Scuba info for a newbie

pinkie1

Hi! I want to get some information about getting scuba certified. I know that cruise excursions have the Discover Scuba option and that doesn't give you the certification. That is not what I'm looking for.

A friend told me that you have an 8 hour class or book to study upon and 4 open water dives to be certified. Do cruise lines usually offer the class and the dives? And is there a time limit to get all those 4 dives in (i.e. within 2yrs or something)?

I was planning a B2B southern Caribbean cruise with lots of opportunity for dives but now we're having to change plans and will go on a partial Panama Canal/S Caribbean cruise visiting the ABC islands. I think there is only 1-2 chances for dives on a ship excursion for the ABC islands.

As you can tell I know nothing about Scuba and ANY info would be great, such as "how do I start???"

Huge thanks!

Hi Pinkie,

You are right, the Discover Scuba does not give you certification, but it will count towards open water certification for up to one year if you do decide to proceed with the scuba training...

PADI open water training consists of theory (book work), pool sessions, and 4 open water dives. How you complete these steps is up to you and there are many options. You can do the theory on-line through PADI.com, spend a weekend at your local dive shop doing the pool portions, and then complete the open water dives while on a cruise if the dive shop at the port is willing to do them. This will take some planning and commitment from both yourself and certifiying shops you are dealing with.

I see that you are in So.Cal and for this reason, I would suggest that you do all of the PADI certification with a dive shop close to you before you leave. Assuming you have at least a month before the cruise, phone up some dive shops and see what they offer. Then use the cruise to experience the dive world with your new certifications! IMHO, you get much better service, comprehensive learning, and usable results when you do the certification all together, at the same time with one outfit. Doing it on the cruise is like passing an english course with only Coles notes!

Hope this helps.

Dawn

So if I did the DSD in April and now I'm going to do the OW class does the DSD count as an additional OW dive? I'm not sure how it helps are my local shop does a weekend OW class with 4 dives. Would the DSD just count as an extra dive for my log book. Thanks for any input.

SailawayKC- are you hijacking this thread?;)

I'm just kidding. You do bring up a good question.

Dawnvip- don't most cruise lines offer a SCUBA OW with instructor or do I need to have an instructor from the port dive shop for the OW dives?

SailawayKC- are you hijacking this thread?;)

I'm just kidding. You do bring up a good question.

Dawnvip- don't most cruise lines offer a SCUBA OW with instructor or do I need to have an instructor from the port dive shop for the OW dives?

I think (and I could be wrong) that most of the cruise lines offer the PADI Scuba Diver course rather than the Open Water course. Scuba Diver is the resort course that many all-inclusives offer as well. Its like I said earlier - the "Coles Notes" version of the Open Water course.

You could do the theory and pool sessions for the Open Water course at home and then have the cruise ship set up the 4 open water dives. This is called a referral. Gets you most of the way through the program with only the 4 dives left. There are still practical tests you have to do during these dives like take your mask off, do a controlled ascent, etc. but if time is short I would recommend this over the resort course offered on the boat.

Hi pinkie,

I'm a PADI Divemaster and DSD Leader. So I can tell you how PADI works. I believe this should work for you since most cruise ships use PADI Instructors.

There is Discover Scuba Diving or DSD. This is an introduction to scuba diving. In areas where open water is not the most pleasant they do everything in a pool. In the Caribbean you'll find a lot of places which do the DSD in open water because the conditions are much better. You can use the DSD dive as part of your Open Water certification but this might be doing yourself a disservice. It is at the instructor's discretion as to what you learn in DSD. Some students are naturals and I teach them mask recovery, regulator recovery and buoyancy control. These are three skills you need to master for Open Water certification. If students aren't mastering these skills right away I don't spend a lot of time on it because I know I'll go over it again in Open Water, if they decided to go on.

Basically, I tell the students you really want to do the full Open Water certification and not cut any corners, even if the PADI rules allow it.

There is Scuba Diver. This isn't quite a full Open Water Diver. It doesn't give you all the skills and requires you to always dive with a Divemaster or Instructor.

Open Water (OW) Diver is the first level of independent scuba diver. If you get this certification you are qualified to go diving on your own.

For OW, you need to do class work, pool work and open water skills assessment. The class work can be done at a PADI shop or online. If you do it online at http://www.padi.com you will pick a shop to do the pool work. So you might want to check out the shops in your area and see which one you like. Ask to meet the instructor. Learning to dive is all about getting the right instructor.

You can find local PADI shops by going to the PADI website and using the shop locator.

For the open water skills assessment you will have to perform 20 skills you learned in the pool. It will take 4 dives and at least 2 days (PADI rules). Most places do 2 dives per day. If you do it at the shop you did the pool work with, they will handle everything. If you want to do the open water work in the Caribbean you can ask the shop for a referral letter.

If the cruise ship has an instructor on board they usually have you book two 2 tank dive excursions. The instructor comes with you for each excursion. On the first excursion you do dive 1 and 2. On the second excursion you do dive 3 and 4.

If you have trouble with any of the skills at my shop (in Canada) you can arrange to try again on the next session. On a cruise you won't have the option. If you are passable, the instructor will pass you. If you want to practice more you will not have the opportunity.

If you never plan to dive locally, doing the open water skills in So.Cal. could be harder than you want things to be. But if you can dive in So.Cal. you will find diving in the Caribbean to be a lot easier.

If you have any more questions please feel free to post here.

I'm currently going through the PADI Open Water Diver training. I've completed the classroom part online, and do the pool next week, with the open water dives the week after.

I would recommend doing a traditional classroom setting if you've never had any scuba experience. I took scuba as a phys ed class in college 10 years ago with a NAUI instructor and never did my open water dives to finish certification, which is why I'm starting over. There aren't really any good ways to ask questions online if you're not clear on something, and the material comes at you fairly quickly.

I agree with the recommendation of getting certified before your cruise. My son and I took the PADI Open Water course and were certified the month before our cruise. We dove on 3 of our 4 ports and those were some of the most fun I have ever had. It's like diving into a National Geographic magazine.:D

While your Discover Scuba dive may count towards the first dive of your open water certification, I would not count on it, especially if you are being certified by a different shop than you take the DSD class. As scubadiver888 indicates, you may be doing yourself a disservice and I do not believe this would be a prudent course of action.

Except for the first dive, all of the OW certification dives require skills to be performed before taking a “tour” of the area. The first dive has no skills and is basically for the student to become comfortable in the new environment and begin to refine their buoyancy skills. This dive must be done with an instructor, whereas a “tour” can be taken with a divemaster. In my opinion, any good instructor should require that this dive be taken under their supervision, not only because of liability issues, but also for an initial evaluation of the students. Again, this is especially true if you are doing a referral for your check out dives.

I definitely wouldn’t count on your DSD dive counting towards certification and personally, I would not want it to. You will be a much better, well rounded, diver to take advantage of all the OW course has to offer you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, from what I'm reading in your post, the instructors on board an RCCL ship can and will certify me in the OW dives??? I'm finishing up my confined water and reading lessons today. I'm praying to the Scuba Gods that I'll pass everything.:rolleyes: Our instructor is very good, but also very strict. We're doing a B2B out of San Juan in February and I'd really like to qualify in those 2 weeks and maybe even get in a dive afterwards. :)

Thanks.

Mike!!

I think the general consensus is to get all of your certification dives out of the way before your cruise, if at all possible. This gives you and your instructor time to work through any issues you may have and work to make you a competent and confident diver BEFORE moving to a more limited training environmnent.

If you are lacking in some of your diving skills and can work through them BEFORE your cruise, you have time to do so. You may only need the 4 required open water dives to be certified, but what if you can't master the tasks after 4 dives? What if you need 6 dives and you only dive 4 on the ship? What if your instructor feels you need more pool time to address an issue you are encountering? You won't be nearly as adaptable, time and resource wise, on a cruise vs. going through your LDS through the completion of your certification.

Also, if your certs are completed BEFORE the cruise, then it allows you more time to enjoy the diving in the exotic location you are paying the big bucks to get a chance to dive.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Loved your 2 cents worth ;). I see what you're telling me and it would definitely be better with the instructors I've just finished with. And, BTW,(big drum roll here), I actually did pass the confined water and lessons just this very morning. But, their agenda was full and was not going to be taking anymore trips that I could get into BEFORE we left for our cruise in Feb. I'm hoping maybe some of the instructors on-board ship will have patience with an older guy like myself. I'm definitely playing the age card here. So, now it's just a waiting game and I'm able to go back to the dive shop and play on Sundays, which I might/will do every now and then, just to keep in practice. Thanks for the help and if you can think of anything I should know, I'm a sponge right now.;)

Mike

Loved your 2 cents worth ;). I see what you're telling me and it would definitely be better with the instructors I've just finished with. And, BTW,(big drum roll here), I actually did pass the confined water and lessons just this very morning. But, their agenda was full and was not going to be taking anymore trips that I could get into BEFORE we left for our cruise in Feb. I'm hoping maybe some of the instructors on-board ship will have patience with an older guy like myself. I'm definitely playing the age card here. So, now it's just a waiting game and I'm able to go back to the dive shop and play on Sundays, which I might/will do every now and then, just to keep in practice. Thanks for the help and if you can think of anything I should know, I'm a sponge right now.;)

Mike

Congrats on the tests! That's quite an accomplishment. We had a diver in our confined water training that didn't pass the pool section. He was on his second attempt, and just couldn't master the techiques, so it's definitely not a "gimme." You add in the people that would like to dive, but just can't get over the fear of trying, and it just adds to your accomplishment.

As far as RCCL, sounds like you are making the best of your situation, and I'm sure you will do fine. I wouldn't hesitate trying to get the rest of your cert dives while on your cruise. It sounds like your only alternative and that's the way I would handle it. If you can't get it done before hand, then you just can't do it.

I went on a RCCL a couple of years ago, (the Voyager of the Seas), and didn't find out until too late, but they were teaching scuba diving in the pool on the first day at sea. Then they would take you on excursions to work on your open water dives. I'm not sure how extensive or what the outcome was when you were finished, but I was shocked at how much time and training diving you could accumulate by the time you got off the ship. I wasn't certified at the time, and would've jumped at the chance I'd discovered this before it was too late. Not sure if the ship you're booked on has an option of pool diving, but it might be worth checking out if you need some refresher.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a plan, I wish you luck. You're going to really enjoy those Carribean waters. Like I've said before, I was like diving into a National Geographic magazine. ;)

Hopefully, from what I'm reading in your post, the instructors on board an RCCL ship can and will certify me in the OW dives??? I'm finishing up my confined water and reading lessons today. I'm praying to the Scuba Gods that I'll pass everything.:rolleyes: Our instructor is very good, but also very strict. We're doing a B2B out of San Juan in February and I'd really like to qualify in those 2 weeks and maybe even get in a dive afterwards. :)

Thanks.

Mike!!

Your best to check with RCCL. Call customer service and have them confirm that an Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) or higher will be available on your cruise. Things change from time to time. I know there was a period when Princess Cruises stopped having any scuba staff onboard. The activity coordinator (guy who organized golf, snorkelling, bus tours, etc.) just processed the paperwork. If anyone had questions about scuba, he'd email the dive operator at the port and have them answer the question. Bottom line, if you were on that cruise, there was no one on board to do your OW certification. None of the shops wanted to do half an open water certification. So you could not get certified on that cruise.

Same thing could happen on your cruise as well. You need to confirm there will be a OWSI on board the ship.

Thanks to both of you for your info. I indeed will call RCCL and see how they can accomodate me. I know I'll be nervous as hell doing the skills in OW for sure.

SailawayKC...........congrats on completing your OW dives, especially in that cloudy lake. That's where my class is heading but I couldn't get in. Waited too long.

Can you kind of give me an idea of what the instructors had you do on each dive so I can maybe practice a little?? I have access to a dive shop on Sundays and will definitely use it occassionally.

Mike!!

Your best to check with RCCL. Call customer service and have them confirm that an Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) or higher will be available on your cruise. Things change from time to time. I know there was a period when Princess Cruises stopped having any scuba staff onboard. The activity coordinator (guy who organized golf, snorkelling, bus tours, etc.) just processed the paperwork. If anyone had questions about scuba, he'd email the dive operator at the port and have them answer the question. Bottom line, if you were on that cruise, there was no one on board to do your OW certification. None of the shops wanted to do half an open water certification. So you could not get certified on that cruise.

Same thing could happen on your cruise as well. You need to confirm there will be a OWSI on board the ship.

I did check with RCCL and they do have OWDI on this ship. So, I think I'll be able to get some if not all of my 4 with them. I did get on PADI and look at St Croix(I heard that is some great diving there) and contacted a PADI shop and asked them if they could certify me, and they said they could take me out on a 2 1-tank dive, each about 30-60 minutes, do it all in about 4 hours, and all for $95 + $30 for my certification. I think that's a bargain. Trying to find out exactly what skills they seek so I can practice on them and keep sharp.

Mike

Almost everything is PADI today, but I was certified over 30 years ago under the NAUI training. Have seen too many resort course trainees get into troubles. 3 deaths, 4 got the bends and too many to count that really should never have been in the water!

Please do yourself a BIG FAVOR and take a full course. Mine, 30+ years ago was 4 hours a week (2 class room & 2 pool with 1 on 1 asst. trainer) for 12 weeks.

Once you have your "C" card - enjoy!

BTW, I will be in St. Croix for Thanksgiving and planning on diving and I'm in my mid 60's!

SC . . . . . . {8{)

I did check with RCCL and they do have OWDI on this ship. So, I think I'll be able to get some if not all of my 4 with them. I did get on PADI and look at St Croix(I heard that is some great diving there) and contacted a PADI shop and asked them if they could certify me, and they said they could take me out on a 2 1-tank dive, each about 30-60 minutes, do it all in about 4 hours, and all for $95 + $30 for my certification. I think that's a bargain. Trying to find out exactly what skills they seek so I can practice on them and keep sharp.

Mike

From the PADI Instructor's Manual:

• Conduct no more than three open water training dives in a single day, night or combination thereof.
  • PADI Scuba Diver: 2 open water dives.
  • Open Water Diver: 4 open water dives.

The shop in St. Croix can certify you as a PADI Scuba Diver but they need 2 days to certify you as a Open Water Diver. From the PADI Instructor's Manual:

The PADI Scuba Diver course is a subset of the Open Water Diver course. PADI Scuba Divers are trained to dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet. PADI Scuba Divers have more theoretical background and better developed water skills than Discover Scuba Diving participants, however, they are not qualified for independent diving.

There is no way any of the shops in any port would be able to certify you as a full Open Water Diver. A PADI Open Water Diver can dive independently or under the supervision of a non-PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor. They are also trained to dive to a maximum depth of 18 metres/60 feet.

If you want to be Open Water Diver certified, you would get the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor on the ship to accompany you on two shore excursions. On the first 2 tank scuba diving shore excursion, the instructor would conduct open water dives 1 and 2. On the second 2 tank scuba diving shore excursion, the instructor would conduct open water dives 3 and 4. At that point you would be certified.

You should be able to immediately book more scuba diving shore excursions and go diving without the instructor. The only thing stopping you would be if the instructor doesn't do the paperwork. I'm sure if you point out to the shore excursion desk that you would like to book more shore excursions but you need the instructor to finish his/her paperwork, they'd get right on him/her about it. The shore excursions must be on different days. You cannot book a morning 2 tank dive and an afternoon 2 tank dive.

Almost everything is PADI today, but I was certified over 30 years ago under the NAUI training. Have seen too many resort course trainees get into troubles. 3 deaths, 4 got the bends and too many to count that really should never have been in the water!

Please do yourself a BIG FAVOR and take a full course. Mine, 30+ years ago was 4 hours a week (2 class room & 2 pool with 1 on 1 asst. trainer) for 12 weeks.

Once you have your "C" card - enjoy!

BTW, I will be in St. Croix for Thanksgiving and planning on diving and I'm in my mid 60's!

SC . . . . . . {8{)

I guess maybe I'm misunderstanding you.....I absolutely did take a full course, albeit, over a weekend. Went in on Friday night, ALL day Saturday and most of the day Sunday. We were in the pool about 16 hrs total and then Sunday we did the paperwork(finals), which I was really worried about, but did OK on. I also, am in my 60's. What the hell prompted me to do this:confused:, I'll never know, LOL, but I'm having fun doing it.;)

Mike

Archived