Great American Steamboat Company

Jancruz

Hi to anyone booked on April 13th,

Roger and I are looking forward to this cruise. We live in NJ and have never been in New Orleans...so we are joining you on this adventure. We are driving to New Orleans and will spend two days there - one before and one after. Bev

• 3 weeks later...

I have wanted to do this for such a long time. I have a great deal of this country, but for some reason have never been to any of the small towns along the Mississippi. I can't wait to be transported (metaphorically and literally) to a to a time that seemed to be simpler, easier and more kind.

Since I did not see any reference to onboard gratuities on the GASC website or brochure, I sent a "contact us" form asking if the gratuities were included. We received an email from Sandra Ratzlaff: "Tips or gratuity are NOT included with the fare of the cruise. Our suggested amount is 14.50/per person/per day."

We cruise every year - usually with Celebrity - and the gratuity is $11.50 or $12.00/per person/per day, which certainly is expected since the pay is so low for international crews. Does anyone have any thoughts about this subject? Mine was that we are paying a lot more for our 6 night round trip New Orleans than our 12 night transatlantic last spring. Is GASC stiffing their staff?

We cruise every year - usually with Celebrity - and the gratuity is $11.50 or $12.00/per person/per day, which certainly is expected since the pay is so low for international crews. Does anyone have any thoughts about this subject? Mine was that we are paying a lot more for our 6 night round trip New Orleans than our 12 night transatlantic last spring. Is GASC stiffing their staff?

It seems to be a common amount for North American cruise lines

They do have to hire Americans & pay the wages for those positions by U.S. standards ...but I have no idea what the rates are

We went on another American cruise line & the suggested tip was $14 a day/pp (ocean cruises at that time were $10pppd)..at the end of the cruise we were given an envelope to put the tips in & drop in a box as we left the ship ..everyone of the crew got a share ..so we were told

Since I did not see any reference to onboard gratuities on the GASC website or brochure, I sent a "contact us" form asking if the gratuities were included. We received an email from Sandra Ratzlaff: "Tips or gratuity are NOT included with the fare of the cruise. Our suggested amount is 14.50/per person/per day."

Tips have never been included on the AMERICAN QUEEN, and the base wages for those crew that earn the bulk of their pay from tips is considerably higher than the foreign flagged blue water cruise ships. Also brown water American crews are on for six weeks and off two, which cost GASC more when compared to the six month contracts that foreign flagged ships offer their crew. When I was an unlicensed officer on the DELTA QUEEN the suggested gratuities were stipulated in the Seafarers International Union contract with The Delta Queen Steamboat Co..

In fact Cunard Line recently changed their registry from England to Burmuda to escape new English law mandating wage parity between third world crew members and those from the European Union.

• 4 weeks later...

Roger and I will be returning from the 6 night inaugural cruise the day that you will be boarding, so there is little time to share our experiences. We are looking forward to a wonderful time and an enthusiastic crew. If possible, I will try to post something here during our trip.

Roger and I will be returning from the 6 night inaugural cruise the day that you will be boarding, so there is little time to share our experiences. We are looking forward to a wonderful time and an enthusiastic crew. If possible, I will try to post something here during our trip.

There are a lot of folks that can't wait to find out how the trips offered by GASC are, so posting your impressions would be greatly appreciated by this scribe and others. Post the good and the bad, because GASC needs to know how to provide the best cruise vacations possible. If they fail in that, the death knell for overnight steamboatin' will have rung. Being the greatgrandson of a steamboat captain/owner, the son of a steamboat chief engineer, and having worked on steamboats myself, I don't want to hear that bell

There is probably a public library in Natchez, Vicksburg or St. Francisville where you could post from. I'm not sure if there will be wi-fi on the boat or not. There was not when she last operated.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on the Aug 9-21 cruise out of New Orleans.

I did call and was advised that wi-fi at no charge will be available on the boat.

We are doing the June 9th cruise, round trip from New Orleans. Good to know Wi-Fi is no cost. Any body know of the weather in that area is like in June?

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing the June 9th cruise, round trip from New Orleans. Good to know Wi-Fi is no cost. Any body know of the weather in that area is like in June?

We just got off the April 19th cruise. I can tell you WIFI is free although we were not always able to connect. But I can tell you we had a marvelous time. The boat is beautiful, the food outstanding,the staff went above and beyond what was expected. We were a family of 6 ages 85 to my Nephew who is 27. Trip not recommened for anyone under 40.

We had cabin 305 handicapped and it was plenty big enough,the bathroom was huge but only had a bath tub which was hard for my father who is a amputee to use, they did provide a shower chair but it was very unsteady. Other then that cabin was great,it was on an outside deck where we could sit outside our room and watch the River go by, people watch or just read. We also had cabin 309 it was an ok size but still small,but fine for sleeping. We also had 358 and inside cabin very small and had a bunk bed so it could sleep 3 people,although how you would get 3 people in there I have no idea, and since the cruise is all older adults I can't see anyone climbing onto that top bunk,we had them remove it by the second day as there was only 2 people in the cabin. If at all possible get an outside cabin.

Make sure you keep an eye on the front porch the Juggernauts a band that plays one night in the Grand Salon theatre had an impromptu band session one afternoon. I'm sure they will do it every cruise,it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Lot's more to report if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Happy Cruising

pamlh1,

Hmm, I was 28 yo on my first cruise aboard the Delta Queen and my DH turned 27 a couple of days later... Our DD was 18 months old on her first steamboat cruise (also Delta Queen). On our second cruise (3 years later, actually I´ve celebrated my 31st birthday onboard) the captain thought DH is the guy who´s repairing his radio. Gave us lots of laughter and an invitation to the Captain´s Table :D.

You can never be too old or too young for a steamboat cruise:D:D!!

I´m not a big party girl and like the kind of music they are playing. That´s just fine for me. And talking to much older people can be very interesting.

steamboats

Archived