Scuba Diving Group Cruise: Anyone Interested?

Sailfish

We're on the Valor January 22, 2006 sailing.

My brother, also a diver, is looking hard at joining us.

We have another couple that will be along also - they don't dive, but they're experienced cruisers that won't have any trouble keeping themselves occupied while we're underwater (and we let them know up front that diving in these ports was one of the primary reasons we chose this particular cruise).

Augie,

I might be interested in the January 22, 2006 cruise on the Valor. I am planning to go on cruise on my own next winter as my husband is not going to join me this trip. I just completed my open water dives in January. We took a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Mariner in March and went diving in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I am going to be diving in Michigan starting in May (shipwreck festival in Lake Huron), we have a trip planned to Florida in June, Lake Michigan throughout the summer, ohio quarries, Lake Superior in August. Oh, we also live on an inland lake and live about 10 minutes from a lake that is a very popular diving destination. I think I will have some experience by next January:) My diving addiction is already pretty bad. In any case, I would love to join some folks on a cruise where the focus would be on diving. I have not taken a vacation on my own since, oh, like 1987, so going on a trip without my husband feels a bit daunting. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Thanks, Kathalina

Dear KathalinaMarie!! You certainly sound like a great lady diver! with so many op's for diving I envy you. And the diversity! Fabulous. I wish you safe and happy dives!

As for traveling minus... you could bring laptop and camera and see each other every morn! I have friends who did this. One broke leg and could not travel. Heart-broken they found a way. .It was quite romantic I thought. And she bought all sorts of "strange" souvenirs just to make him laugh and We all adopted her so she didnt have to be alone unless she choose it.. She was so much fun and it was quite sweet to see her miss him! ViceVersa.. when she called me after coming home.. found a whole new romance with her husband who missed her!

Hope you have every bit of goodness my friend enjoyed on your next cruise!

You are most welcome! I wish you and your love many GREAT PLUS's.. on this adventure ..

Had an idea.. how bout sending HIM a gift basket while you are away to surprize him ! So he feels like he is cruisin too! Fresh fruits.. ?

or have a really great pix of you two put in great frame.. and day you leave, put by bedstand with a rose so your love stays behind with hm.. could leave emails on his email ~ send email cards.. stuff like that.. I love romance and given just a little sunshine I think a heart just grows and grows..

Kathalinmarie,

Keep me posted on your plans. We'd certainly welcome you to dive with us if you go on the cruise.

Where do you plan to be in Florida this summer?

We try and go as often as possible on the weekends especially.

My youngest son will be getting his junior certification in June - we'll be a complete diving family then (and I'll have three other divers to worry about!).

ZydeDiverDC: You have some wonderful ideas. It is never a good idea to take a good marriage for granted and it is equally easy to do so in the stressors of everyday life. I love the idea of working out different ideas to daily surprise him while I am gone. I have only gone on business trips without him, never more than 4 days at a time. Your enthusiasm for romance is contagious!

Augie: Thank you for your kind invitation to join you on dives. I really like the date of the cruise. It gets so yucky in Michigan in the winter that I am more than ready to get out of here by the middle of January. I like the idea of taking a cruise if I have to go on the trip by myself because I have always felt very safe on cruise ships. The other option is to go on a dive charter with a local dive shop. I don't know how much I like the idea of taking a land based vacation on my own. I have only cruised on Royal Caribbean up to this point. You have had good luck with Carnival?

This summer we are going to be in Pensacola, Panama Beach and Destin. My brother lives in Fairhope, AL(outside of Mobile) and we are driving my mother down to visit (possibly move) to that area. While we are down there, my husband and I are going to get out and dive as much as possible. I did my open water dives in January at Vortex Springs, not too far from Pensacola. I am afraid I got the dive bug bad. Some would call it an obsession me thinks:)

That is so exciting about your whole family getting certified. I want to get my niece out this year and at least get her snorkeling. That is how I got hooked to start and I still am planning to snorkel the inland lakes of Michigan this summer. I find it incredibly relaxing and so many folks don't understand how clear some of the inland lakes can be, so much life to observe. There are many of the inland lakes that are suitable for scuba diving as well. I hope to get in a couple of dives a week throughout the season.

I was looking at the Valor and I am leaning toward that trip. Have y'all already made your reservations? My husband and I usually get a balcony, but for just myself paying the single premium I will probably just go with an inside room. So many decisions! I got an e-mail from Carnival which said they were going to have a sale this Thursday. Don't know if the prices are going to be significantly lower, but if it looks good I might put down a deposit.

You have had good luck with Carnival?

Yes we've had pretty good luck with them - and have been able to sample the diving all over the caribbean at the same time!

This summer we are going to be in Pensacola, Panama Beach and Destin.

I was going to ask if you and your husband would like to get in a few dives with us down here, but you will be quite a ways away. My mom lives in Panama City, but I've never done any diving up that way, not yet anyway.

I was looking at the Valor and I am leaning toward that trip. Have y'all already made your reservations?

Yes - we made reservations some time ago. We have one of those wrap around balconies at the rear of the ship - should be plenty of room to dry our gear!

Come join us - you know you want to...:)

Our group arrangements will be handled by Kevin at Crucon, 800-493-6609. I worked with Kevin on this past February's Cruise Critic Group Cruise aboard the Mariner. He's a very nice guy and did an awesome job taking care of our group. Crucon is one of Cruise Critic's "preferred" cruise only agencies. I have made numerous individual bookings over the years with Crucon, so I have a lot of confidence they will do a good job managing our group booking.

It will run you $25pp to reserve a double occupancy stateroom. Please call Crucon at the above number and ask to speak to Kevin. Although he has no direct number, he's very good at returning phone calls if he's busy or out of the office. A detailed invoice will come your way either via email (my preference) or US Mail. Either way, please make sure you check over your statement that ALL passengers names are spelled correctly, that your mailing address and other information is also accurate.

If you have any questions about the cruise or would like a brochure, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at suzi95628@yahoo.com.

Suzi

Valor Scuba Divers Group Coordinator

The following is detailed pricing information for the Carnival Valor 12/10/2006

Inside (Cat 4A): $ 599 pp

Oceanview (Cat 6A): $ 729 pp

Balcony (Cat 8A): $ 819 pp

Mini-Suite (Cat 11): $ 1299 pp

Penthouse Suite (Cat 12): $ 1839 pp

Rates are based on double occupancy and include the port charges and gov't fees.

Single (Cat 1A): $ 799 pp

3rd and 4th passenger rates are subject to change and vary depending on the category but the current rates are as follows:

Inside (Cat 4A): $ 369 pp

Oceanview (Cat 6A): $ 389 pp

Balcony and Suites (Cat 8A, Cat 11 and 12): $ 449 pp

Amenities:

$ 100 p/cabin on-board credit

Shared Cocktail Party

Champagne/chocolates per/cabin

Initial Deposit due by 5/6/05: $ 25 pp for double occupancy non-suite guarantees; $ 250 pp for all cabin assignments including single, triple, quads or suites due on or before 6/16/2006. The final payment for this group will be due by 8/25/2006.

Per group leader's request, the round trip airport transfers thru Carnival are as follows:

To and from MIA - $ 22 pp round-trip

To and from FLL - $ 32 pp round-trip

Hello Suzi, well , we want to go.. so i'll be calling Kevin today. how do we pick out our cabins.. ?

any way.. very very excited and love to have this to look forward to! :D

Which cabin type you plan to deposit really depends on how much you want to spend. The $25pp deposit is on guarantees only. Have you ever booked a guarantee before? Once your plunk down you 2nd deposit, you can request a cabin assignment or remain a guarantee. I am going to remain a guarantee in hope of garnering an upgrade. But guarantees are not for everyone, as upgrades are never a "for-sure" thing. On ALL group bookings, your $25pp deposit will hold space in the group in a certain category. It's no different than an individual booking a guarantee for the full $250pp deposit. The reduced deposit is just one more benefit or perk extended to groups by Carnival.

If you prefer, you are welcome to put down the full $250pp deposit and request a cabin assignment NOW. But as we are so far from out sail date, $25 is the better option. You can make your second deposit anytime and request a cabin assignment then.

Go to our message board (just click on the link under my signature below). I have a link under "Valor Ship Information" where you can check out the Valor's staterooms - see pictures of what your choices are and deck plans (where the categories are located).

Remember, your best value is always going to be on the least expensive inside cabin. No one spends all that much time in their cabins.

Hope this helps!

Augie,

I might be interested in the January 22, 2006 cruise on the Valor. I am planning to go on cruise on my own next winter as my husband is not going to join me this trip. I just completed my open water dives in January. We took a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Mariner in March and went diving in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I am going to be diving in Michigan starting in May (shipwreck festival in Lake Huron), we have a trip planned to Florida in June, Lake Michigan throughout the summer, ohio quarries, Lake Superior in August. Oh, we also live on an inland lake and live about 10 minutes from a lake that is a very popular diving destination. I think I will have some experience by next January:) My diving addiction is already pretty bad. In any case, I would love to join some folks on a cruise where the focus would be on diving. I have not taken a vacation on my own since, oh, like 1987, so going on a trip without my husband feels a bit daunting. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Thanks, Kathalina

Not sure if you'd be interested, but we got a $799 single rate for the December group. That's about the lowest single rate I have ever come across!

Dear Suzy, i called Kevin, who is everything you said! Very personable, professionable and thoughtful. It was truly a pleasure speaking with him and sharing information. I am glad you have such nice people to deal with in regards to this cruise!!

Now to the matter on hand I did not realize that the $25 pp was ONLY if you were going "guaranteed" cabin < which you know is a non-assignment of cabin number with possible upgrade> .. I thought we would be signing up for cabins.. but he said in order to sign up for a cabin number you had to plunk down the full $250pp NOW.. sooo..

I will have to look over expences and decide. I would like to be on that cruise so I may just do the "guaranteed' cabin for now.. and update with a full amount deposit later ... I told Kevin I would be back in touch with him next week to finalize. :o

All in all, I truly do hope to be part of this great adventure! ah the Valor Vision..or Viz.. as they say in the deep!

Dear Suzy, i called Kevin, who is everything you said! Very personable, professionable and thoughtful. It was truly a pleasure speaking with him and sharing information. I am glad you have such nice people to deal with in regards to this cruise!!

Now to the matter on hand I did not realize that the $25 pp was ONLY if you were going "guaranteed" cabin < which you know is a non-assignment of cabin number with possible upgrade> .. I thought we would be signing up for cabins.. but he said in order to sign up for a cabin number you had to plunk down the full $250pp NOW.. sooo..

I will have to look over expences and decide. I would like to be on that cruise so I may just do the "guaranteed' cabin for now.. and update with a full amount deposit later ... I told Kevin I would be back in touch with him next week to finalize. :o

All in all, I truly do hope to be part of this great adventure! ah the Valor Vision..or Viz.. as they say in the deep!

ALL groups offer the $25pp deposit promo on a "Guarantee" basis. Even if you are not a fan of guarantees, here are couple of things to consider:

This cruise is 20 months away - you do realize we are talking about a year from December! I wouldn't recommend waiting until June 2006 to make your second deposit to get your cabin assignment (espcially if you are looking to book a certain type of cabin); rather it won't hurt to wait a few months - even much of the year. Lets face it, short of group bookings (where they can't hold specific cabins), this sailing probably won't generate many individual reservations prior to 10/05!

Your $25 deposit is fully refundable through 6/06, so if you didn't end up in the cabin you wanted, you could always cancel. I don't want to convince you one way or another as to what you should do, but I can assure you it won't matter much to wait several months.

Why do you need a cabin assignment this early? I'm just curious. I plan to fully deposit my reservation sometime around Thanksgiving, although I may opt to remain a guarantee. I have not made up my mind yet. If you are looking for an aft balcony or another more desirable cabin, then I am inclined to say deposit no late than October. But that's up to you.

Hope this helps.

Why do you need a cabin assignment this early? I'm just curious. I plan to fully deposit my reservation sometime around Thanksgiving, although I may opt to remain a guarantee. I have not made up my mind yet. If you are looking for an aft balcony or another more desirable cabin, then I am inclined to say deposit no late than October. But that's up to you.Hope this helps.

Hello,

I just did not know that was the procedure.. and as my answer states, I intend to sign up no matter what. just looking at budget that was all. And considering if I would want a guarantee or not .. or just to update deposit later like you mentioned. But all in all ~ Going!!

Two Two two vacations for our hero!! Yahoo! and the best of it all ... with love right by your side! It don't get better than that! I wish you best of health, wealth and happiness on this "journey" of your life!

It gives me hope in mine! To dream the impossible dream.. yea! :)

so Its off to see the Wizard <kevin> the wonderful Wizard of Oz <Diving,cruising,fun> !! Because, because because!!! of the wonderful things he does! :D

I am going to talk to Kevin next week and plunk down my $25. If my husband decides he wants to join me, maybe I will let him share my room. he he he I can have two big vacations to look forward to at the same time. YEA!!!!! I am loving my life.

kathalinamarie:

You'll need to check with Kevin at Crucon, but the reduced $25pp deposit is for DOUBLE Occupancy cabins only. I believe with a single, you need to plunk down a $250 deposit. Single 1A cabins in the past have always required a full $250 deposit; the reason I was told was becase there are so few of them around.

Hi Everyone!

Here is dive pricing information for the group. Prices are what I expected, but if you haven't been to the Caribbean lately, you'll have to get over the sticker shock. Here is the list. Let me know if you have questions:

Belize $118pp 2 tanks - Ride along Snorkeler $97 (Ouch)

Grand Cayman $104pp 2 tanks - Ride along Snorkeler $35

Roatan $81pp 2 tanks includes equipment - Ride along Snorkeler $23

Cozumel $67pp 2 tanks DAY or 1 tank NIGHT $49pp

If you dive in all four ports of call, and do only DAY dives, your total package cost is $370pp. If you do two tank day dives in Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman and the one tank night dive in Cozumel, your dive package cost is $352pp.

You are welcome to mix and match, and compare prices. I am open to suggestions. None of the dive ops are affiliated with the cruise line.

If you plan to travel with non divers, with the exception of Cozumel, they are welcome on the dive boat, although the cost to ride along in Belize is more than the cost to go diving in some ports!

Equipment rentals are pricey, so I recommend you bring your own. The dives in Roatan include your equipment - but I still say, if you have your own stuff, bring it!!

Hello Suzi ~ you will be so happy.. I am signed on as of tonight. just have to make the insurance call tomorrow and email the confirmation back to Kevin!! My fiance John is all signed in as well!! Yahoo!

Valor Viz!! :)

That's great! I've added you to my group list; I'll be sending you periodic group updates and our monthly newsetter.

I can't wait!!

Archived