Cruise Videos

overinvester

I have asked this question before, but have gotten no response, so hopefully someone can give me some insight. HAL can not explain the difference to me, so hopefully someone on this board can.

We are booked on a cruise that is coming up in 30 days and are pre-ordering some things. One thing we would like is to get a viedo of our cruise, but HAL offers 2 types a videos. They offer a cruise video of the cruise we are taking, and they also offer a "Custom Video" of our cruise. Am I to assume that the video of the cruise itnerary is a generic of where we been and the Custom one is the one taken during our cruise?

Any input would be appreciated, as they are both in the $40 range and would like to pick the video of our unique experiances of what are cruise was and the one that actual video was shot during our cruise.:confused:

Overinvester

I don't think it matters which one you choose.

I have never seen any "positive" comments about either one on these boards before. One is very generic and the other one is supposed to be of "your" cruise but don't think the photographer will be following you around. You'll be lucky to spot yourself once and only if you do all your excursions through HAL.

A much better alternative is to take a lot of photos and convert them to a video when you get home. There are several free programs available online to do this and most are quite easy to navigate. Just go to the Cruise Critic "Photo" boards and you will find many links.

Can only speak to the "custom" video from our 7 day Alaska cruise that we took last July on the Oosterdam. Honestly we were majorly disappointed with this video. We were expecting more footage of onboard activities and just general scenes from our actual cruise. What we had was quite a few repeated shots of the people on deck while cruising in Glacier Bay, inserted here and there throughout the video, and some footage of the show that honors the crew and officers that takes place one evening. I have not seen the other "cruise" video, but it is my opinion it is the same as the "custom" with the few clippings I described added. We watched ours once ... haven't purchased another since.

Am I to assume that the video of the cruise itnerary is a generic of where we been and the Custom one is the one taken during our cruise?

Ii don't know, but that sounds logical to me. We've watched one that plays repeatedly outside the gift shop and have seen a few fellow cruisers that we recognized. It's not something I would buy.

Can't the question wait until you get on the ship to ask? :confused:

Your analysis is correct and your decision is what mine should have been for our New Zealand cruise. Wanting a record and not wanting to spend my sightseeing time looking through a viewfinder I opted for the generic video. What I got was a moody, gloomy video of Auckland skyscrapers, twisted trees, bleak shores and animal pictures from one wildlife preserve. There were a few shots of a visit to a native village. Our cruise ended in Sydney, Australia and there was not even a shot of the opera house or any other Sydney landmark. A total rip-off as far as I am concerned, I'll never buy another.

I have to admit, I did purchase the 3-video set from our Oosterdam cruise in May. On disembarkation day in Seattle, we did sit in our friends' room between breakfast & our time to leave the ship, and watched the "custom" cruise video while they finished last-minute packing. I am glad I bought it, but it was our first cruise, and it did make a good momento. There was some content from our voyage, but a lot of stock images as well. I was disappointed in the content they showed of the evening shows. I was hoping to have some snippets showing the singers & dancers actually singing & dancing. Instead, we got video of it, overlaid with the video production's music.

I still need to watch the Glacier Bay DVD...can't weigh in on that yet. I know the videographer was on deck for that, since his camera is on the edge of some of my photos.

I don't know that I'll buy another one, but I am happy I bought it from our first voyage.

Your analysis is correct and your decision is what mine should have been for our New Zealand cruise. Wanting a record and not wanting to spend my sightseeing time looking through a viewfinder I opted for the generic video. What I got was a moody, gloomy video of Auckland skyscrapers, twisted trees, bleak shores and animal pictures from one wildlife preserve. There were a few shots of a visit to a native village. Our cruise ended in Sydney, Australia and there was not even a shot of the opera house or any other Sydney landmark. A total rip-off as far as I am concerned, I'll never buy another.

Check out the video selection on the links below

I record each of our cruises & professionally edit them en route during sea days

The video that the Zuiderdam made duing my Alaska cruise in July was of very poor quality and was not an accurate representation of the cruise. They substituted stock photos of "our day" in Juneau that showed beautiful blue skies. HA!! It poured rain the entire day we were there.

They were showing it on the TV trying to get people to buy it. I remember thinking, "who in the world would pay for this really crappy video that isn't even the same cruise we're on."

Twice I have ordered the combination DVD package (Destination & Cruise) for friends as a gift. The first time it was never received while they were on board. This was their first cruise. Once I contacted HAL it was sent to them, with apologies. That was in 2010.

This last May I ordered the same package (stupid me) for another friend who also took an Alaska cruise, also their first, and they are still waiting for one of the DVD's. I learned my lesson this time...I'd never order that again for anyone.

If you really want a "good" video of your cruise, I would suggest investing in a fairly inexpensive video camera and take the video of the things that appeal to you. They are really easy to use and can be picked up at Wal-Marts, Staples, Radio Shack and other outlets. This way you can capture what you want and not what HAL wants to show you.:)

Archived