a jarring experience

Timba

I will be on NCL Star in Dec. and would like to book an excursion to one of the Mayan ruins sites and maybe take the river tour. My boyfriend has very bad arthritis. When we were in Cabo we went on a Zodiac and it was very painful for him. Please let me know if any of the ruins tours would not be such a jarring experience. He can handle bumpy, but not body pounding.

did lamanai, through NCL, the bus was not the best...but it did the job. since it was not full, it was easy to move around and get more comfortable. the boat ride was fine, stopping for wildlife and then a speed trip to get there in time. walking around was the most difficult, the path can be anything from muddy, over stone steps, over tree roots and wooden steps to walking through a green fields. very few places to sit down...but there are some benches around a couple of the sites.

for me, the hardest part was getting into and out of the boat. it's a big step for my stiff legs and feet.

do have to say this was a great day...we had a wonderful tour guide, our bus driver was a sweetheart and the boat captain made very effort to keep everyone comfortable.

Altun Ha via a city tour or Xunantunich via a coach type bus ride would be the best bets for someone with arthritis. Lamanai has a boat ride that could be jarring if the water is rough or the boat has to move faster to get back to the tender pier. However, all these sites require some walking to get to once the bus parks or the boat lands. Xunantunich, for example, has a fairly steep hill that needs to be climbed to reach the ruins site.

Archived