Scuba Diving Group Cruise: Anyone Interested?

Sailfish

I am interested in coordinating a Cruise Critic Group cruise for certified scuba divers. I'm presently looking at the Carnival Valor'w Western Caribbean Itinerary out of Miami on December 10, 2006. It's inexensive (around $600 for an inside cabin) and calls on Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize and Roatan. I will coordinate the diving at the ports of call.

My husband and I are certified scuba divers with over a 100 dives a piece; we've been to all four ports of call on previous dive vacations and dove at each. This cruise would be the perfect opportunity to combine a cruise with some of the best diving the Caribbean has to offer. Please let me know if you are interested. If so, I will contact Laura Sterling and set up a group.

This cruise is ideal for those of you with a spouse or significant other who is non-diver. We can make arrangements with the dive operators to have them come out with us or they can do their own thing.

The Valor is a great ship - new with an upscale feel to it. If I get some feed back, I can supply you with more details, answer your questions and get pricing information.

Possibly, it's hard for me to plan that far in advance, but my husband is a diver. I would be interested in keeping tabs on the group. We are leaving on the Legend in a few days. He will dive in Belize. The other ports are Limon, Costa Rica and Colon, Panama. Not planning any dives at those ports. Have you done any diving at either of those two? Several years ago, we did a Windstar cruise and dove in Belize and Roatan. That was great...i did a beginner dive in Roatan.

Diane

In other circumstances I might be interested, but I'm a teacher and always need school holiday dates for vacation. :( Plus, we're heading to Belize for winter break on a Nekton liveaboard, which is the ultimate Scuba Diving Group Cruise! :)

any other time and i might have interest... but i always take-off the week between christmas and new year's to spend with my daughter - and the big boss doesn't usually approve of my being gone for two weeks in the last 4-5 weeks of the year.

sounds like great diving, though... except for g.c. i've dived the rest and would love to go back! :D

In other circumstances I might be interested, but I'm a teacher and always need school holiday dates for vacation. :( Plus, we're heading to Belize for winter break on a Nekton liveaboard, which is the ultimate Scuba Diving Group Cruise! :)
Wish I was going with you too, but being the only diver, I have limited choices for travel. Just about the only place SHE will allow me to travel w/o her and the kids is British Columbia, and that is just because it isn't warm and sunny there.

I'm looking at another trip to Cozumel this year :)

Wish I was going with you too, but being the only diver, I have limited choices for travel. Just about the only place SHE will allow me to travel w/o her and the kids is British Columbia, and that is just because it isn't warm and sunny there.

I'm looking at another trip to Cozumel this year :)

Thanks for the replies! I too work in education (as a HS administrator), but we have a modified year round schedule, so I do get the time off. It was worth a shot to see if any CC people would be interested.

I may still do the group, but not through CC; I have a group of 10 couples with whom we plan dive trips on a regular basis, so it's a possibility. I too much prefer the live aboard or dive resort option. Our plan is to combine this cruise with a week in Bonaire (got great pricing on an apartment there). We have air miles and can do an "open jaw", making a stop in FLA for a week for the cruise on the way to San Juan and finally to Bonaire.

I've never been a big fan of Carnival, but this ship sounds very nice. We're taking our kids on the cruise, but NOT to Bonaire (leaving them with family in FLA). This cruise can be a great for people who are traveling with non-divers, and it's far enough away that we can secure good pricing ($600 for an inside room and another $350 for diving (two tanks) in four ports).

My husband would prefer we go in the summer, but cruise rates are almost double, and group amenities are non existant (Carnival is offer $100 in shipboard credit as a group perk). And there's a reduced mileage award to the Caribbean every fall, through Dec. (except Christmas & New Year's weeks).

If anyone changes his or her mind, let me know.

Take Care!

Thanks again for your input.

Hello!!

We would be very much interested in this adventure. My fiance is a very experienced diver with well over a hundred dives and many certs. I am a relative newbie, only diving since 2003! I love Bonaire and usually stay at Capt Don's. He loves Grand Cayman and either stays at Sunset House or Cobalt Coast. Roatan is usually Anthonys Keys and Belize is Turneffe.. Florida, usually the keys.. some Fort Laud.. So we would love to go! Please let us know!

Hello!!

We would be very much interested in this adventure. My fiance is a very experienced diver with well over a hundred dives and many certs. I am a relative newbie, only diving since 2003! I love Bonaire and usually stay at Capt Don's. He loves Grand Cayman and either stays at Sunset House or Cobalt Coast. Roatan is usually Anthonys Keys and Belize is Turneffe.. Florida, usually the keys.. some Fort Laud.. So we would love to go! Please let us know!

I will stay in touch. Not much interest so far, but I'll check back and let you know what I come up with. There may be some non-divers who would also be interested.

Thanks for your reply!

I can make that dive next Dec 2006, that gives me enough time to plan. My wife will be going on her first Resort style Beginners divers excursion out of P.V. in Oct. on the Pride, if this goes well :confused: and she doesnt FREAK OUT :eek: then its on. I will have to get Re-certified this summer, thats no problem, Advance diver with Padi.

Okay...here are some options. I need your input if you are interested in doing a scuba group aboard the Valor next year. I have two choices: do a group in the summer and pay more, or go in December, and pay less.

The rates for the summer are high and there probably will be NO perks like shipboard credit or a free party for the group. But my husband is convinced the diving will be better in the summer (I'm not so sure it will be, as both of us have been to all ports in June). The cost for the dives will be about the same.

If we go in the fall or in December, we can pretty much get enough group amenity points to get shipboard credit and other perks as well as a good rate. Mike thinks the diving in Dec will be fine, but the Christmas winds in Dec in Cozumel are always going to threaten diving. Having been there in December, we only experienced a port closure one time, when dive boats were not allowed to go out. It's a risk you take in Cozumel every winter, but I'm willing to risk this.

What are your thoughts? I can go in the summer; I actually would prefer to go then, but like I said, December is a much better deal. We are willing to do a group in the summer if enough people are interested.

Suzi

Would February be a potentially better month for divers ? A sort of LOVE TO Scuba Valentines theme.. just a thought!!

We are going to PV with another group in February - I can't do a dive group then. If you're interested in joing our February group, let me know.

We are going to PV with another group in February - I can't do a dive group then. If you're interested in joing our February group, let me know.

My wife and I (both divers) are going on this same cruise in January 2006.

What's the info on your cruises. We are both divers and looking for a cruise in Jan. or Feb.

Thanks

Nita

We're on the Valor January 22, 2006 sailing.

My brother, also a diver, is looking hard at joining us.

We have another couple that will be along also - they don't dive, but they're experienced cruisers that won't have any trouble keeping themselves occupied while we're underwater (and we let them know up front that diving in these ports was one of the primary reasons we chose this particular cruise).

We're on the Valor January 22, 2006 sailing.

My brother, also a diver, is looking hard at joining us.

We have another couple that will be along also - they don't dive, but they're experienced cruisers that won't have any trouble keeping themselves occupied while we're underwater (and we let them know up front that diving in these ports was one of the primary reasons we chose this particular cruise).

I'd love to get your input after your cruise.

We did an identical itinerary many years ago and had a great time. I still much prefer land based dive trips, but as far as cruises go, this itinerary is the only one I can think of where we can dive (at decent sites) at each port of call. My only concern is the threat of high winds in December in and around Cozumel and the Caymans.

We are probably going to combine this cruise with a trip to Bonaire either before or afterwards - depending on the dates we select. December prices are dirt cheap. Last night, I was tempted to just book this cruise individually, but the group perks were just too good to pass up, so I am going to give it one more shot - $100 shipboard credit and a one hour free coctail party are darn good perks IF we go in December. It does not appear people are willing to pay a primium to cruise in the summer; between you and me, this cruise in December is by far the best deal. We just need 8 cabins to get the group's perks, so I am going to give it a shot and poll some friends here at home to see if I have enough people to constitute a group.

In case you are wondering, our cruise in Feb 2006 is to the west coast of Mexico departing from Los Angeles - Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. I am the group leader of a competative volleyball group - 70+ people. The only decent place to dive is in Cabo; and I'm not sure we will dive there. This is NOT a dive oriented cruise, but a fun trip. Most of us are from Northern CA, so the trip to LA is an easy one for us to make. Email me if you are so inclined.

I'll keep you guys posted on what I come up with - pricing, etc. I was told by Carnival that only a $25pp deposit will be required intitally. If and when I get the information, I will post it here.

Take care!

I just got an okay from Laura to put together this cruise. Here are some details to get you started. I'll have an electronic brochure ready to go soon with pictures and pricing information. If you'd like a brochure, please email me and I will attach it to my reply (in WORD).

Group: Valor Scuba Divers

Ship: Carnival Valor

Sail Date: 10 December 2006

Deposit: $25pp double Occupancy

Itinerary:

12/10 Sunday: Miami

12/11 Monday: At Sea

12/12 Tuesday: Belize 9am-6pm

12/13 Wednesday: Roatan 7am-3:30pm

12/14 Thursday: Grand Cayman 9am-5:30pm

12/15 Friday: Cozumel 11am-11pm

12/16 Saturday: At Sea

12/17 Sunday: Miami

Pricing:

Once I get pricing details, I will post it here. Suffice it to say, it will run you around $850pp for an 8A Balcony, around $750pp for a 6A Oceanview and around $600pp for a category 4A inside cabin. I will be requesting a few single 1A's (not sure if I will get them) at 150% of the 4A rate. Please note that these rates are NOT confirmed.

Group Perks:

$100 per cabin shipboard credit

Shared Cocktail Party

Champagne & Chocolates at Embarkation

I'll post more detailed information at this site as I get it. Once our group is established, I'll post dive information as well. I will let the group decide whether to book our dives directly with Carnival or independently - I have dive op information for all ports of call and will be happy to coordinate all dives through them, if that's what the group prefers.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ok this looks great. have a question. When we were last on the Carnival.. they signed us up for their Vacation Club. Would we still be able to book thru you and use our points or vice versa.

if not am still considering this cruise no matter what.. it sounds fab and only $50 for the both of us to start.. great.. do let me know..

Ok this looks great. have a question. When we were last on the Carnival.. they signed us up for their Vacation Club. Would we still be able to book thru you and use our points or vice versa.

if not am still considering this cruise no matter what.. it sounds fab and only $50 for the both of us to start.. great.. do let me know..

I have no idea how you would use your points with a group cruise, but my guess is you won't be able to. As Cruise Critic will be making all the arrangements, they will put us in touch with the TA or the cruise line; you can ask about your points then. Once I get this info back from Laura Sterling, I will post the information. It may take a few days or up to a week.

Pricing will probably be the same whether you book the group or do so independently. But by booking with the group, each cabin will get 1) $100 shipboard credit, 2) a shared cocktail party, 3) a bottle of cheap champagne and chocolates. Individual booking come with no group perks. The key is we need 8 cabins to accomplish this.

All monies paid into Carnival are 100% refundable through Summer 2006. A second deposit of $225 will probably come due a year from now. If we found that we couldn't get 8 couples to join us, you could cancel, get your deposit back and possibly book the cruise using your points if you weren't able to initially. My husband and I will be going no matter what, and regardless of our numbers, will take the lead in making arrangements to dive in each port of call.

Hope this helps.

Will await any info you get.. however I think that we would love to sign up with or without points. So I believe will be going for this trip. Let me know how to go about signing up ok ! Just knowing we will be sailing with happy divers makes the trip all worth while.. Dec 2006 .. just seems so far away.. and yet!!

Archived