good running routes

dodgersmom

Will be sailing on the Majesty and in Key West on 10/20.

Does anyone know of any good running trails/routes that are accessable right off the ship?

Maybe a hike-a-bike path near the beach.

Want to work off some of the cruise weight before getting home!

• 3 weeks later...

The ship will dock right in town with people, cars, bikes, trolleys and no place to run except in the street. The only really nice place is to run the seawall along South Roosevelt. It starts at Smathers Beach and goes about 2 miles. It's a 2 mile walk to get there or you can take a taxi or pedi-cab. If you do choose to run in town, be extra careful for uneven sidewalks and cars.

I do a 30 minute walk, 45 minute run, 30 minute walk each morning in Key west. You can do this by beginning at the end of Whitehead all the way to South street, then across to Reynolds. At Reynolds, turn right then left and you are on Higgs Beach by the Casa Marina. This is about 30 - 35 minutes. The 45 minutes takes you along Higgs on Atlantic Blvd to Bertha where a right and a left takes you to Smathers. If you go to where the seawall begins and come back to where you began running, it's 45 minutes. Then the last 30 minutes, maybe up Simonton, takes you back to just past Duval.

There is a water fountain at Higgs and bathrooms at Higgs and Smathers, just in case. And be aware, it will probably be hotter and more humid than you are used to at home.

Pjk

Will be sailing on the Majesty and in Key West on 10/20.

Does anyone know of any good running trails/routes that are accessable right off the ship?

Maybe a hike-a-bike path near the beach.

Want to work off some of the cruise weight before getting home!

I did a slow easy 3 miles right off the ship last year, just turning right and keeping the ocean in site for most of it. I was the first off the ship around 7:30 and was back around 8:10. As mentioned, there were a few uneven sidewalks and other minor obstacles, but as an urban runner, I'm use to that. Things were pretty quiet at 7:30, but by 9am it would be much more difficult. I can't remember, I may have outlined my simple 5k course on walkjogrun.net

Archived