Just off Serenade - March 19-26

Day 1

Direct flight from Detroit to San Juan, arrived an hour late, at 3pm local, due to being short one flight attendant. Airport is under some construction and signage is not good. Luckily, right now there are only three luggage conveyors as there is no means of communicating which one your luggage will be on. We flew Northwest and our luggage showed up on the one marked AA/Continental, go figure. Taxi’s are abundant and cost is reasonable. Make sure to stop at the taxi kiosk and have them fill out a fare sheet prior to getting in a taxi. Our fare for 4 adults, 8 large bags and 4 carry-ons was $24.50.

Check in went very fast, we were on the ship within 15 minutes of arrival at the pier.

We had cabin 8594, the middle of the “hump”, excellent view fore and aft. Cabin felt narrower (difficult for two people to maneuver past each other in the “living” area) than the equivalent cabin on deck 8 of Voyager last year.

Day 2 – St Thomas

We did the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel for the second time. Just as good this time as before. Highly recommended.

Day 3 – St Martin

We did the America’s Cup Sailing Regatta. Got a chance to actually steer “Stars and Strips” for about 10 minutes. Highly recommended.

Day 4 – Antigua

We did the Tropical Delight Catamaran and Snorkel. Great time was had by all, the Captain prepares a great lunch on a barbeque grill on the stern while you snorkel (recommend you try his barbequed fish). Rum punch flowed the whole afternoon. Very highly recommended.

Day 5 – Barbados

We did the Thriller Ocean Tours arranged via the internet, thriller-ocean-tours@caribsurf.com. Good tour, saved money going direct, boat is old and tired but the Captain is pleasant and anchors close to where the action is.

Day 6 – St Lucia

Set up at snorkel trip with Dive Fair Helen via the internet, http://www.divefairhelen.com. Tour was scheduled to leave at 0845. We tendered at St Lucia, a surprise to all of us, caught a private boat from the cruise ship dock and paid them $2 pp to take us to the Dive Fair Helen dock. Got there on time. Then sat on the boat until 1030, we asked for our money back and left. The captain never showed up while we were there, they had no ice, water, or beverages on the boat. They asked us to fill out forms several times, told us to sit here, move here. Crew was rude and crude. Those that stayed on said the snorkeling was wonderful when they finally got out on the water. Several of the divers had problems with leaky equipment that cut their dives short. From our experience this tour company is not recommended.

Back on Serenade, the Captain took us on a tour past the Pitons on St Lucia after leaving port, very beautiful and we were very close to the mountains, helicopter pad on the bow was open to get a good view of the mountains and the sunset at the very same time.

Day 7 – Day at Sea

The Captain took us close to many islands on the sea day which made it very interesting, always something to see.

Day 8 – San Juan

Getting off the ship was relatively painless, usual line at customs, but went fast. We took the Old San Juan walking tour. We left our bags for Royal Caribbean to handle and they were there at the airport when we got there. Departing out of San Juan was a snap only drawback was that there are few seats in the departure area, we sat on the floor most of the time.

Serenade of the Seas is beautiful. The entire crew was friendly and cheerful. The new layout for the Windjammer is awesome! No lines to deal with at all, outdoor seating is the best. The food was good, with lots of variety, outdoor barbeque by the pool on the sea day was great. Chops was worth the price, good service, excellent bread, shrimp cocktail was better than in the main dinning room, crab cakes were some of the best I have had in recent years, large filet was perfectly cooked, very tender, but the flavor was lacking. Desserts were outstanding. The shows are getting a little tired, have seen most of them before. The “Drifters” need to be replaced, good couple of numbers, but show was less than 30 minutes.

sailrnav,

Have you been on any of the Voyager class ships? If so, how did this cruise compare?

Did you like having all the ports and only one sea day or would have preferred more sea days?

Which days are the formal evenings? What time were the early and late dinner seatings?

Who is the captain and the cruise director?

Did you stay in San Juan pre or post cruise?

Any idea why you had to tender in St. Lucia?

Did they have a smart casual night for any dinners?

I am also intersted in what you thought of only one sea day and if you have been on a Voyager class ship and how the two compared. I'm leaving on Serenade April 9 and still a little nervous about having chosen a Radiance class ship after two Voyagers.

Thanks for the review. We leave for San Juan on Thursday and then board the Serenade this coming Saturday. I need to get packing!

Ocean Boy: We have traveled on the Radiance and also the Voyager and Mariner. We loved them all for different reasons. The Radiance, although lacking in the Promenade, is luxurious and beautiful. We don't miss the Promenade at all...and since we don't ice or in-line skate we didn't miss them either. That being said we will be taking the kids (14 and 11) on the Serenade (they've only done Voyager class), so their opinions may differ.

Personally, I liked the Radiance class better.

Rose

My children, now ages 13 and 15, were bored on both the Radiance and the Brilliance. They LOVE the Voyager class ships. We also miss the Promenade a great deal on the Radiance class ships. Also there is no 24 hour place to eat except room service on the Radiance class and we find that room service is not always convenient, especially late at night.

The only reason we would even consider this cruise on the Serenade with our kids is because it is Southern Caribbean. But 5 port days seems like an awful lot to me... Who else has been on the Southern Caribbean Serenade sailing that can help?

Is it true, and I hope it is, that the Seaview Cafe is open until at least 1AM??

Cruislovin...

I see from your signiture that you have done Explorer twice. She is by far my favorite ship. I had the best week aboard her.... :)

And I, also, love the Royal Prominade. I hope I can make due without it.

Is it true, and I hope it is, that the Seaview Cafe is open until at least 1AM??

Cruislovin...

I see from your signiture that you have done Explorer twice. She is by far my favorite ship. I had the best week aboard her.... :)

And I, also, love the Royal Prominade. I hope I can make due without it.

I know Seaview was open until 1:00 AM but I am not sure if it was every night. In my opinion, the hours Seaview was open (at least on the Brilliance) were VERY limited. Be sure you go there - we thought the food was excellent, even better than Johnny Rockets. Plus they have a much wider selection of items on their menu AND there is no surcharge for the food like there is for Johnny Rockets!

I really missed the Promenade, especially the Promenade Cafe. There is a 24 hour beverage station outside the Windjammer on the Radiance class ships, but it's just not the same as the Promenade Cafe with the pizza, sandwiches, cookies and other desserts!!! We are Diamond C&A members now so I always got my coffee and capuccino from the concierge lounge instead.

Let me know what you think of the Serenade when you get back! We may be taking this cruise in a few months with some friends. We were on the 10th voyage of the Serenade out of NYC - she is a beauty, our favorite of the 3 Radiance class ships we have been on! Our favorite Voayger class ship so far is the Adventure. But they are all fantastic!

Have you been on any of the Voyager class ships? If so, how did this cruise compare? I personnally liked Serenade better than Voyager. But they each have their advantages. Entertainment was better on Voyager. Promenade was nice, but not my thing. Voyager always seemed crowded, we had a full ship on Serenade and did not feel overwhelmed at any time. Windjammer on Serenade is awesome, the food island concept really works well.

Did you like having all the ports and only one sea day or would have preferred more sea days? Would have preferred a sea day at the start to relax and just slow down. This route is very port intensive, we were beat by day 4.

Which days are the formal evenings? What time were the early and late dinner seatings? Monday and Thursday. 6pm early, late seating varied from 8pm to 9pm

Who is the captain and the cruise director? Steig Neilsen and Tim (something), we sailed with him on Enchantment several years ago. He is not too annoying.

Did you stay in San Juan pre or post cruise? No

Was the pool area overcrowded on the sea day? Were there any lounges available or was it just chaos? thanks for the quick review.

Pool area was pretty crowded, wife and I are not sun worshipper types so did not impact us at all. We found several quiet places to sit and read in the Solarium and deck chairs on Deck 5. The scenery was so great we wanted to have a good view of the sea all the time. The Captain sailed very close to all the islands on the sea day and provided an informative narrative about every island.

Thanks for the review, Sailrnav. My sister and I will be sailing on the Serenade this December! We, too, will be flying out of Detroit on Northwest direct to San Juan. My husband let us cash in some of his ff miles! Hope we don't encounter any delays as we'll be flying in December (beginning of December, though). Looking forward to a great cruise. Any comments on the spa? In particular the Thermal Suite? I read a review that the ts is $75 per couple for a week of unlimited use. Would the two of us be considered a "couple";) or would we have to pay seperately? We are in the same room, though. Can't get enough of the Serenade reviews...keep them coming...they have to last me until December:D Thanks!!

Hi Sailnav - and the rest of the readers of this board!

My hubby, son 17 and daugher 15 were also on the cruise March 19-26. It was fantastic!

Agree with Sailnav about the quality of the ship, food, service and staff - all outstanding! We were also on this ship in March of 2004 and think that the menu in the main diningroom has improved. Kids loved the food in the windjammer for lunch -tacos, pizza, burgers, hotdogs and of course, soft-service ice cream cones!! But also had more of the classics that adults would enjoy too. Didn't try Chops or Portofino - really enjoyed the diningroom and our waiter and asst waiter were so attentive that we didn't want to give that up! After the second day, my hubby's martini and my cosmo were delivered to our table also immediately after we sat down............now THAT is service! (they knew what we would order and had it ready).

The kids checked out the teen area stuff - lots of kids on board that week. However, they mostly hung with us, as it seemed lots of kids came with friends. But every day we had an excursion, then back to the ship for lunch, then daughter and I usually shopped. The guys shopped a little, but hung out at the ship, playing ping pong, pool, or got a massage. So, with a full day, early seating dinner, then to the show after dinner, we were pretty much beat!!! I, myself, love the port intensive schedule. One sea day is enough for me. The decks were crowded, deck chairs scarce, etc. It was nice to relax, though, as I agree with Sailnav that we were tired!!!! But it was a blast!

St Thomas - did the BOB underwater scooter thing. IT WAS A BLAST!!!!!! You are on the BOB only for about 1/2 an hour, but that was long enough. While the others on the ship took their turn, we snorkeled on this amazing reef where giant starfish had recently made their home. Lots and lots of fish and coral and it was great. They provide water, juice, cookies and crackers to curb your hunger. One hint...........if you are at all claustrophobic, this might not be the excursion for you. My hubby couldn't handle it. You put you head into this helmet, kinda like those deep sea diving helmets you probably have seen on tv? Kids and I were fine, hubby decided to just keep snorkeling.

St Maarten - did the America's Cup sailing race. Did it in March 2004 also, and as always, it was GREAT! You really work the lines in a race and it is fast, and action-packed. Those who do not want to work will be given a less stressful job, so nearly everyone can participate in some manner.

Antigua - did the kayak/snorkeling adventure through RCI. Two parts to this one - they take you to a beautiful snorkel area by a small island where you can hike if you wish. Then over to another side of the island where you kayak around the shores of an island surrounded by mangroves that are teaming with wildlife - starfish, sand dollars, jellyfish. The guides were funny, informative, and really serious about protecting their island.

Barbados - Snorkel with shipwrecks and sea turtles, also through RCI. Two shipwrecks was the first stop, close to the shore but the fish population was amazing. Stingrays, a small shark, lots of fish, eel, etc. The next stop was by a small island were the green sea turtles hang out - the guides bring food for them and they come close. They are too cute.

St Lucia - signed up for a morning excursion called snorkeling delight. However, received a note in the stateroom a few days prior that due to mechanical difficulties, the excursion was changed to the afternoon. It was a good snorkeling site - the guys on the boat wore SANDALS resort outfits, so don't know if it was our original excursion or if they took over after the original one had the mechanical difficulties. Great reef to snorkel over.

March 2004 cruise I took some fitness classes and they were fun. Worked out on the treadmills this trip.......all state of the art. Spa - hubby and son both had different massage and said they were great. Daughter and I were intrigued by an ad on the inroom TV for "teeth whitening" so we checked it out and both had it done. Amazing results!!! March 2004 I had a exfoliation scrub and the stone massage - both nice, a bit spendy, but hey.....I'm on vacation!!

Shopping great in St Thomas and St Maarten............personally liked St Maarten better. Streets of St Maarten totally renovated since 2004 and really nice. Bought a few jewelry items. If anyone is into fake purses, watches or sunglasses, St Maarten is your place! They were in full view in a dozen or more stores, prices similar to Canal Street in NY.

Well, that's all I can think of! I'll check back if anyone has specific questions! I saved a few Teen Compasses, as well as 12-14yr Navigator schedules that were delivered to our room a few days by mistake.

You will LOVE the Serenade of the Seas!!!!!

chocolate,

Thanks for the additional great review! What cabin(s) did you have? Did you like them, the location, etc.?

I am glad ot hear St Maarten is finished with remodeling the main shopping street. We were there last August when they were working on it - what a MESS!:rolleyes:

We had adjoining balcony cabins 8536 and 8538. Last year we were on Deck 7,balcony also. Both locations were great. We were on the starboard (right) side of the ship, forward of the hump. It was nice because most of the ports we docked at were on our side and we could watch us arrive and depart from the balcony.

My suggestion is to spring for a balcony room - you can sit out there and have your coffee in the AM, a drink before dinner, or just watch the stars at night. Makes the room seem much larger than it really it also.

Chocolate, Thanks, too, for the great review. My sister and I can't wait 'til our cruise in December! Sounds like we'll have a great time. Any ideas on what beaches to hang out and relax on in any of the ports? We are looking at one excursion (through the ship but haven't decided which one yet) and shopping and beach bumming at the rest of the ports. Can you tell me anything about the Thermal Suite at the Spa? How much? Is it unlimited useage? Thanks...

We, too, chose a balcony (on deck 9) as my husband let us cash in some of his ff miles for the flight to San Juan. Can't wait patiently enough for December to roll around, but I guess I'll have to:)

Vickie -

March 2004 cruise, one of the couples we were with purchased a spa treatment on our departure day while we were on a tour of the spa. With that treatment, they got a bonus of using the thermal suite unlimited. They used it a few times but we kept too busy for them to use it every day.

The Spa usually has specials and/or package deals if you purchase the treatments on the first day. My suggestion is to take the spa tour if you have time on departure day.

You'll have a GREAT TIME! I am still going through "cruise withdrawal"!!!!

Ruth

Archived