Rome Hotel

threeoverfour

I have been trying to decipher the existing Rome hotel threads and tripadvisor with minimal luck. We had hoped to book the Hotel Sonya with a group of others from our roll call but they are sold out. We'd like to find a decent hotel that is close to all the sites. This is our first trip to Europe and I know the hotels will be different than North America but we'd still like to find a nice, clean, comfortable hotel in a safe area within walking distance to the termini, Colloseum, etc. In Fort Lauderdale, we normally stay at the Hyatt Place 17th Street and in San Juan we've stayed at the Intercontinental and Sheraton so I guess we'd use those hotels as American references for the cleanliness, appearance, etc. of the type of hotel we're after. I understand the rooms and hotels will be smaller, etc. in Rome but I just wanted to distinguish what we're after. Basically, we don't need the Ritz but don't really want the Travelodge either.

You need to decide how much you are willing to spend. Rome hotels are expensive. If the posts on this board and the reviews on Trip Advisor have not convinced you yet, I don't know what will.

I feel like I've looked at a million hotels today. It is really unbelievable how many options there are in this city. I've found a couple right near the trevi fountain that look pretty nice, have good ratings and are quite a bit less expensive than the Albergo del Senato. Can anyone comment on that area?

Yes, there are many options. If you have looked at a million hotels, no wonder you can't make a decision.:eek:

Many, many people LOVE Albergo del Senato. It is in a great area.

If the other hotel near there is less expensive, and it meets your criteria:

nice, clean, comfortable hotel in a safe area then book it.

Once you have settled on a hotel, relax!

Rome is amazing, and you will not be in your hotel room for very long. You will want to be out exploring!

Good luck and enjoy your visit to Italy!

I have been trying to decipher the existing Rome hotel threads and tripadvisor with minimal luck. We had hoped to book the Hotel Sonya with a group of others from our roll call but they are sold out. We'd like to find a decent hotel that is close to all the sites. This is our first trip to Europe and I know the hotels will be different than North America but we'd still like to find a nice, clean, comfortable hotel in a safe area within walking distance to the termini, Colloseum, etc. In Fort Lauderdale, we normally stay at the Hyatt Place 17th Street and in San Juan we've stayed at the Intercontinental and Sheraton so I guess we'd use those hotels as American references for the cleanliness, appearance, etc. of the type of hotel we're after. I understand the rooms and hotels will be smaller, etc. in Rome but I just wanted to distinguish what we're after. Basically, we don't need the Ritz but don't really want the Travelodge either.

We always stay at Hotel Rex in the Via Torino, a side street with very little traffic noise , 5 minutes walking from Hotel Sonya. It is a nice little hotel with an extremely friendly and helpful staff.

Actually we have booked this hotel again for next year november.

Hotel Rex is reasonably priced, small (48 rooms) and clean 4* hotel in a convenient location near Teatro dell'Opera di Roma, Quirinalepalace, Piazza della Repubblica, walking distance to Termini station, Collosseum, Forum, National Art Gallery, Villa Borghese, Spanish steps etc. There are many good restaurants in the surroundings and they will provide you with a map. They offer a good hot breakfast buffet and have helpful friendly staff.

The Hoho buses have a stop near the Sta Maria Maggiore which is nearby.

We always book with Flavia. She gave us nice spacious rooms at the lateral side of the hotel.

When going to Rome we will always return to this hotel because of the excellent location and experienced great service.

You can check out their website at: http://www.hotelrex.net

Good luck!

Cruisemom (and any other experts). Now that we've booked the hotel, can you advise:

-transportation to the hotel - take the hotel's Euro 55 private car, taxi, other?

-transportation to the port - I think you were suggesting the train. Which station, how do we get there?

-Suggested schedule for Rome to see the sites? We are arriving at the airport early am on the 16th and expect to be at the hotel around 10am. We do have some time in the am on the 18th before we have to board the ship but generally speaking we like to be on the ship shortly after noon and before 2pm or so.

-Good non-touristy restaurants that are walkable.

Thanks!

Cruisemom (and any other experts). Now that we've booked the hotel, can you advise:

-transportation to the hotel - take the hotel's Euro 55 private car, taxi, other?

-transportation to the port - I think you were suggesting the train. Which station, how do we get there?

-Suggested schedule for Rome to see the sites? We are arriving at the airport early am on the 16th and expect to be at the hotel around 10am. We do have some time in the am on the 18th before we have to board the ship but generally speaking we like to be on the ship shortly after noon and before 2pm or so.

Thanks!

We have used Stefanos "Rome Cabs" several times and have them booked again for next May. The cost from the airport to Rome hotel is 50 euro and from hotel to port is 130 euro. Also my very favorite place for pizza in Rome is

Da Baffetos (touristy but fun)which is near Piazza Navona.Another is Piccolo Buco near the Trevi Fountain which we just discovered this year. Try using Google directions for walking maps from your hotel to different locations,including restaurants. You can even click on "street view" and get directions with pictures. Works great.Tripadviser is wonderful for finding great restaurants.

Now that we've booked the hotel, can you advise:

A taxi would be 40 Euro, but the driver may not speak English, if that's important to you.

The easiest station to reach from the del Senato would be Roma Trastevere. You'd need to walk to Largo Argentina (0.3 mile) and take the #8 tram from there to the station. The Trastevere station has elevators at each track so there's no need to schlep luggage up and down stairs.

One of the best aspects of the del Senato is the location. On your arrival day you can easily walk from the hotel to the Pantheon (right in front of you), Piazza Navona, and the Trevi Fountain. If you are feeling a little worn out at that point you'll be very close to the hotel, so you could stop back in for a short nap, then head out again for a few hours before dinner.

One of my current favorites is only a few blocks south of the del Senato, La Pigna in Piazza La Pigna.

We are staying at the Bernini Bristol near the colesseum,etc...We have never been there but friends have....use AMEX to reserve for upgarde and breakfast We are on the Celebrity Equinox on the 31st Good luck

We are staying at the Bernini Bristol near the colesseum,etc...We have never been there but friends have....use AMEX to reserve for upgarde and breakfast We are on the Celebrity Equinox on the 31st Good luck

The hotel the OP has reserved is in the best location in Rome.

Euro Cruiser... I would love to try La Pigna. I am familiar with Rome and would appreciate it if you could tell me where it is located. We are staying at Hotel DePetris near the Trevi fountain. I know you said it was near del Senato but when I try to find it on a google map it is giving me directions to a piazza near the Coliseum so I know that is wrong. I also appreciate all your great advise.This will be our 3rd visit to Rome so plan on seeing some things we have not seen before. our plans are a guide in the Forum/Palatine Hill and a walk in Travestere and the Jewish Quarter and hanging out!! Can't wait to NOT be rushing around like a idiot.!:D Thanks!

Euro Cruiser... I would love to try La Pigna. I am familiar with Rome and would appreciate it if you could tell me where it is located. We are staying at Hotel DePetris near the Trevi fountain. I know you said it was near del Senato but when I try to find it on a google map it is giving me directions to a piazza near the Coliseum so I know that is wrong. I also appreciate all your great advise.This will be our 3rd visit to Rome so plan on seeing some things we have not seen before. our plans are a guide in the Forum/Palatine Hill and a walk in Travestere and the Jewish Quarter and hanging out!! Can't wait to NOT be rushing around like a idiot.!:D Thanks!

Here's a link to a Google map that looks accurate.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?daddr=Piazza+della+Pigna%2C+54+RomeItaly

Thank you so much.

I now have walking directions,with street view from my hotel, Hotel DePetris to la Pigna restaurant. It is only about 14 minutes, .7 of a mile. I love Google!!!! We will eat there our 2nd night and go to my other fav,Piccolo Buco the first night because it is so close to our hotel.. Do we need a reservation?

Hey all - sorry to barge in to this quite helpful thread, but we're headed to Rome next month. We were able to get rooms at the Rome Cavalieri (using points). Has anyone stayed there? What did you think? How about the Imperial Club?

Also, I've had trouble finding some "authentic" restaurants to try in Rome. Prefer higher-end types, but don't want the sort that cater to tourists. Any thoughts, Rome experts?

Hey all - sorry to barge in to this quite helpful thread, but we're headed to Rome next month. We were able to get rooms at the Rome Cavalieri (using points). Has anyone stayed there? What did you think? How about the Imperial Club?

Also, I've had trouble finding some "authentic" restaurants to try in Rome. Prefer higher-end types, but don't want the sort that cater to tourists. Any thoughts, Rome experts?

Well there are a few suggestions on this thread but they are NOT "higher end" but rather reasonably priced family run restaurants that the locals enjoy.That is the kind of place I like to go to.

A great place to find restaurants is on Trip Adviser. There is a place to enter your criteria in order to narrow your search. You can pick price range,food type etc etc. I have been to Rome 3 times but you would probably not like the same places I do. Have fun planning. There are several others on this thread that will be able to give you some suggestions.

The hotel is lovely, but a bit out of town. You'll need to take a cab or other transit into town for touring.

There is an excellent restaurant right in your hotel, La Pergola.

The following is a list I put together for our trip next month. The distances noted are from our hotel, not yours, but the list is good.

La Pergola

la+pergola.jpg

Situated a little outside of the historic center, La Pergola's top floor location at the Cavalieri Hilton hotel commands a phenomenal view of Vatican City. It's also the only three-star Michelin restaurant in Rome. (Click on the restaurant name to view their web site.)

Il Pagliaccio

Il+Pagliaccio.jpg

Il Pagliacio is not far from Campo dei Fiori or Piazza Navona, on a block that parallels Via Giulia, a famous street of palazzi and antique shops. (Click on the restaurant name to view their web site.)

Checchino dal 1887

Checchino+dal+1887.png

As the name indicates, Checchino dal 1887 has been a favorite in Rome for more than a century. Located in the Testaccio section, it is a little over three miles from our hotel.

Agata e Romeo

Agata+e+Romeo.jpg

Less than a mile from our hotel (about ten blocks on foot) and quite close to the beautiful Santa Maria Maggiore, Agata e Romeo's decor matches its high end cuisine.

Ristorante Piperno

Perhaps the most well known restaurant in the Jewish Ghetto, Piperno is about a mile and a third from our hotel.

Il Convivio

Il+Convivio.jpg

Also about a mile and a third from our hotel, Il Convivio offers high end cuisine in a more intimate atmosphere.

Mirabelle

mirabelle.jpg

Talk about a room with a view! Located just south of Villa Borghese, Mirabelle overlooks Rome from the opposite direction of the first restaurant on our list (La Pergola, at the Hilton). Mirabelle is just seven tenths of a mile from our hotel.

I have a few favors, PLEASE! I have friends that are traveling to Rome and pre-staying 2 nights prior to the cruise. Can you Please recommend 3 different hotels that would have breakfast included, that are nice but not over priced and close to the highlights, such as Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and THE VATICAN. It is for 3 couples to celebrate life! I have never been to Rome and would like to help them find the perfect hotel. They have been to Rome previously and said alot of places were closed, as they were there on a Sunday. This time, also, they will be there on a Sunday-Tuesday.

Also-what is the recommended means of transportation from the Airport to the hotel and then the Hotel to the ship in Civitavecchia. Also-who would you recommend for a walking tour in Rome to see the highlights.

Thank you very much!

Michele

Michele, I'll do what I can and we'll both hope that others chime in with their thoughts and recommendations as well.

Given the amount of time I've spent in Rome over the past decade I have a fairly limited experience of hotels. I've stayed in and loved the Albergo del Senato (http://www.albergodelsenato.it/) and the Albergo Santa Chiara (http://www.albergosantachiara.com/english/), both of which are ideally located. Most of the other places I've stayed wouldn't really fit with what you are looking for.

Other than the Vatican Museums, I can't think of too many places that are closed on Sundays in Rome. Many are open seven days a week:

• St. Peter's Basilica
  • Colosseum/Forum/Palatine
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Pantheon
  • Piazza Navona
  • Spanish Steps
  • San Clemente
  • Gesu

Monday is a more typical closing day:

• Capitoline Museums
  • Galleria Borghese
  • Castel Sant'Angelo
  • Botanical Gardens
  • Trajan's Markets
  • Villa d'Este (Tivoli)

The trip from Rome to Civitavecchia is one place to splurge and pay for a car service. If you can negotiate a good deal for the same company to also pick you up at the airport, then go for it. Otherwise a taxi works fine, especially because of the fixed 40 Euro fare, you know what you're gettting into.

I have a few favors, PLEASE! I have friends that are traveling to Rome and pre-staying 2 nights prior to the cruise. Can you Please recommend 3 different hotels that would have breakfast included, that are nice but not over priced and close to the highlights, such as Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and THE VATICAN. It is for 3 couples to celebrate life! I have never been to Rome and would like to help them find the perfect hotel. They have been to Rome previously and said alot of places were closed, as they were there on a Sunday. This time, also, they will be there on a Sunday-Tuesday.

Also-what is the recommended means of transportation from the Airport to the hotel and then the Hotel to the ship in Civitavecchia. Also-who would you recommend for a walking tour in Rome to see the highlights.

Thank you very much!

Michele

We use RomeCabs for all our transfers. It's 45 euros from the airport to your Rome hotel. It's such a relief after an overnight flight to pick up your bags and then see a driver holding a sign with your name on it.

We love Hotel Prati which is very close to the Vatican. There is a bus stop a block and a half away with buses on routes that go to most of the tourist sites without having to change buses. It is very clean, in a safe neighborhood, has a great staff, and is reasonably priced. Their breakfast is just ok - pastries, juice, and a fancy coffee machine. We stayed 2.5 weeks there in April and 2.5 weeks in April 2010 so you know we love it.

We also spent several nights at Hotel Golden in November 2009. It is near Via Veneto. It has the same features as I mentioned with the other hotel, but the breakfast is better with more variety. We did not stay there on our return trips because its location wasn't as convenient for sightseeing for us. (DH has mobility problems so a convenient home base location is critical for us.)

Archived