Is tipping the maitre d a standard practice in land bound restaurants?

Bevv

I'm not sure what you think a Maitre D' is, but every single restaurant that seats customers has one (or more).

Here's a description from Wikipedia:

it is the person in charge of assigning customers to tables and dividing the dining area into areas of responsibility for the various servers on duty. …. The maître d'hôtel may also be the person who receives and records reservations for dining, as well as dealing with any customer complaints….. In small restaurants, the post might also be known as the headwaiter or host. … the position may be a part of the role of a manager or supervisor in charge of the "front of the house" operations.

And I don't get your story. Were you being complimented by other guests who wanted to tell you how splendid they thought it was that you tipped the head waiter?

Wow really............every single restaurant that serves people have a maitre d.........lol! Try a general manager that does not receive tips....

I want to preface this comment by saying I've only cruised twice, so far, and come from a country where tipping is not standard practice. I do though travel with Americans, am well traveled and well read so it's not often I "get it wrong".

I was a bit gob-smacked on both Splendor and Triumph to have both more than one announcement and a bit in the Compass telling me it was "customary" to tip. Then to find an envelope in the cabin with his name on it. If it is in fact so "customary" why do we need to be reminded?

On The Splendor the only night we actually saw the Maitre'D was on the last night at the entrance to the MD standing there to collect his envelopes. Bad taste. On The Triumph he did visit our table each night to see if everything was OK - but I really, really, wish he hadn't felt it necessary to stand with his hands on the back of my chair - every night.

I don't tip the Captain, the CD, the head engineer, the navigator, the hotel director or any other officer, they are being paid a good salary to do their jobs. I have always tipped the room steward and our wait staff over and above the daily tips, and will continue to do so. I'll tip the Maitre'D on either the day I make some request that is well above and beyond his job description or the day my butt no longer points downwards. :D

Bravo!

Archived