What is the worst Cruise line that you have sailed on

caribbean sailor

Who ever mentioned Silversea, one of the most expensive cruise lines out there? You are comparing diamonds to cubic zirconias. There are other good, competitively priced cruise lines out there. Take Princess or Celebrity, for instance, two that I am very familiar with. Both often offer cruises for about the same price as Carnival, and sometimes even less. Both offer better value for the money because they are more upscale than Carnival, with better ships, food and service levels. Plus, the passenger demographics aren't overrun with people trying to get the cheapest cruise experience, and act accordingly.

On my Carnival cruise six years ago I observed people drinking themselves into a stupor, kids running amok, obnoxious pool contests, and rampant rudeness, all which seemed to be the order of the day. Not my idea of a what a cruise experience should be.

Actually, Apimiac mentioned Silversea, and I was responding in general to the concept of having to pay just a little more to get top quality.

I agree, Princess and Celebrity, and, in my opinion, certainly HAL, offer much more quality for just a bit more than what Carnival charges. I won't even go into NCL - who definitely have low fares.

How long ago, and what ship? I'm considering an OATS cruise as I had good GCT experiences.

I honestly can not remember. It was about 5 or 6 years ago and OAT charters the ships they use on Greek Island cruises instead of owning them. So the odds of you getting the ship that we got are low.

I should also add although this is not a cruise but I did not think that the land portion was well planned. You need to read the tour itinerary rally really carefully and if you have any questions, call them. I am not saying that OAT lies about their tours but they do have a very broad interpretation of the truth.

Be very careful about how much free time you have and where the place for the free time is located. For example, we had 1/2 day in Delphi and then had the rest of the day as free time at our hotel which was maybe 10 miles from Delphi.

Hope that this helps.

DON

Actually, Apimiac mentioned Silversea, and I was responding in general to the concept of having to pay just a little more to get top quality.

I agree, Princess and Celebrity, and, in my opinion, certainly HAL, offer much more quality for just a bit more than what Carnival charges. I won't even go into NCL - who definitely have low fares.

It's nice to know we are on the same page in regards to value. I would also include HAL in that category, but I don't have as much experience with them so did not include them.

And from what I have read on this thread, I agree with you about NCL. That horrible artwork on the hulls instantly stops me from even thinking about buying into the cruise style they are selling.

Almost two years ago there was a posting on this very thread that counted the votes for worst ship up to that point: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31117498&postcount=165

I've included the results here for your convenience:

#1 - CARNIVAL = 35

#2 - NCL = 33

#3 - ROYAL CARIBBEAN = 11

#4 - MSC = 6

#5 - HAL = 5

Tied for sixth place:

#6 - CELEBRITY = 1

#6 - DISNEY = 1

#6 - PRINCESS = 1

At that time Carnival had the most votes at 35, with NCL a close second with 33. The two lines would change positions often, but they were always either numbers 1 and 2. Royal Caribbean, with 22 ships compared to Carnival's 23 (at the time of the posting), was third with only 11 votes - 31% of Carnival's votes. It should be noted that NCL had only 12 ships at that time, half of Carnival's, so the real winner of the worst cruise line should really go to NCL because there would have been fewer opportunities to cruise on their ships, but they still got a vote count almost equal to Carnival's.

This is not a scientific survey, of course, but it is noteworthy that it is only CC members voicing their opinions, thereby keeping it "all in the family".

A quick scan of the comments since post #165 seems to further support the rankings listed above.

As for me, I think I'll continue to stick with the cruise lines with the fewest votes.

Archived