Scuba info for a newbie

pinkie1

Way to go Big Red. I had a similar problem in our confined water classes. I just could not get the BCD off and back on. I ended up surfacing, throwing my mask and heading out the door, and one of the instructors talked me back in. I felt like a fool for causing a scene, but frustration is not one of my biggest friends. I sometimes wish I would have gone with the group to the muddy lake and gotten it over with, but sincerely, I'm not sure I could pass it there. I really do need the clear water. I'm somewhat claustophobic, so maybe that's it.

Mike, this is actually rather common. We weren't designed to breathe and work underwater. I have heard instructors say "Just breathe normally." Bah, there is nothing normal about breathing underwater. Everyone reacts differently but a lot of people have your reaction. How many years have you been breathing above water? The long you haven't been scuba diving the weirder it seems. Your brain is going to be whisper to you, "you shouldn't be here." You just have to put a little more effort in being self-aware and think through these new feelings. It does get easier but it takes a little effort at first.

Darrell, I did, indeed, use the PADI sight and the locate a dive shop and finally got an answer back from 1 out of 4. I think I'm only going to be able to do 2 of my 4 dives with them, then finish up on the cruise ship.

I have a question for you, Darrell. Is the certification for a "Scuba" diver different than for an "Open Water" diver?? I'm only going to be diving once, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky. If the scuba part is simpler, I would probably just stay with that and be happy for the time being. I know there's a 40' limit to depth, but I can't see myself wanting to go any deeper for awhile anyway.

The difference between PADI Open Water Diver and Scuba Diver are the effort required to get certified and the restrictions once you are.

With Open Water Diver you are required to demonstrate 20 skills over 4 open water dives. Because PADI restricts instructors to no more than 3 dives per day, it takes at least 2 days to complete the open water portion of the Open Water Diver course. Once you are certified as an Open Water Diver you have all the necessary skills to go diving on your own with any other certified Open Water Diver. You are taught all the skills necessary to plan your own dives, purchase and maintain all your own equipment, etc.

A lot of people are occasional divers. They will go to the Caribbean once or twice a year and do maybe 3 to 4 dives. They ALWAYS go on dive excursions or with a dive guide (Divemaster or higher). For them, Open Water Diver teaches them skills they will never use. They are more reliant on the dive guide to do things like plotting the route or researching sites which are within your dive limits.

For these 'vacation' divers, PADI created the Scuba Diver certification. There are less skills to learn (as the dive guide will take of the other skills) and only 2 open water dives are required. If you are going on a cruise, you will be in a different port every day. It is often difficult doing dives 1 and 2 with one instructor then dives 3 and 4 with another instructor. With PADI Scuba Diver you complete the training in one day with one instructor.

The upside to Scuba Diver:

• You only need one day for open water dives.
  • You don't learn skills you will never use as a vacation diver.
  • It is easier to get certified while on vacation, especially a cruise.

The downside:

• You cannot dive with a buddy, you always need to hire a dive guide.
  • The cost to upgrade to Open Water Diver is often the same as going straight for Open Water Diver.
  • You don't have the added safety of being self-reliant and really have to trust the dive guide to take care of you.

You have to dive with a dive master or instructor if you go with basic scuba instead of OW. Never understood the point of it really.

http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/diver-level-courses/view-all-padi-courses/scuba-diver/default.aspx

jt_83, some people will always dive with a dive guide. They like having someone take care of things like navigation, depth, local dangers, etc. If you are a certified Open Water Diver and I'm your guide, I'm going to assume you can take care of yourself. If you are a Scuba Diver, I'm going to take a little more effort and assume you always need me around.

For example, I was on a dive in Aruba. Overhead were glass bottom boats and vis was around 10 feet. One of the divers was putzing with his camera and not paying attention to his buoyancy. The guide saw him floating to the surface and went after him. Everyone else lost track of the guide. Here we were 60 feet underwater, 10 foot viz. During the briefing the guide told us which direction the wreck was. As an Open Water Diver, when I lost track of the guide I pulled out my compass and head for the wreck on my own.

I'm sure if our group was Scuba Divers (a) they wouldn't have had 22 divers to one guide, (b) the guide won't have spent the time to give us a detailed briefing, © the guide wouldn't have left us alone while he rescued the other diver, (d) they wouldn't have taken us to a site with overhead restrictions and poor visibility.

Mike,

I just got my C card last month in the green lake with 3-5 viz. Since I'm leaving this weekend on my cruise I went last Sunday to the pool to spend some time underwater. I ended up spending 1 1/2 working on buoyancy. Keep working on it and get your OW C card. If you want to grab coffee sometime to talk to another newbie let me know.

jt & scuba, Thank you both for the responses. I do believe, now knowing what it takes to become "scuba" certified, that that's what I'm going to do. I do realize, Darrell, that the cost to certify to ow is going to be costly, if/when I ever do it. Darrell, I'm an older guy(66) and not sure how many years I have in me to do this crazy stuff that I, all of a sudden, want to do. I'm even looking at another bike, a big boy. So, I think I'm fine letting dive masters and instructors lead me around and "take care of me". Wish you and I were closer...would love to dive with ya.

Sailaway, when you return from your cruise, I would love to have coffee with ya and have you tell me all about the dive(s). I plan on St Croix for sure in Feb. They tell me that's one of the best.

Mike!!

Check out The Dive Bus on Curacao, they have PADI courses that you could do while in port.

Hi EM. Took a look at the Dive Bus web site. Looks interesting, but I think I've pretty much made up my mind to just do the "scuba" certification and be done with it. Like I said, I'm an older guy, probably won't dive more than once, maybe twice a year. My better half hates all this, and for a totally different reason than what you might think. Of course she worries about something happening whilst out there, but she also complains about being left alone in the ports. We hang out a lot so I can see where she feels somewhat abandoned. We're going down to Ft Lauderdale in December and I'm going on down to Key Largo and get it done so I'll be actually qualified on-board ship. But thanks for the heads-up on that web site.

Mike

jt & scuba, Thank you both for the responses. I do believe, now knowing what it takes to become "scuba" certified, that that's what I'm going to do. I do realize, Darrell, that the cost to certify to ow is going to be costly, if/when I ever do it. Darrell, I'm an older guy(66) and not sure how many years I have in me to do this crazy stuff that I, all of a sudden, want to do. I'm even looking at another bike, a big boy. So, I think I'm fine letting dive masters and instructors lead me around and "take care of me". Wish you and I were closer...would love to dive with ya.

I think the oldest person I know to get certified was 88 years old. So if she can get certified at 88 you can do it at 66. ;)

We don't actually do PADI Scuba Diver in my area. Conditions are too rough. Most the divers at my shop are Rescue Diver or they get into technical diving. Lot of ships wrecks in my area. Most of them sank due to bad weather. I used to be a vacation diver then 5 years ago I decided I'd start diving here. I'm a Divemaster now.

First time diving here was a real adventure. Had a Rescue Diver call the dive because a storm rolled in. I surfaced to a clap of thunder. Boat got hit by lightning as we raced for shelter. :eek:

Sailaway, when you return from your cruise, I would love to have coffee with ya and have you tell me all about the dive(s). I plan on St Croix for sure in Feb. They tell me that's one of the best.

I know someone who was an instructor in St. Croix. It is a great place to go diving.

Check out The Dive Bus on Curacao, they have PADI courses that you could do while in port.

The Dive Bus is fairly north of the cruise ship ports. I've been diving with them. Mark and Suzy are a great couple to dive with. I think it would be a little rushed to do a course while on a cruise.

Hi EM. Took a look at the Dive Bus web site. Looks interesting, but I think I've pretty much made up my mind to just do the "scuba" certification and be done with it. Like I said, I'm an older guy, probably won't dive more than once, maybe twice a year. My better half hates all this, and for a totally different reason than what you might think. Of course she worries about something happening whilst out there, but she also complains about being left alone in the ports. We hang out a lot so I can see where she feels somewhat abandoned. We're going down to Ft Lauderdale in December and I'm going on down to Key Largo and get it done so I'll be actually qualified on-board ship. But thanks for the heads-up on that web site.

I just thought of something. I'm not sure if the cruise ship excursions are okay for Scuba Diver. You might want to check with the ships you are cruising on. It could even be that some port allow Scuba Diver and some require Open Water Diver.

If you can get in touch with someone in Key Largo, talk to them about trying for Open Water Diver but if it is too much effort, would it be possible to switch to Scuba Diver. This way, if you can do the full Open Water Diver you will be able to dive any where in the Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, been awhile since I've been on. Been busy trying to buy another bike and finally succeded last night.:D Also, been busy trying to find someone close, and that's the operative word here, around Ft Lauderdale to take me out and give me 2 dives. Here again, I've succeded in that endeavor also. We're going down on the 8th of Dec and I meet with him early on the 9th, and he said I'd be done by noon.:) So, went ahead and booked it and really looking forward to at least getting that far along. I'm thinking that even if the cruise ships don't go along with just "Scuba", that the ports won't give me any trouble. And believe me, I won't be going alone or venturing off by myself. I'll stick to the DM like glue, LOL.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what's happening since I've gotten so much help on here. Thanks for everything and I'll definitely keep y'all in the loop.;)

Mike

Archived