Europe/Italy 2013??

• 4 weeks later...
I am looking for European cruise for summer of 2014 for my son HS graduation. I wonder if Carnival will have a new ship by 2014?

Right now there is nothing on order beyond the Breeze in 2012. They seem to be reinvesting in current ships rather than ordering new ones. It would be great if they continued to do Europe as it is on my bucket list.

Just a follow up question: Is it possible that Carnival would send a current ship of the fleet to conduct a European cruise itinerary (summer 2013) in lieu of not having a newly launched ship?

They've done that before, but not for a long time. The first time we planned to go to Europe they were going to send the Freedom then cancelled, so we booked the Liberty and they cancelled that.

Then we got on the Dream for her first voyage.

Right now there is nothing on order beyond the Breeze in 2012. They seem to be reinvesting in current ships rather than ordering new ones. It would be great if they continued to do Europe as it is on my bucket list.

You really need to do that NOW. I appreciate that they are upgrading the older ships, but I really did love the Mediterranean on both the Dream and the Magic. I'm trying to figure out how to get on the Breeze.

Just a follow up question: Is it possible that Carnival would send a current ship of the fleet to conduct a European cruise itinerary (summer 2013) in lieu of not having a newly launched ship?

Absolutely. They have done so before. But it has to make economic sense for Carnival Cruise lines to do so. Carnival Corporation has a number of lines with European itineraries, e.g. HAL, Costa, and more.

Right now, I think they are more interested in selling Carnival Breeze cruises than what may or may not happen the following year.

OP why not branch out of your comfort zone? NCL has two ships in Europe, and one is the newer EPIC. With the 2 new builds coming out in 2013 & 2o14 there is speculation that one of them might do a European run as well.

Just my 2cents

Actually if you are a Carnival fan as I am and want to do a Med. cruise and either you prefer diferent ports than Magic or Breeze or want to go in 2013, check into Royal Caribbean. We did Eastern Med this past summer with RCCL's Navigator. We found that just as many before us has said, Carnival and RCCL cruises are really more similar than different. We were just as pleased with the Navigator as we were with the Triumph months earlier.

I will throw in that other cruise lines will sail year round in the Med. We did an Eastern Med cruise on NCL Jade this past January. The weather was fine, a little cool, but not bad at all. The ports were less crowded and the price was very reasonable. We had a suite on the Jade for about the same price that we payed for a Spa Balcony on the Magic 4 months later (both were 12 day cruises). Plus, air was a lot cheaper since it was off season. I would do it again with no hesitation. We visited two places on both trips (Barcelona and Rome) and it was interesting to see the differences in crowds, etc.

Personally, I wish they would send a ship over to do a Northern Europe route (Baltics). I would jump on that immediately. I will say that the Magic itinerary was amazing and easily my favorite cruise. If anyone is thinking of doing the Breeze then jump on it.

OP why not branch out of your comfort zone? NCL has two ships in Europe, and one is the newer EPIC. With the 2 new builds coming out in 2013 & 2o14 there is speculation that one of them might do a European run as well.

Just my 2cents

Thanks for your invaluable two-cents!

OP (Call me Shoto) has considered this as an option, however I am, as you can see below, somewhat loyal to Carnival and would just like to stick with the line (if possible).

I've checked out Carnival's Costa line and they seem a bit more pricey so NCL looks like a better ($$) option (right now).

Again, this is for our 30th Wedding Anniversary (2013) so I'm keeping my options open yet hoping that Carnival may include a European itinerary; fortunately I still have several months to go before I will need to book.

Thanks (all) again!

• 1 year later...

Hi Shoto. My wife and I are going on the Legend on May 28 from Venice around Italy to Barcelona. We are also celebrating our 30th anniversary. (only our 4th cruise). First time to Europe.

Do you have a cruise booked yet?

Thanks for your invaluable two-cents!

OP (Call me Shoto) has considered this as an option, however I am, as you can see below, somewhat loyal to Carnival and would just like to stick with the line (if possible).

I've checked out Carnival's Costa line and they seem a bit more pricey so NCL looks like a better ($$) option (right now).

Again, this is for our 30th Wedding Anniversary (2013) so I'm keeping my options open yet hoping that Carnival may include a European itinerary; fortunately I still have several months to go before I will need to book.

Thanks (all) again!

Hi Shoto. My wife and I are going on the Legend on May 28 from Venice around Italy to Barcelona. We are also celebrating our 30th anniversary. (only our 4th cruise). First time to Europe.

Hi EldonVerona,

Come join the roll call for the May 28, 2013 sailing of the Legend http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1602506

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary (a few months early) on this cruise!

Eldon - the original posts were from 2011, so you'll probably not get an answer. But I'll be on that same cruise on May 28 as you.

Come join the roll call, and chat with us all.

...Eldon - the original posts were from 2011, so you'll probably not get an answer...

Oh ye of little faith - here I am! :rolleyes:

Yes, I/We are sailing on LEGEND on the May 4th 2013 cruise. I guess I started planning this trip back in 2011 and had to wait until Feb 2012 to book; I was the first!!! :)

It has been a looong time from the initial planning stages, to booking, and now we are only a few days (44) from sailing! :D

Archived