Passports and Surprises and Parents... oh my!

IcyHound

Like a bolt of electricity, I was shocked with an incredible idea last night. It was so vivid, so amazing, so intense that I may have driven off the road if I was not in the Chik-Fil-a drive through getting a salad. Thankfully, I was safe.

I had travel plans with my husband that were shattered earlier that day. He travels a lot for work and I try to join him once or twice a year. I was supposed to go to Hong Kong in November, but they moved that trip to a few months later. I have to take leave from my job months in advance, get it approved, yadda yadda yadda. Moving it around is not an easy task.

I wanted to go somewhere still, maybe not for 3 weeks but still do something.

Then I remembered, the first week that I had taken off is the week after my mother's 60th birthday. I am going over there tomorrow to help her reserve the hall for the party.

I had discussed with my mom and my husband having a IcyHoundMom and IcyHound cruise to spend quality time with an amazing lady.

Now I had that time... its her 60th birthday... I have enough money to fly to Hong Kong... with a few mental calculations that turns into a cruise if she can get off work.

I am *amazing*.

We live about an hour away from Baltimore. Carnival Pride leaves from Baltimore... Carnival Pride has a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas every Sunday to Sunday. That means my birthday gift to my mom would be a 7 day cruise.

I am now *awesome*.

I called my mother and she agreed. She can probably get that week off work. Shes a Nurse Manager at a hospital in DC and runs three floors. But she can probably get the time off since she never takes time off.

Our only Hiccup is that her passport expires in December. However, as I read it they suggest it not expire for six months but its still considered a valid passport?

She was not born in the US so she does not have a US birth certificate. She was born in St. Kitts so she is a Caribbean islander herself. She is a naturalized citizen and has been since she was a child. However, she has had few chances to return to the islands over the years and few vacations.

If the passport thing is an issue we can try to get it renewed same day at the passport office in DC but that is a sucky day.

Anyone done the passport that was under six months? This will be next month so our time line is thin.

Like a bolt of electricity, I was shocked with an incredible idea last night. It was so vivid, so amazing, so intense that I may have driven off the road if I was not in the Chik-Fil-a drive through getting a salad. Thankfully, I was safe.

I had travel plans with my husband that were shattered earlier that day. He travels a lot for work and I try to join him once or twice a year. I was supposed to go to Hong Kong in November, but they moved that trip to a few months later. I have to take leave from my job months in advance, get it approved, yadda yadda yadda. Moving it around is not an easy task.

I wanted to go somewhere still, maybe not for 3 weeks but still do something.

Then I remembered, the first week that I had taken off is the week after my mother's 60th birthday. I am going over there tomorrow to help her reserve the hall for the party.

I had discussed with my mom and my husband having a IcyHoundMom and IcyHound cruise to spend quality time with an amazing lady.

Now I had that time... its her 60th birthday... I have enough money to fly to Hong Kong... with a few mental calculations that turns into a cruise if she can get off work.

I am *amazing*.

We live about an hour away from Baltimore. Carnival Pride leaves from Baltimore... Carnival Pride has a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas every Sunday to Sunday. That means my birthday gift to my mom would be a 7 day cruise.

I am now *awesome*.

I called my mother and she agreed. She can probably get that week off work. Shes a Nurse Manager at a hospital in DC and runs three floors. But she can probably get the time off since she never takes time off.

Our only Hiccup is that her passport expires in December. However, as I read it they suggest it not expire for six months but its still considered a valid passport?

She was not born in the US so she does not have a US birth certificate. She was born in St. Kitts so she is a Caribbean islander herself. She is a naturalized citizen and has been since she was a child. However, she has had few chances to return to the islands over the years and few vacations.

If the passport thing is an issue we can try to get it renewed same day at the passport office in DC but that is a sucky day.

Anyone done the passport that was under six months? This will be next month so our time line is thin.

In deed *awesome*

You could use a passport service, they are a little pricey but you don't have to spend a day doing it. They give you exactly what paperwork to do and then they deal with the rest and bring it back to you, It usually takes a day, maybe 2 at most.

Yeah you're awesome!

Enjoy your time with your mom and tell her happy birthday!

I have a similar issue with my son's passport; it will expire 2 months after our cruise to Mexico this spring. I have called Carnival twice (to see if they said the same thing) and was told that while they suggest that your passport be valid for 6 months after your trip, it is still considered a valid passport and is ok for our trip. Now, I'm not sure if your cruise would have different rules since it's to a different location... If I were you, I'd call Carnival and ask.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

We spent the day at the passport office ten years ago with the passport that is about to expire. It was all about her birth certificate since the structure of the name was different from what they saw on american ones. It was a mess but we got it done. She already works in DC and going to the office isn't a big deal to her. It is to me becuase I hate going into DC.

I do need to call, Carnival. I plan to. I checked here first (yall are a trove of information) and I work nights so I sleep all day. I'll call them tomorrow since I am off.

Just as an FYI~~I just sent my passport in for a name change~ mailed on Sept 1 they got it Sept 3, cashed my check and processed my passport Sept 7, was in the mail Sept 9 and had it in my hand Monday Sept 12~ did not pay extra for expedited~ I did mail it with delivery confirmation and they mailed it back priority.

The passport she has will be fine. A passport is not REQUIRED, it is only used to validate citizenship and to do that it only needs to be valid and it will be until expiration date.

The 6 month rule thing is for if you go somewhere a passport is required, in the event something happens, you will have time to get the problem fixed and still have a valid passport which you would need to travel.

On the other hand, she should go ahead and get it renewed. The renewal will not be the ordeal it took to have it issued.

The reason I do not want to risk sending it off is because if there is a delay she is SOL... she has her naturalization certification somewhere I am sure. However, she has been a citizen for fifty years but lacks an easy fallback like a US issued passport.

I would still have her get it renewed. She will have to do it sooner or later. You have plenty of time. I got mine renewed in a couple of weeks. Filled out the form I downloaded on-line, got pictures made at the drug store, and sent it in.

If you are uncomfortable about turning it loose to the USPS (which I can understand these days) send it by certified mail, return receipt requested.

Tucker in Texas

You are awesome. Send Mom to get her passport herself. You are taking her on the cruise, she can get her passport. She knows the ropes.

That was my thought although I agree that she doesn't need to get it renewed for the trip. And I am pretty sure that her naturalization papers would serve in lieu of birth certificate- my 3 kids have used theirs for similar reasons

But why would you need to be there to get the renewal with her? Agree with truechattycathy- she should be able to do that on her own.

The reason I do not want to risk sending it off is because if there is a delay she is SOL... she has her naturalization certification somewhere I am sure. However, she has been a citizen for fifty years but lacks an easy fallback like a US issued passport.

You have plenty of time to renew it but as previously stated she won't have any problem with the current expiration date (some countries do require you to have a passport with an expiration date 6 months after your travel ends but I do not believe that the Bahamas is one of those countries).

In any event she would be able to use her naturalization certificate and government issued ID card if push came to shove.

Archived