Newbie dining questions

Tetra

I'm a first timer, considering booking a 3-day on the Monarch. Never having cruised before, I'm a bit confused about how the dining works. Hope y'all don't mind answering a few general questions.

I understand that I'll likely be assigned a table and seating time in the MDR, unless I book late and will then have to use MyTime dining. If I do get an assigned table, since I'm cruising solo, will they likely seat me with other solo cruisers, or would I be stuck in wherever there's an empty seat?

How many people do they usually seat together?

If I don't like my assigned seating time, do I just make a MyTime reservation? How do they handle the seating then (who sits together/how many).

I'll probably only do the MDR one night, Windjammer and Jade the other two nights. Do I need to let anyone know I won't be in the MDR those nights?

Does the dress code for that night apply whether I'm in the MDR, Windjammer or Jade? Will I know in advance what the dress code will be so I can pack appropriately?

Thanks very much for the help!

If you don't do MTD (and I would recommend that you don't, if you wish to have tablemates!), then you will be in either Main (early) or late seating. The table sizes range from 2-12....they will seat you (hopefully) at a table with other lone sailors, but you may be with a couple of couples....no worries, tho...everyone is there for a good time, and you'll have cruising in common!

You should be able to request the seating that you'd prefer....if you are doing traditional, you can go to MTD, and vice versa....it's one or the other.

This shouldn't be a problem, since you say you'll only be in the dining room for 1 evening.

The dress code is for the dining room only....WJ is always casual, and any specialty restaurants are always "smart casual". Night 2 is the "formal" night in the dining room. The dress code is the same in the dining room, whether you do traditional or MTD. If you know at dinner the 1st night that you won't be there the rest of the time, it's polite to tell your tablemates, so they won't expect you (or think you didn't like them!!)...but you do NOT have to go out of your way to inform anyone of anything.

I'm a first timer, considering booking a 3-day on the Monarch. Never having cruised before, I'm a bit confused about how the dining works. Hope y'all don't mind answering a few general questions.

I understand that I'll likely be assigned a table and seating time in the MDR, unless I book late and will then have to use MyTime dining. If I do get an assigned table, since I'm cruising solo, will they likely seat me with other solo cruisers, or would I be stuck in wherever there's an empty seat? You can book MyTime even if fixed is available. When you come in, you can request to be seated with others. I'm not sure how you would be placed for fixed seating, but at least on longer cruises, they have a get together for singles.

How many people do they usually seat together? There are tables for 2, 4,6, 8 and 10.

If I don't like my assigned seating time, do I just make a MyTime reservation? How do they handle the seating then (who sits together/how many).

I'll probably only do the MDR one night, Windjammer and Jade the other two nights. Do I need to let anyone know I won't be in the MDR those nights? If you are at fixed dining, it would be polite to let the waiter and/or others at your table that you will not be coming. Otherwise, everyone may be delayed waiting for you.

Does the dress code for that night apply whether I'm in the MDR, Windjammer or Jade? Will I know in advance what the dress code will be so I can pack appropriately? Only in the MDR. There will be one formal night (and it isn't very "formal" on short cruises.

Thanks very much for the help!

See other comments above. I would suggest that you choose MyTime and ask to be seated at a large table the night you go to the MDR.

Thanks, all, for the helpful answers!

For some reason, I thought formal night was only on the longer cruises, and now I'm a bit concerned. I don't own any formal wear, and really don't have any interest in buying any. I certainly would do WJ or pizza that night and not go to the MDR but am I going to be horribly out of place in a sundress or a nice skirt and blouse if I want to do one of the evening theater shows, or go to one of the clubs to listen to music? Will everyone else be in cocktail dresses that night?

Thanks, all, for the helpful answers!

For some reason, I thought formal night was only on the longer cruises, and now I'm a bit concerned. I don't own any formal wear, and really don't have any interest in buying any. I certainly would do WJ or pizza that night and not go to the MDR but am I going to be horribly out of place in a sundress or a nice skirt and blouse if I want to do one of the evening theater shows, or go to one of the clubs to listen to music? Will everyone else be in cocktail dresses that night?

Many people dress as you described on formal night. The Monarch 3 night is particularly casual. And many who DO dress up for dinner, change afterwards.

You will be fine.

Many people dress as you described on formal night. The Monarch 3 night is particularly casual. And many who DO dress up for dinner, change afterwards.

You will be fine.

Ah, that's good news, thanks! :)

Archived