Haleakala sunrise tour

kato92

I'm in the process of investigating how best to see Maui in two days. I plan to rent a car and to include a drive to Haleakala for a sunrise viewing. Would someone please advise if this is a good plan or should I be thinking of doing a tour for this event (so someone else does the driving)? If I do drive, about how long will it take? Will it be crowded and therefore I should expect to have trouble parking if I don't arrive very early?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm in the process of investigating how best to see Maui in two days. I plan to rent a car and to include a drive to Haleakala for a sunrise viewing. Would someone please advise if this is a good plan or should I be thinking of doing a tour for this event (so someone else does the driving)? If I do drive, about how long will it take? Will it be crowded and therefore I should expect to have trouble parking if I don't arrive very early?

Thanks for your thoughts.

You need to get to Haleakala very early for sunrise to get the full effect of a sunrise from space & need to get there about 30-60 minutes before official sunrise (5:38 to 6:38). It begins with a little bit of a golden glow on the horizon & that sliver keeps expanding so be there from the start. After the sun has risen, it's not nearly as dramatic & just another sunrise above the clouds. I've driven there twice & once it was crystal clear without any moonlight to illuminate the area. I left the West Maui area (Lahaina) at 1:30am to get there in time for the sunrise. Another time there were high clouds & thus the experience wasn't quite as nice but still good. It's been awhile since I drove there but as I recall it took 2 1/2 hours to get there from the West Maui area.

But remember that it gets cold enough for snow on the summit during the winter so it's shockingly cold for a tropical island. Generally it's 3 degrees cooler per 1,000' so the 10,000' summit can be 30 degrees cooler. Thus if it's in the 60s at sea level, it can be in the 30s at the summit. The summit's parking lot is rather small (30 or so cars) & there is a glass enclosed viewing hut which is good to get out of the wind. You'll need plenty of warm clothes as windchill can get down into the 20s...burr! :eek:

Not too far from the summit there is a much larger parking lot but also a much smaller visitor's center to keep warm. It can be very crowded & when the parking lots are full they will close them.

They say it's the only place in the world to drive from sea level to 10,000 feet in such a short distance & warn those with heart problems about potential adverse affects from the elevation. It's not a bad drive as the road switchbacks up the hill & on the way back from the summit, stop in some turnouts for spectacular views.

Haleakala is a great experience...particularly for sunrise when the conditions are good...it's as close as I'll ever get to a sunrise from space. :D

There is a $10 fee per car but it may not be collected on the way up that early & they could charge you on the way back.

Here's their link to more info:

http://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/sunrise-and-sunset.htm

Archived