned before has quite a few tours listed under their transport section. I didn't have any trouble booking ours, and there are two ships in town that day, with the other ship having had Akaroa as a destination months before us. It is beautiful in that part of the world. We love it.

Jen

Hi, We are sailing on the Century in December and looking at a couple of boat trips , which one have you booked, we are wanting one for a few hours leaving time for the town as well. I have come across two but can't really find any reviews on them, one is akaroa seaventures and the other is coast up close.

Hi, We are sailing on the Century in December and looking at a couple of boat trips , which one have you booked, we are wanting one for a few hours leaving time for the town as well. I have come across two but can't really find any reviews on them, one is akaroa seaventures and the other is coast up close.

I can thoroughly recommend Coast up Close (they have a Facebook page with great pics). Mr Whiskers & I have been on this trip & loved it. Haven't done the other one so can't comment. Hope that helps.:)

Greetings,

I've booked an alternate harbour cruise with:

http://www.akaroadolphins.co.nz/cruises.html

See my post #4 for more info...

We also booked with that trip it sounded like it was not masive numbers and would give a good overview of the area by water.( Akora dolpins)My son is doing the kayaking at the same time (burr too cold for me).

We are on the Oceania Regatta and will be in Akaroa on March 3rd. We booked a ships excursion for the TRanzalpine Express. Its a long excursion almost 9 hrs. Has anyone done this before? Is there aside of the train to get a better view we should sit on?

I can thoroughly recommend Coast up Close (they have a Facebook page with great pics). Mr Whiskers & I have been on this trip & loved it. Haven't done the other one so can't comment. Hope that helps.:)

Mr and Mrs. Whiskers sound wonderful , I love the name, thanks for your help, now I have to decide between Coast up Close and the other one people have just mentioned, it all gets so hard to choose when there is so much to see.

This looks to be the only one in town. It is of the pier:

http://www.bay.tv/akaroa-webcam,2927

The Satellite view of Akaroa Harbour on Google Maps used to show a cruise ship (Volendaam I think) with a number of tenders plying between the ship and the pier.

Unfortunately they have updated the view and no cruise ships are shown...maybe next update

cheers

This looks to be the only one in town. It is of the pier:

http://www.bay.tv/akaroa-webcam,2927

The Satellite view of Akaroa Harbour on Google Maps used to show a cruise ship (Volendaam I think) with a number of tenders plying between the ship and the pier.

Unfortunately they have updated the view and no cruise ships are shown...maybe next update

cheers

Flipper that view is down Dalys Wharf which is at the northern end of town. It's pretty but not the main wharf where the tenders come in & too far north to see the ships which moore to the south. cheers

Mr and Mrs. Whiskers sound wonderful , I love the name, thanks for your help, now I have to decide between Coast up Close and the other one people have just mentioned, it all gets so hard to choose when there is so much to see.

Depends how many people you want to go with & what type of boat. All the trips are good. Coast up Close is a refurbished lovely old launch that takes it quietly whereas Akaroa Dolphins is a larger modern faster vessel with more people. Both good, just different & depends what you like. Have fun choosing. Either way I'm sure you'll love it.:)

We are on the Oceania Regatta and will be in Akaroa on March 3rd. We booked a ships excursion for the TRanzalpine Express. Its a long excursion almost 9 hrs. Has anyone done this before? Is there aside of the train to get a better view we should sit on?

I'd suggest the right side (facing fwd) on the way to Greymouth. http://www.seat61.com/TranzAlpine.htm#on board the Tranz-Alpine.. for some tips :) have fun. It will be a long but spectacular day.

Archived