Seabourn's "house wines"

glenr

Marazul,

Sorry, I can't take credit for obtaining the wine list. It was someone else.

wripro - you are right. Flaming June credited you as the original poster. Given your previous posts and the quality of your remarks, I believed it. However, I went back to the original post and it was johnycruise who got the house wine list. All credit to him. But I am with you on the wines vs kids issue. But goodness gracious (or OMG to the youngsters)! Beringer White Zinfandel on Seabourn!!!! That is truly disgusting slop!

marazul

Marazul,

Sorry, I can't take credit for obtaining the wine list. It was someone else.

And Flaming_June, I have to disagree strongly. Despite the lesser quality of wines being poured imo Seabourn is still the best luxury line out there. Silversea has also cut back on its wine quality and lags behind Seabourn in so many other areas. It remains to be seen what kind of wine Crystal will serve when it becomes all inclusive. Would I prefer that Seabourn poured the same wines they did a few years ago? Of course. But I choose a cruise line for so many other reasons besides wine.

Personally, I'd gladly trade better wine for no kids.

No kids? Try Saga as a cruise line then. Or one of the P and O ships, Adonia, is also a kid free zone.

Marchanxiety, I would but I don't want plutonium in my soup! Imagine central casting for the movie "EasternPromises". Physical contact with staff leading to security being called into the dining room. Hairy guys wearing speedos wandering into 5pm trivia like marauding bears wondering where the afternoon tea cakes had gone in the observation room. Need I go on?

Marchanxiety, I would but I don't want plutonium in my soup! Imagine central casting for the movie "EasternPromises". Physical contact with staff leading to security being called into the dining room. Hairy guys wearing speedos wandering into 5pm trivia like marauding bears wondering where the afternoon tea cakes had gone in the observation room. Need I go on?

Sounds like an ... ermm ... interesting and sociologically educational experience :D

Not quite the experience you thought you'd signed up for on Seabourn but ...

Marazul

I did in fact credit Jonnycruise as the original poster - never mentioned wripro at all - perhaps its just a case of chinese whispers, or perhaps a case of Puligny Montrachet (hic!).

Wripro - there was a touch of tongue in cheek/satire/irony in my post -. It is probably below the belt to class SB with Ryanair (or Lyinair, as we call them round here), though Seattle Head Office could teach them a thing or two.

It is true that the quality of included wines is very poor and strikes a false and discordant note. Almost everyone who posts here has had such enjoyable experiences aboard the six ships. SB is such a gem in many ways that no one wants to see standards slip. Many of the critical posts here are all about trying to make sure that the essence of what make SB so great is preserved and protected.

I suspect that you, like me, do not chose to sail on SB because of the wine. I can drink good quality wine (or at least wine I like) at home, any time. My wife and I would rarely drink a whole bottle between us at dinner, so we order by the glass and as long as the stuff is not fetid, corked or vinegar we will get by. I too would put up with the current wine list as long as all the other superlative aspects of the SB style are maintained.

But it is bordering on dishonesty, or sharp practice to claim that FINE wines are complimentary (though even this is relatve - they may well be fine to a hillbilly), and even sharper practice to then have waiting staff push the more expensive (outrageously so) booze. This, along with other worrying trends emanating from Seattle, strikesme as the thin end of the wedge. There is a sense that, as far as Seattle is concerned we are no longer welcome guests but rather PGUs (Profit Generation Units). It is not so evident on board..... yet.

Here's the other thing about wines. If you, like me, happen to enjoy a martini or two before dinner, it really makes little difference what wine you are drinking since your taste buds will have been sufficiently desensitized so that it's difficult to enjoy the true quality of a good wine. If I know I'm going to be drinking a good bottle I avoid the hard stuff first.

Here's the other thing about wines. If you, like me, happen to enjoy a martini or two before dinner, it really makes little difference what wine you are drinking since your taste buds will have been sufficiently desensitized so that it's difficult to enjoy the true quality of a good wine. If I know I'm going to be drinking a good bottle I avoid the hard stuff first.

Now that seems to be to be a very useful tactic - making the concept of the aperitif cocktail almost compulsory! I can live with that ;)

We were on a cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona a couple of years ago and white zinfandel was the only rose wine on the list. I spoke with the bar manager on the second day and asked him why there were no Cotes de Provence roses ... they are some of my favorites and would seem to be easily sourced along our route. The next day the bar manager procured several cases and when we got to our Spanish ports he would procure Spanish rose wines.

My opinion, is that the majority of Seabourn passengers are happy with the included wines. I acknowledge that a substantial minority (including myself) thinks they could be better. Seabourns appears to have made a calculated decision to purchase cheaper wines, but the bar manager also seems to have discretion to fulfill special requests.

Cheers,

johnny

We were on a cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona a couple of years ago and white zinfandel was the only rose wine on the list. I spoke with the bar manager on the second day and asked him why there were no Cotes de Provence roses ... they are some of my favorites and would seem to be easily sourced along our route. The next day the bar manager procured several cases and when we got to our Spanish ports he would procure Spanish rose wines.

Glad to hear that. I love the Cotes de Provence roses and it would seem a crime not to have them on board on, at least, Med cruises. Many of them are really reasonably priced and should not overburden the "budget." Of course, if they want to serve Bandol or Bellet roses I would be at the head of the line to get them!

We shall be venturing on our first cruise on 24th Oct and opted for Seabourn for all the obvious reasons but also because we like good wines and on holiday do consume a fair amount!!! So have been rather dissapointed reading this thread. Can't believe the zinfandel, will they be offering Blue Nun and Black Tower next!!!

Also can someone tell me if you can have real champapne (not cava) by the glass as an aperitif or is the only complimentary champagne the bottle you get in your room on arrival.

Also can someone tell me if you can have real champapne (not cava) by the glass as an aperitif or is the only complimentary champagne the bottle you get in your room on arrival.

Worry not about the champagne. Nicholas Feuillatte is the brand served around the ship. There have been reports that prosecco has been served instead, but these are rare.

As I reported earleir, on our August Pride cruise there was no sign of a prosecco bottle anywhere -- just the Seabourn standard real french NF chamapgne.My take at present is that the wines vary greatly from cruise to cruise. But if this becomes the norm rather than exception I will be concerned. And yes, I take to heart what Lois/Don said about being careful how we approach this issue. Luckliy for us while there was Beringer white zin on board there was also the pleasant French Rose we drank at lunch. So as for myself I will not complain to Seabourn unless this trend continues on our next cruise.

Yes, you may bring as much wine onboard as you wish. I have never seen a corkage fee charged.

Host Dan

Perhaps I missed the answer to this question or perhaps I'm just confused. This will be our first TA cruise and we'd like to drink some nice wine. The wines on the wine list are not to our taste and so we'd like to ship a case of nice wine from California to Malaga. What is the best way to do this? Thanks.

Alan

Perhaps I missed the answer to this question or perhaps I'm just confused. This will be our first TA cruise and we'd like to drink some nice wine. The wines on the wine list are not to our taste and so we'd like to ship a case of nice wine from California to Malaga. What is the best way to do this? Thanks.

Alan

Not sure about shipping wine internationally. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Host Dan

I'll be buying a few bottles of wine in Malaga to take aboard for the Quest. Nov. Crossing ~I plan on purchasing the wine from the El Corte Ingles supermarket.

A few good Spanish reds are Pagode Carraovejas, Ardanza, 500 Monges and a less expensive Sierra Cantabria.

Happy Sailing

Martita B

I'll be buying a few bottles of wine in Malaga to take aboard for the Quest. Nov. Crossing ~I plan on purchasing the wine from the El Corte Ingles supermarket.

A few good Spanish reds are Pagode Carraovejas, Ardanza, 500 Monges and a less expensive Sierra Cantabria.

Happy Sailing

Martita B

Would that be where you would suggest getting the Spanish paprika and saffron???

Archived