Great American Steamboat Company

Jancruz

D rooms have more space inside than E rooms, have a bathtub, and a bay window. Except for the handicap accessable D rooms, they do not have access to an outside deck. Some of the bays have a padded seat waist high at the base of the bay to sit down on and enjoy the view. Other of the bays extend all the way to the floor. The room size is 190 sq ft. Most E rooms are 141 sq ft, have showers instead of a tub, and their doors are to the public deck (called the guard on a steamboat).

Thanks for the explanation

I also had a lot of questions about cabins. Obviously I haven't sailed on her yet, but I did get some answers.

Category A is the only category that has completely private verandas. Categories LS, AAA, AA, B, C, and E all open to the various outer decks. Categories A, D and all inside cabins are the only ones that interior doors; all others exit to the various outer decks.

Category D, of course, is the only one akin to what is termed "Ocean View" on sea-going cruise ships. In contrast, however, the bay windows apparently provide a unie view.

One change that was mentioned to me that Great American is making as opposed to the previous configuration is some sort of a small partition between cabins that open to the outer decks, making them sort of "semi-private". They will still be shared with the promenade deck areas, but as was told to me, "steamboats are very social boats", therefore I'm assuming that the open deck areas are considered an advantage.

My question (to a GASC officer with whom I have a prior friendship) was, "Which cabin has the biggest bang for the buck, taking into account that we will never book an inside?" The answer is, of course, just one person's opinion, but was one of the category E cabins with low numbers -- cabins E301 through 305 are apparently very slightly larger than the other E cabins. Accordingly, we booked E301 for our August 30 cruise. It has the added advantage of being right next to the Front Porch.

Thank you for that info. Think I'll opt for a D category (only $100 more pp). I sort of surmised size was the factor.

Can a scooter be used in a non-accessible room or is there a lip we would need to deal with? How about the rest of the boat (ship?)? We can manage with just a wheelchair so it's not a major issue.

We've wanted to do this for sometime now so we are excited that the American Queen is up and running again. We will probably go in April unless someone says that's a terrible time to do RT New Orleans.

April is a fantastic time to visit New Orleans and the Old South. June, July and August can be another story unless heat and excessive humidity are your cup of tea. I would leave the scooter at home and use a wheel chair. The U.S. Coast Guard requires raised thresholds, the boat is not that big, and the hallways are narrow. Also the two passenger elevators onboard are rather small. And she is a steamboat; she is not a ship. Majestic American Line, the last company to run her, called all of their boats ships, and they were such bad stewards of the steamboats only the AMERICAN QUEEN will be running again in the near future.

My question (to a GASC officer with whom I have a prior friendship) was, "Which cabin has the biggest bang for the buck, taking into account that we will never book an inside?" The answer is, of course, just one person's opinion, but was one of the category E cabins with low numbers -- cabins E301 through 305 are apparently very slightly larger than the other E cabins. Accordingly, we booked E301 for our August 30 cruise. It has the added advantage of being right next to the Front Porch.

Room 301 is larger than the other E rooms and has a bath tub rather than just a shower.

The two LS rooms on the Texas deck have private balconies overlooking the wheel. But those rooms can be quite noisy with a lot of vibration if for some reason they have to work the boat hard.

May not be able to do April. Have enough H&H here in FL. What's this time of year like? The trip we're looking at goes over Thanksgiving next year.

Thanks for the cabin info. Will try and book 301 or 302. Looks like they are identical.

I know she is a steamboat. I covered all bases. Too many on the other boards get blasted for calling ships boats and vice versa. Hope we get to see this beautiful boat. We're working on it. First have to get our Jan cruise out of the way

May not be able to do April. Have enough H&H here in FL. What's this time of year like? The trip we're looking at goes over Thanksgiving next year.

I do not think it gets too cool there anytime ;)

You can check the weather for the cities on the route @

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:70112.1.99999

Scroll down & you can change the month

Room 301 is larger than the other E rooms and has a bath tub rather than just a shower.

Is that a tub and a shower, or just a tub with a shower? It makes a big difference to me -- I hate tubs; haven't had a bath in something like 60 years. Also, while we are still reasonably flexible at age 71, we really don't like climbing over a tub wall to take a shower.

Thanks for the added info on the LS suites...

During November 1983 I was a Watchman on the DELTA QUEEN. We were running mostly in the New Orleans to Natchez trade, but we did get up to Vicksburg once. I remember the days being sunny and warm (upper 50s lower 60s), but at night the decks would frost and become quite slippery.

Is that a tub and a shower, or just a tub with a shower? It makes a big difference to me -- I hate tubs; haven't had a bath in something like 60 years. Also, while we are still reasonably flexible at age 71, we really don't like climbing over a tub wall to take a shower.

Don

Maybe GASC needs to provide more info on the cabins EG sq footage

;)

Lyn

Thanks for the added info on the LS suites...

The bath room would have a tub with a shower head, so you would have to climb over the tub in 301. There is a tub with a shower head in the rooms 301 to 306.

I was told that 301 through 306 are a little larger than the other E cabins; is it possible that all or most of the additional space is used by the tub, or is there some additional space in the rest of the cabin?

Also, on the deck plans, I see something like a box on the outer edge of the deck opposite the entrance door to 301. Do you know what this is, and does it obstruct the view?

The room itself will be larger along with the bathroom being larger in rooms 301 to 306 also. There is a stairway to the deck above right outside of 301's door, and it would somewhat obstruct the view. Those rooms were classified as B category rooms when she came out in 1995. Rooms 307 and higher were less roomy C category rooms with showers only.

Thanks! You're a fountain of information. I hope we get to sail together some day. I never got a chance to go steamboating before, although it's been a life-long dream since I was raised on the banks of the Ohio River just outside Pittsburgh.

Thanks! You're a fountain of information. I hope we get to sail together some day. I never got a chance to go steamboating before, although it's been a life-long dream since I was raised on the banks of the Ohio River just outside Pittsburgh.

Thanks! I've been around steamboats for my entire life. My father was a licensed chief marine engineer for steam and I too have worked on steamboats. For the past few years, I've been enjoying the tradition and history found on Cunard's ships, but next year it's back to my first love steamboatin'!

When we went on her back in 1998, we were fortunate to get a 2 for 1 special - PLUS we received 2 upgrades before we left! Would love to get THAT deal again!

We were in cabin #534 (not sure if the configurations have changed since), which was a "veranda" room - a few rooms down from the calliope and bar. It had a window plus the French doors opened up onto the deck. There were patio chairs outside our room by the railing, where we could put up our feet and read or watch the river go by.

And yes, it was a social experience. Almost everyone that walked by, stopped to chat. With only a few hundred guests on the boat, it was not a constant stream of people walking by. Our next door cabin mates were from England and we have remained life-long friends, sharing several vacations since.

It is definitely a trip we are looking to book again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
When we went on her back in 1998, we were fortunate to get a 2 for 1 special - PLUS we received 2 upgrades before we left! Would love to get THAT deal again!

We were in cabin #sure if the configurations have changed since), which was a "veranda" room - a few rooms down from the calliope and bar.534. Our next door cabin mates were from England and we have remained life-long friends, sharing several vacations since.

It is definitely a trip we are looking to book again in the future.

Okay I just gotta know the green :D color makes me think green lights. When are you destined for the Great American Steamboat Company? Will you repeat again and have your friends from the UK? I just find you awe inspiring and you have sailed HAL with us before. :cool: By the way I posted a link earlier for the canin configurations that have been updated.

• 1 month later...
i realize we are not allowed to state the specific ta, but my question still stands.

Does anyone know of any online travel agencies that are booking the american queen.

Could be answered with a simple "yes, we found one".

yes

While looking at an online TA website for American Queen were you able to see what cabins are available? Or is it more of they need to phone Great American Steamboat Company to find out? I just do not like phoning TA or cruise company until I am ready to actually book the cruise and know what catagory and/or cabin we want.

Thanks for the information.

While looking at an online TA website for American Queen were you able to see what cabins are available? Or is it more of they need to phone Great American Steamboat Company to find out? I just do not like phoning TA or cruise company until I am ready to actually book the cruise and know what catagory and/or cabin we want.

Thanks for the information.

You have to call

I am so excited about this option to sail the rivers. First sailing is April 13 and is almost full. The REAL inaugural sailing with all the fanfare is actually the 3rd sailing on April 27 starting in Memphis - Cincinati. Memphis is the home base for the cruise line so I assume this is the reason.

I have been to a number of seminars and been trained about the experience. They are pumping big money into the ship to bring it up to a five star experience. We were introduced to their executive chef and their wonderful menus.

Each cruise includes a pre night hotel at a 4 or 5 star property. Really exciting to see this product from the get go to the launch. One of the the powers behind this is Jeff Krida, an old Cruise West VP who left years ago to explore different parts of the travel business. GASC is his baby.

Archived