triumph to canada

Lefty1

has anyone been on triumph to canada - i am thinking about going but it would not be until middle of august.

i have been on miracle last year and it was nice - i was lucky though - went in august and missed hurricanes - how are the seas going toward canada? also do u think august it will still be nice (weather wise and hot).

i believe triumph goes to halifax - it would be me, my husband and my 16 year old - what is there to do there.

any input on this would be helpful -- cabins, food, pool, etc.

thank u

The Triumph is a nice ship, bigger and different from the Miracle, but it gives you a chance to be on something different.

Sailed up to Halifax twice; the seas were fine. We went in mid and late Sept, and the weather was warm, but did not pack for it. We figured it would be cooler, but once you hit the gulf steam, it was beautiful.

Halifax is a nice city. Plenty to do, from strolling around the city, the Titanic Museum, the Citadel, or even Peggy's Cove.

Will you be going to St. Johns as well?

no pete just halifax - as the only time i can take vacation is august, i was thinking about this option of canada - like i said - last year i went 8/21 on miracle and was so lucky - weather was perfect - once i returned to ny - then florida got hit with another hurricane so i was lucky - i don't know if my luck will be good this time and i know going to canada i can still hit hurricane weather. i enjoy the warm weather, especially sitting in the sun so i was just wondering if i will be able to enjoy that going to canda.

thank u for u input.

We are considering the Triumph to Canada in late August. Does anyone know what happens if the northeast is expected to get hit with a hurricane/storm? I know you take a chance of mssing ports when cruising during hurricane season - where might the Triumph head as an alternative to Halifax and St. Johns? Thanks for any feedback.

I don't mean to nit-pick, Really I don't....but coming from SAINT JOHN, it really bothers us (Saint Johners) When our beautiful city is referred to as St. John's. For the record, St. John's is in Newfoundland, while we are located in New Brunswick...and SAINT is never abbreviated...and there's no 's'....I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers!!!!!

Enjoy your cruise to Canada, where ever you end up!!

Cheers! :D

well my message was asking about triumph and cruise to canada - it really was not implying about st. john's or saint johns - maybe she just wanted to abbreviate it which i feel it did not matter - i just wanted input on the cruise and sorry u felt that way about what I&ms.mom said - well hopefully someone will just give me information i need and i can decide - triumph goes to halifax and that is all i have asked.

hope we did not stir anybody's feathers

well my message was asking about triumph and cruise to canada - it really was not implying about st. john's or saint johns - maybe she just wanted to abbreviate it which i feel it did not matter - i just wanted input on the cruise and sorry u felt that way about what I&ms.mom said - well hopefully someone will just give me information i need and i can decide - triumph goes to halifax and that is all i have asked.

I am sure he meant no offence, but it is a local bone of contention. As far as the weather goes, it will be the same as you would expect to find in New England that time of year.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/stats/pages/C02000.htm?CANS0057

For a quick Metric temp conversion double it and add 32: 23C would be approx 78 degrees.

I live in Halifax and have been on the Triumph. I think it's a beautiful ship.

Coming to Halifax in August is a great time. The weather is better the first two weeks of August than towards the end. It's also a fun time in Halifax because the city hosts (for two weeks) an international busker festival, so there's street entertainers from all over the world here at that time. It's free too. It's a time when the waterfront can be very crowded, but that's all part of the appeal. There's lots to do from taking an excursion to Peggy's Cove or just wondering around on your own. Lots to do within walking distance of the pier. Check out the thread on this on the Ports of Call board.

Hope you visit our beautiful city. You'll love it.

We did the triumph in mid September of 2002. I loved the ship!! In Halifax we rented 2 lincoln navigators (we had 13 people) and drove to Peggy's Cove and did some sight seeing, it was great and alot cheaper than all of us paying for a tour!! It was beautiful there, and warmer than we thought it would be. The water was smooth when we went. Hope this helps!!

We will be taking the Triumph in September. We have previously done the 5 day cruise on Voyager. In regard to the ports, Halifax is great! Wonderful walking along the boardwalk. Much to see. We were disappointed in the stop in Saint John (sorry c85f9). Not much to see of interest. In regard to hurricanes, don't stress to much. It's highly unlikely and the worst case scenario is that you will enjoy some extra time at sea.

Well, I guess it is me that started the SAINT John thing. My apologies. I know there's a difference between the two, because I've seen it brought up before. I just didn't know which is which.

So now I know I have only been to Saint John.

Guest cruzr44

This is a five day which includes Saint John and Halifax. I too wondered about hurricane's but August is usually quiet for the Northeast (usually). Any cruise that includes the Atlantic can be rough any time of year or it can be smooth too. So I'm just going to take a chance. Hope the busker festival is there when we are! Looks like fun.

I was wondering what excursions to do. My husband and I are going- we are both very active people- he's 41 and I'm 38. I don't love sightseeing, but love to do action type excursions. I have never cruised on Carnival before, we have cruised on Norwegian ( didn't like it) and Royal Carribean ( Enchantment- loved it!!) Are there alot of kids on the Canada cruises over the summer out of NY- I am leaving my teenaged kids home!!!! Anyone going with us?? I booked a balcony guaranty? Any suggestions....

I don't mean to nit-pick, Really I don't....but coming from SAINT JOHN, it really bothers us (Saint Johners) When our beautiful city is referred to as St. John's. For the record, St. John's is in Newfoundland, while we are located in New Brunswick...and SAINT is never abbreviated...and there's no 's'....I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers!!!!!

I feel your pain, from someone who lives near ***** and Greenville, and keeps getting them confused. And at the risk of providing a hearty guffas at my expense, I'll confess that DW and I did a transatlantic that had a port at St. Johns two years ago. Last year, we did a Northeast to Canada and had a port at Saint John. When we got there, we decided to do a walking tour on our own, as (to our recollection) we had seen many of the sights before, and just wanted to walk around and enjoy.

We spent three or four hours walking around new areas that we hadn't seen before, then wanted to walk down to the harbour to see the statues of the Labrador retriever and Newfoundland. We struggled around trying to resolve what we remembered with what we saw, but finally decided to go back to the ship.

In the ship's library, with atlas in hand, we discovered the source of our confusion, that we had been in a similarly named city, but with a completely different layout (but many of the same street names, from the British heritage).

The only thing that made the revelation less damning, was that although we had volunteered to some of our friends that "we know all about this city, so take a walking tour with us", they had opted for more formal tours of the area. Needless to say, if they had joined us, we would have never lived it down.

So in summary, let me say that both Saint John and St. John's are lovely cities, and both are peopled with helpful and polite citizens, they are indeed, two different places. :)

This is a five day which includes Saint John and Halifax. I too wondered about hurricane's but August is usually quiet for the Northeast (usually). Any cruise that includes the Atlantic can be rough any time of year or it can be smooth too. So I'm just going to take a chance. Hope the busker festival is there when we are! Looks like fun.

We were fortunate to be in Halifax for the Busker Festival last year. Although it rained quite a bit, it was still a lot of fun as the Buskers take up a good portion of the extended boardwalk. The funny thing is that I'm from NYC where street and subway performers are the norm, but had never heard the expression "busker." Now I know that a busker is a street performer. Some are exceptionally talented, better than some of the junk you see on tv!

The weather in the northeast is nice in August. You get some hot days and the nights can get a little cool. But generally, August weather is the best. Don't worry about hurricanes. I think the last storm we got hit with one in MA is Hurricane Bob back in 1991.

I didn't mean to start trouble!! It's a pride thing! I'm sorry!

Lefty: I understand you were looking for info on a particular cruise, I just felt the need to defend my city's name, where I thought it might be needed before those who know the difference got confused. I hope you got the info you needed =o)

Big Duck: I am a 'she', but thanks for your input!

I&MsMom: No apologies necessary, it happens all the time....

Yogimax: It's ok that you didn't enjoy Saint John, we are a fairly new cruise destination, and we are constantly undergoing facelifts to improve our city in the eyes of visitors. It's not for everybody!

MrPete: No Biggie, now you know the difference! I hope you enjoyed your time in Saint John!

jcrandle: Thanks for the sympathy. That's a great story about your encounter with St. John's/ Saint John! It should serve as a lesson to all those who think they're in Newfoundland while visiting Saint John!

All: I apologize once again for stirring this proverbial pot. I only wanted to clear something up. I hope you understand. If you ever have the pleassure of visiting our city, you'll certainly impress the locals by knowing the difference! And if anybody needs any information about Saint John, I will gladly be of assistance!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I are doing the 5 night cruise leaving on July 30. I am also leaving the kids home. But, was curious.

-Are their a lot of kids on this cruise?

-What is the better the early or late seatings for dinner?

-And when do the shows usually start?

Too bad if you were offended by those of us who refer to Saint John as the port in New Brunswick. Since this is how Carnival's Brochure refers to it that is the term we use. Perhaps you could notify Carnival of this blunder.

Norma

Saint John is New Brunswick and St. John's is Newfoundland!! Not hard to remember.. I dont think there is an error anywhere but in peoples minds!! Maybe learn some Canuck History may help hehe!!!

We really enjoyed our visit to Saint John last year; took the one-hour horse-drawn wagon tour and walked around on our own. The City Market is well worth a visit. The city tourism folks must be doing something right, because my oldest son said "I'd like to come back and spend more time here" - high praise from a teenager!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived