Safe/Unsafe ports?

RedbirdFL

My daughter and I are looking at taking a cruise next May to celebrate her college graduation. We took one with DH last May when she finished the semester, and now she's hooked!

We prefer not to repeat the ports we did last time - Freeport and Nassau - but want to cruise out of Florida, because that's where we live. I've looked at a few cruises, but don't know anything about the ports.

We probably wouldn't do any excursions, because money's tight, but would like to get out and explore a little on our own.

Which ports do you recommend for 2 women, and which do you recommend we avoid?

I'd be inclined to avoid Jamaica (apologies to the many lovely Jamaicans, but there are problems), of the other islands I know there are sometimes a few areas to avoid, but that certainly doesn't apply to the entire island.

As anywhere in the world, not everyone will have enjoyed a given island, so don't be put off by a solitary detractor.

So if noboby else has a bad word for Jamaica, ignore my views on it ;)

But you can see a lot safely without paying ships' prices on sight-seeing excursions or making advance arrangements. On all the islands I've visited (a whole lot though by no means every one) there's taxis & vans waiting at the pier and plenty of folk on the pier to share with - perhaps better for you to share with half-a-dozen or more fellow-pax in a van. These drivers are known to each-other & to the port. They can replicate ships' tours at about 25% to 35% of ships' prices, and of course they're much more flexible. The drivers at the ports are trustworthy, friendly & reliable, they know their island & they know the importance of back-on-board time. Agree a price before you board (barter a little), pay when you get back (in USD), its the norm.

Don't be tempted by cheaper taxis away from the port, they can be risky.

Beaches - Sometimes close to the ship, usually a short taxi or van ride, occasionally (eg Aruba) frequent buses. Perhaps stick to fairly busy tourist beaches - on St Lucia for instance choose Reduit Beach in preference to my favourite, Choc Beach, which is quiet.

JB :)

Many of the Eastern Caribbean ports will be fine.

I also do not care about Jamaica (western Caribbean) and I do not feel safe there.

No port is going to be perfectly safe so you do need to use street smarts in any of these places but I would tell you the same when you visit large USA cities.

Keith

Given your preferences we would join with the other post in recommending the Eastern Caribbean. St Thomas, St Maarten and a Private Island itinerary gives you enough to keep you busy and they can be reasonably inexpensive ports (as long as you do not do much shopping). Most of the eastern Caribbean ports (including the ones I mentioned) make it relatively easy for passengers to get to a beach on their own (much cheaper then excursions) or, particularly in the case of St Thomas and St Maarten, do a lot of window shopping and browsing.

Hank

A bit of research on the ports you're considering might be a good thing. None of the ports are "dangerous"...at least, no more than your hometown might be! Just like anywhere, you need to keep your wits about you and don't do things that might invite crime!

It's quite easy to do things on your own...and have no fear...you really won't "be alone"...there will be tourists galore!

Belize last week was sorta scary, heed their warnings. On the other hand the vigilantes and uniform guards are there to protect cruisers too. If you can handle risk, book non cruise line excursions for more excitement and adventure.

I would not want to be wandering in Belize, or Roatan, yet would in Cozumel or Costa Maya. There were random armed security checks on roads, and would feel safer on approved excursions, but wow, smaller tour operators will get you to see a better real picture

My daughter and I are looking at taking a cruise next May to celebrate her college graduation. We took one with DH last May when she finished the semester, and now she's hooked!

We prefer not to repeat the ports we did last time - Freeport and Nassau - but want to cruise out of Florida, because that's where we live. I've looked at a few cruises, but don't know anything about the ports.

We probably wouldn't do any excursions, because money's tight, but would like to get out and explore a little on our own.

Which ports do you recommend for 2 women, and which do you recommend we avoid?

I would recommend Grand Cayman and recommend avoiding Jamaica.

I think others have given you very good advice. Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, would be great. Tortola, Curacao, Aruba, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel are also fine. I would've put Belize on that list, too. Not sure what someone said was a little "scary" a few weeks ago. Some pot dealers are present in the port area, but they were fairly non-descript (my DH is in law enforcement, so always has an eye on that out of habit). Same with the Bahamas.

Guatemala was the only place that felt sketchy to me, and if you don't do a tour, plan to stay on the ship or in the immediate, very very small port area.

Also good ports San Juan - very DIY, Grand Turk - DIY but not much on foot beyond a beach, Half Moon Cay and any other cruise line private beaches/islands.

Everything else will generally be safe in the main tourist areas. Cruise ships are big business to these ports and their authorities work very hard at keeping visitors safe. Like any urban area one needs to exercise some common/practical sense - stay away from areas with few or no tourists, guard your purses & pockets diligently, don't flash obvious wealth (no fancy jewelry, wads of cash, etc.), be skeptical of anyone who approaches you especially away from the pier area.

I second Grand Turk as being a very easy port - there's a nice beach, Margaritaville, and good shopping literally at the end of the pier, and not that much beyond there that you would hate to miss. I had the same impression from Belize - was not totally comfortable there. My husband split up there and did separate excursions; I stuck close to my group. May also have to do with the fact that the tender ride is soooo far from the pier......you don't have the safe feeling of the ship sitting there and ship crew being there to assist you if you need anything. That was my feeling anyway.

Ocho Rios I would skip - even on a ship-sponsored excursion to Dunns River Falls, we still had TONS of people harrassing us. If you go beyond the main terminal area (town) on Cozumel, you'd probably feel more comfortable going with a group - either book a ship's tour to one of the beaches, or take a cab with some other folks. Never had a problem there, and it's DEFINITELY worth it to get out to the outlying beaches, but they are a few miles from town and fairly remote.

If you are unused to and nervous about other cultures/countries/etc., I'd recommend leaning towards the cautious side until you've built up your familiarity. It's hard to enjoy yourself if you are all twitchy and unsure and vacations are time for fun!

I'm female and have been to the places people have cautioned about above and have enjoyed myself quite a lot. It makes me really sad that other folks don't get to have those same dventures and I wonder what makes our experiences so different. All I can say is that each person has their own comfort level, which is perfectly fine, but I tink it's potentially worthwhile to occasionally challenge yourself. The reward can really be worh it. Just use your head and be smart!

Just back a few weeks ago from the Carnival Valor's Western Caribbean cruise. Grand Cayman,Roatan, Honduras, and Cozumel, Mexico were wonderful and perfectly safe. Normally don't get off at Belize due to the long tender ride and being told that if you don't book an excursion the port area is relatively small and leaving the immediate area you are possibly looking for trouble. Can't wait to return to Roatan and the beach break at Tabayana Beach. One of the most relaxing places I have ever been too and so absolutely beautiful.

OK, This is our first cruise and its on RC Western Carribean. We are cruising with others who have done the Eastern.

One port of call is Falmouth Jamaica. Now what? Am I going to have to stay on the ship at these ports? I'm getting kinda nervous about what to do when we get there. I have not booked excursions yet.

Thanks

Patty

Dear Lord people stop with the Fear Crap !!! Im 5'7 135 male and went off the beaten Path In Jamacia and was never Harmed !! i was offered WHAT THE Y CALL SMOKE i said no ty and moved on.

If your going to Jamacia use common sense enough said!! Get off the ship and enjoy this great country.

Ps For your Info Im more scared to walk down the streets in the USA

Dear Lord people stop with the Fear Crap !!! Im 5'7 135 male and went off the beaten Path In Jamacia and was never Harmed !! i was offered WHAT THE Y CALL SMOKE i said no ty and moved on.

If your going to Jamacia use common sense enough said!! Get off the ship and enjoy this great country.

Ps For your Info Im more scared to walk down the streets in the USA

I would not go off the beaten path in Jamaica and if you did and didn't have an incident consider yourself fortunate. Likewise, I know people who run a red light and don't get a ticket or in an accident but that doesn't mean they were safe. Next time around might be there last.

Yes, there are also several places around the USA I would not walk around on my own and the same goes for Jamaica and several other places.

OK, This is our first cruise and its on RC Western Carribean. We are cruising with others who have done the Eastern.

One port of call is Falmouth Jamaica. Now what? Am I going to have to stay on the ship at these ports? I'm getting kinda nervous about what to do when we get there. I have not booked excursions yet.

Thanks

Patty

Keep in mind that cruise ships are huge business in all ports of call. The authorities generally work quite hard to make things safe for tourists. You will even observe local merchants and others watching out for tourists. Practice the same level of caution you would visiting any strange place in the US and you should be fine.

I suspect that part of the reason some people feel a little intimidated visiting places in the Caribbean is the subtle realization that one is suddenly a visible minority - rich (by local standards) tourist - attracting lots of attention.

I would not go off the beaten path in Jamaica and if you did and didn't have an incident consider yourself fortunate. Likewise, I know people who run a red light and don't get a ticket or in an accident but that doesn't mean they were safe. Next time around might be there last.

Yes, there are also several places around the USA I would not walk around on my own and the same goes for Jamaica and several other places

These Message boards are like the Media One persons Opinion scares so many. If it was overly Dangerous the crusie Companys wouldnt Port there.

But this is just my Opinion !! i dont let others tell me whats Dangerous and have seen places in Jamacia alot of folks wont b/c there scared its a shame !!

My Daughter is my travel buddy..We often just get off the ship and wander around for a few hours..The only place we were a little scared about was Jamaica..we did hire a local tour guide for that..Felt safe with them and had no problems... I will never ever understand why anyone would feel unsafe in Roatan...What a wonderful place and the people were great..Was it dirty and poor in town yes..But scary no..And how could anyone not get off the ship in cartagana...My goodness the buildings and the town were just incredable.

Archived